Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OFCOM (Read 3,176 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

OFCOM
Feb 21st, 2006 at 4:26pm

Don't think there is already a thread for this although reference to the issue has I think appeared in others, if I am wrong I am sure someone will move it.  Today I decided to email Mr Hillier at OFCOM to ask when their new guidance was to be published (apparently end March 2006) and while doing this thought I would have another moan about NGNs but 084x in particular used by public sector organisations.

His response contained the following paragraph:

"I understand your concerns about the use of 08 numbers by public sector organisations, however our view is that the decision to use an 08 or 09 number is a matter for the organisation concerned and that it would not be appropriate for OFCOM to ban public sector organisations from using them.

Our approach has been to contribute to the COI's better practice guidelines etc etc"

I accept this probably tells you all nothing new but it was the most overt handwashing I had seen.  It also seems they would accept my local council using 09 nos, normally reserved for adult sites and competitions, which are covered by the BT call bar which most sensible people with children have.  If OFCOM would accept that, those people wouldn't be able to call their council from a landline at all!   

Obviously I emailed straight back "WHY?" - I'lb be interested to see his wriggling response!   ALso, it doesn't cover the issue of providing equivalent geog nos and letting the public make the choice!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

OFCON - The Telco Bandit's Friend
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 6:50am

Barbara wrote on Feb 21st, 2006 at 4:26pm:
I accept this probably tells you all nothing new but it was the most overt handwashing I had seen.  It also seems they would accept my local council using 09 nos, normally reserved for adult sites and competitions, which are covered by the BT call bar which most sensible people with children have.  If OFCOM would accept that, those people wouldn't be able to call their council from a landline at all!  

Obviously I emailed straight back "WHY?" - I'lb be interested to see his wriggling response!   Also, it doesn't cover the issue of providing equivalent geog nos and letting the public make the choice!

Barbara,

Sadly thus tells us nothing new other than that OfcoN seem completely unable to give any practical effect to the commitments imposed on it in the Communications Act 2003.  See www.ofcom.org.uk/about/sdrp/

Under the Communications Act 2003:
" 3(1) It shall be the principal duty of Ofcom, in carrying out their functions;
(a) to further the interests of citizens in relation to communications matters; and
(b) to further the interests of consumers in relevant markets, where appropriate by promoting competition"

However Ofcom prefer to pay much more attention to to two if its regulatory principles listed on the same web page:-

Ofcom will operate with a bias against intervention, but with a willingness to intervene firmly, promptly and effectively where required.

and

Ofcom will always seek the least intrusive regulatory mechanisms to achieve its policy objectives

Whilst Again Also Conveniently Ignoring

Ofcom will intervene where there is a specific statutory duty to work towards a public policy goal which markets alone cannot achieve

Ofcom are currently Proposing that 0870 be returned to National Rate one day (if that is they ever manage to stagger back to their palatial riverside offices from another massive blow out at a City restaurant with their telecoms industry chums for long enough to find the time) but not 0845 (which were originally sold to public sector organisations as being local rate from anywhere in the country but are now premium rate from anywhere and especially from mobiles) purely on the spurious basis that it might lose Wanadoo and various other ripoff ISPs with legacy customers on 0845 internet dialup some money.  Even though all these customers could easily be moved in technical terms to a 1p per minute at all times 0844 number.  But it might lose some revenue for a beloved industry telco friend which is something that the good old Ofcom buddies who once worked for such outfits in many cases could never countenance.

Let us hope that submissions such as my own in which I mention these proposals by Ofcom being unbelievably bad will have some impact.  But unfortunately as far as I can work out the government seems to wish to let Ofcom be a totally ineffectual and non interventionist regulator so that people like Mr Rupert Murdoch and its various chums at the BBC will continue to say nice things about it.  And Mr David Currie and Mr Stephen Carter at Ofcom seem to be much more concerned to do only whatever the government wants so as to float on to their knighthoods and peerages and another well paid government regulatory job rather than being prepared to fight any sort of crusade on behalf of the uk citizens and uk consumers whom it is supposed to be their principle duty to protect! Angry Angry Angry

See my response to the Ofcom consultation www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/sz/shersby.pdf  Especially my comments in Paragraph 5 on Page 9 of my response about Ofcom's proposals on 0845 being "unspeakably bad"
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2006 at 6:53am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge