Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Football Clubs and 0870 (Read 5,712 times)
beginner

Football Clubs and 0870
Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:49pm

After reading the Southampton FC submission to Ofcom, my thoughts were to get some members to attach themselves to Club website forums and let them see the attitude of their 'owners' to profiteering at the fans expense.
This would be a huge 'public' market to 'educate' in 0870 rip-off culture.

I also note the IT Manager at the club thinks that 0870 is 6p a minute, and his overseas fans would be disadvantaged!!??

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: Football Clubs and 0870
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:10pm

HERE is that response.

I don't see his problem.  If he wants revenue share, get an 09 number to the same value!

Oh, no, can't do that.  Fans would realise they're being ripped off if they see an 09 number.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 5:15pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 11:03pm

Quote:
After reading the Southampton FC submission to Ofcom, my thoughts were to get some members to attach themselves to Club website forums and let them see the attitude of their 'owners' to profiteering at the fans expense.
This would be a huge 'public' market to 'educate' in 0870 rip-off culture.

At first I thought this would be a really good idea.  I checked out the website for my team (birmingham city) and found half a dozen different 0871s (from general enquiries, customer services, ticket enquires, merchandise etc etc) !!!  Plenty to get my teeth into there!!!

Then I began to think that football fans might think the use of 0870s as more acceptable simply out of a loyalty to their club in which case it would prove difficult to discuss the matter objectively on a messageboard.  You certainly wouldn't persuade fans to boycott the ticket hotline, that's for sure.

Having said that, I too oppose clubs' use of numbers in this way and as raised by Heize it would be far more honest to use an equivalently priced 09 number.   The response by Southampton FC shows how blatantly 0870s are used and surprisingly how justified companies feel they are to use them.

What do others think?

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 3:02pm

I just read their response, and they claim that the "inconvenience" of moving to an 0871 number, which would cost the fans more would be so bad.  They also say about running competition lines.  Surely competition lines can be on 090.

Also, the inconvenience they speak of involves the huge cost of re-advertising, and having to tell everyone their new numbers.  If it is such a huge inconvenience, how did they manage when they decided to start 0870 numbers in the first place.  Surely using the same sense of logic, it would have been easier to keep their old geo numbers, because the cost of having to change the stationary to accommodate the 0870 numbers would have made changing numbers not worthwhile.

Or perhaps the real reason, is because they can extract money from their fans, without their fans realising that they're paying a premium rate call.  Many people are unaware that 0870 costs more, and even fewer know that some of that extra cost is given to the person they're calling.

Then I began to think that football fans might think the use of 0870s as more acceptable simply out of a loyalty to their club in which case it would prove difficult to discuss the matter objectively on a messageboard.  You certainly wouldn't persuade fans to boycott the ticket hotline, that's for sure.

Well it costs only a few quid to make a t-shirt for instance, and some of the premier league clubs decide to charge about £50 just to have their name printed on there.  Some football clubs in the lower leagues charge less than £5 for their fans to watch their games, but premier league teams might charge around £50, and then double the price if it's a big game, because fans will happily pay the price.

Therefore using that same sense of logic, it makes no difference whether they use 0870, or geographic numbers, fans will still call.  And the spin that Southampton FC put on their 0870 case, it won't take much to convince fans that it's worth paying extra for the privilege of speaking to them, and they're "doing them a favour by not charging 090 rates"

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2005 at 8:04pm

My football club uses 0208 number and even has an 0800 for ticket sales!
I think they use an 090 for "Match Day News reports".

Havent seen any 087* in use, oh and they charge an avg of £20 a ticket for home supporters and are in the premership, they do rip off the away supporters somtimes as much as £50 a ticket.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge