Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC USING 0870 NUMBERS (Read 6,690 times)
grendawkin

Mid Wales Coast
BBC USING 0870 NUMBERS
Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:02am

The BBC may have featured this site in glowing terms, but they are now employing extensive use of 0870 themselves.

WHAT HYPOCRACY  Angry

This is even on Traffic Reports, they expect YOU to pay THEM to ring in and warn others of traffic problems !!!  
Angry

If people stop ringing in as a result of this, they will have no traffic reports.

IP Logged

nrg710

UK
Re: BBC USING 0870 NUMBERS
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 6:29am

Well said that man! Every time I hear "0870" on the Beeb it makes my blood boil.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 1:31pm

grendawkin wrote on Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:02am:
The BBC may have featured this site in glowing terms, but they are now employing extensive use of 0870 themselves.

WHAT HYPOCRACY  Angry

This is even on Traffic Reports, they expect YOU to pay THEM to ring in and warn others of traffic problems !!! 
Angry

If people stop ringing in as a result of this, they will have no traffic reports.

And the ridiculous thing is my local BBC radio station advertises 0500 827 362 as their traffic reports contact number – exactly the same number as given by other counties’ local BBC stations.  In other words, it’s a central system – and probably goes to the same place as that 0870 number!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 3:25pm

And the ridiculous thing is my local BBC radio station advertises 0500 827 362 as their traffic reports contact number – exactly the same number as given by other counties’ local BBC stations.  In other words, it’s a central system – and probably goes to the same place as that 0870 number!

And when you want to call that freephone number, where will you be:

A - In your car, and you pull over to make the call (or you're a passenger and make the call without pulling in) using your mobile where 0500 calls may not be included in your inclusive minutes, making it more expensive than geographic numbers, or

B - At home, or at work, where you will have no idea what the traffic is like because you're not driving!!

Seems like the BBC think the answer is B.

It's not just the BBC, my local commercial station advertises 08000 727142 to report traffic problems, which I think is an outside agency who supply the reports to various local stations.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 11:01pm

grendawkin wrote on Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:02am:

There is nothing new about this.

The BBC has been a relentless serial abuser of 0870 numbers ever since it outsourced all its call centre arrangements to Capita 7 or 8 years ago.

The BBC is one of the most unabashed serial liars about 0870 in all its most pernicious forms.  They always blather on about enhanced call handling etc, etc, assuming that is that you don't encounter one of the staff who still maintain "its only the BT National Rate Sir"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge