Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Media: Comms Dealer (Read 4,280 times)
Tanllan
Supreme Member

Media: Comms Dealer
Dec 9th, 2005 at 3:44pm

The December issue leads with "Resellers unite to rescue 0870 profiuts from Ofcom". I can't find a URL for the magazine/article, but it mentions a special report and refers to http://www.inboundresellers.com

ye gods.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Media: Comms Dealer
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 4:41pm

Well I suppose there may perhaps have been people who argued that the loss of the German concentration camps would lead to the loss of many jobs and vital economic activity in the German economy.  A firm caled Topf & Sons would certainly have been one.

Its the same old lies here. Allegedly difficult to change numbers on stationery, not enough numbers on 0871 to migrate to (which is clearly where they expect most of their customers to go) etc.  And the trouble is sleepy Ofcom usually falls for all these lies hook, line and sinker.  Or rather they prefer to fall for these lies.

If its really so painful to change numbers then how did all these people change off their geographic numbers in the first place?  Why by just having an announcement on their old number asking you to call their new number and that's how it could be done again.  These number announcement services charge a flat quarerly rate to the called party.  All the stuff on OCP and TCP and revenue share doesn't apply.

Why is there a shortage of 0871 numbers then?  Surely there are 10 million of them available unless I have missed something (and the 0872 and 0873 after that as Dave points out)?  Also its revealing that most of his members want to go 0871 and not 0844.

I suppose there would even be people out there representing the White Slavers Association putting in arguments as to why 18 year old girls not being able to be trafficked into prostitution from Eastern Europe was bad for the uk economy! Shocked
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005 at 5:12pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Quote:
Why is there a shortage of 0871 numbers then?  Surely they are 10 million of them unless I have missed something? ...

I must be a simpleton! I thought that when they changed the numbers to 0845 and 0870 (from 0345/0645 and 0990) it was to give spare capacity so that we could have 0871, 0872 and so on when 0870 was exhausted, with a similar arrangemnt for 0845.

So after the 10 million 0870s are allocated, we would still have 90 million 087 numbers left. Instead, in 1999 the wonderful Oftel devised new premium rate numbers 0844 and 0871!  Huh

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 5:23pm

Dave wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 4:54pm:
I must be a simpleton!

No.
But the industry must think that we are and that it is worth a try - after all it worked in defeating Oftel over expanding the 0800 range and so now we have six and seven digit 0800 numbers.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 5:34pm

Many salesmen will stop at almost nothing when praying at the altar of their great god - MONEY

The majority of salesemen I have encountered seemed unable to tell right from wrong, truth from falsehood, good from evil and so on and would act in almost any way required to increase the size of their monthly salary cheque.

None of this would matter if we had a regulator truly committed to putting its duties under Section 3 of the Communications Act 2003 ahead of those expressed in Section 6 whenever there is a conflict between the two.  Unfortunately for this to happen Ofcom staff would themselves need to receive a greater level of sales commission from their employers (the government) for carrying out their duties under Section 3 of the Act instead of those specified under Section 6.  Unfortunately at present the reverse seems to possibly be the case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge