Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Herts police now using 0800 incident number (Read 12,901 times)
mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Herts police now using 0800 incident number
Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:11am

So the police have finally learned somthing.

The Explosions at Hemel today, the police have released an 0800 for the incident hotline.

0800 096 0095

edit: AND an overseas GN number!!!! 020 7158 0125
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:16am by mc661 »  

IP Logged

Smasher

UK
Re: Herts police now using 0800 incident number
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:22am

Not only that, but they have also issued an overseas number at the same time (during the press briefing)!  Looks like we really did achieve something there!  Grin

However, just as I'm finishing this message, he's announced a number for NHS Direct: 0845...  Sad Angry Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 9:55pm

A step in the right direction, but still very expensive to ring on my PAYG 02 mobile phone and the call costs are NOT included in my free minutes allowance in the evening or weekends.  The Herts police will also get billed heavily by the 0800 number provider for the service and because the Police are in the public sector, we will pay for the costs and the profits of the 0800 number through our taxes we pay.   We haven't really won at all, not until conventional geographic numbers are displayed period!!

Alt
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2005 at 9:57pm by Alternative »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:01pm

Alternative wrote on Dec 11th, 2005 at 9:55pm:
A step in the right direction, but still very expensive to ring on my PAYG 02 mobile phone and the call costs are NOT included in my free minutes allowance in the evening or weekends.  The Herts police will also get billed heavily by the 0800 number provider for the service and because the Police are in the public sector, we will pay for the costs and the profits of the 0800 number through our taxes we pay.   We haven't really won at all, not until conventional geographic numbers are displayed period!!

Alt

Read post 1 in this thread for the GN number also supplied.

Or are you going to moan that this says its from overseas?  If people aren't aware that 0800 cost loads more so they need to call the overseas number there is really no hope for them.  Of course I agree that ideally it would say it is for overseas and mobile phones.

Perhaps you would care to send the Chief Constable of Herts Police and Pito a couple of emails to make this suggestion to them.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005 at 7:37pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #4 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 10:54pm

Sorry, NGM.  I didn't see that an alternative GN was provided and in this case, it is a victory although there will be many people who will not realise that they can still dial the GN even if they are not overseas.  I suppose my original comments can be taken 'generally' where an 0800 number has been quoted alone without an alternative GN which is frequently the case.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Dec 11th, 2005 at 11:17pm

One problem is where dim people try to be clever, which was behind many of the 087/084 excuses. I have an idea that THA 0808 numbers (Telephone Helplines Association) were still to be properly free from payphones and mobiles, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.
But, of course, a normal geographic number is the answer. With slightly better doubles and patterns (not too fancy) for special numbers.
Or is this to plain and simple? (And time for me to go to bed.)
But not before noting that if people tried to run things properly instead of trying to be clever with 087/084/080 etc - and failing because they did not understand the implications.  Sad

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 2:24am

nah theyll issue a special free from mobiles number which will be 0888 but would be charged at 5p a min from landlines.......

Lol sort of thing ofcon would forget to notice...

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 9:59am

Tks mc661.
Fortunately I did not read that until this morning - or I might have had nightmares. Shocked  Dear oh dear.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2005 at 11:35am

mc661 wrote on Dec 12th, 2005 at 2:24am:
nah theyll issue a special free from mobiles number which will be 0888 but would be charged at 5p a min from landlines

I wonder how much 00 800 is charged at from most uk mobile phones and I bet the customer services department won't be able to tell you. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2005 at 7:38pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge