Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
re: Pot calling BBC Watchdog kettle MOVED thread (Read 3,643 times)
barclay55

London
re: Pot calling BBC Watchdog kettle MOVED thread
Dec 17th, 2005 at 10:05pm

Dave, why have you apparently moved the 'Pot calling BBC Watchdog kettle' thread to a new title under a new originator ?

It was started by me on 20 September before BBC Watchdog changed its number for the better. The very change of BBC Watchdog policy and change to a geographical number was first reported to us appropriately by NonGeographicalMan 'live' in reply 47 on 04 October at 19:06. In total there were 94 replies up to 25 October, the last being by yourself on that date.

Since then there has been one further reply by Cranhill on 13 December who had just seen on BBC Watchdog that "they displayed a London 020 contact number. Have Watchdog taken the hint and ditched the 0870 number?".

I have no problem at all with you Cranhill, the re-iteration is good so that all notice the change in policy that together we can make happen.

Its just that, Dave, if I reply to a thread, change the reply title from the default thread title and make the same point as was made in reply 47 ten weeks previously, will you promise to edit the originators title, move my reply and make me appear as originator of a new thread?  

I do not understand why this forum should be different to the vast majority of others, in that an apparently new thread should not be started when the subject under discussion already has a thread established.

Its not as if Cranhill’s reply is in any way tangential to my original thread.

Also how is it Cranhills reply was at 19:48 13 December, exactly the same time as you moved the orginal thread?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Pot calling BBC Watchdog kettle MOVED thread
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2005 at 10:47pm

barclay55 wrote on Dec 17th, 2005 at 10:05pm:
Dave, why have you apparently moved the 'Pot calling BBC Watchdog kettle' thread to a new title under a new originator ?

I haven't. The thread is here.

Since then there has been one further reply by Cranhill on 13 December who had just seen on BBC Watchdog that "they displayed a London 020 contact number. Have Watchdog taken the hint and ditched the 0870 number?".

Cranhill started a new thread and I thought it more appropriate to continue your thread. I then changed the title to reflect that, and put a note at the bottom of your post saying this.

That way we have one long thread on Watchdog, rather than one when they used 0870 and a new one now they use 020. The reason I thought that be to best was so as to avoid duplication. If we had two threads, people would discuss the new 020 number in your "Pot calling..." thread as well as the new thread.

Its just that, Dave, if I reply to a thread, change the reply title from the default thread title and make the same point as was made in reply 47 ten weeks previously, will you promise to edit the originators title, move my reply and make me appear as originator of a new thread?

I don't understand what you mean. Cranhill started a new thread. I joined it onto the end of your thread and thought it appropriate to change the thread name at the same time.

When I do join threads, the forum software creates another "MOVED: ..." thread, which has a link to where the thread was moved to. Is this what you're referring to? Basically this replaces the new thread/post which I moved.

I do not understand why this forum should be different to the vast majority of others, in that an apparently new thread should not be started when the subject under discussion already has a thread established.

So you are suggesting that we should have different threads running on the same topic?

Its not as if Cranhill’s reply is in any way tangential to my original thread.

No, but I felt that your thread was more about Watchdog's contact number in general, rather than the 0870 number. The discussion would naturally change to that of the 020 number, as it did. Hence the reason I made the change.

Also how is it Cranhills reply was at 19:48 13 December, exactly the same time as you moved the orginal thread?

That is the way the forum software works when posts threads are moved or spliced together.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge