Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan (Read 311,377 times)
kk

Re: Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan
Reply #45 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:36pm

Hi Andy9

My aim is it to keep all calls that cost more than the normal rate
or
are excluded from call packages, in one tariff class
, that being “09". I take your point about the calls up to 10p and have modified my previous post.  It is perfectly reasonable to modify or rearrange the suggested sub-classes within “09", but the basic principle should be to keep all extra cost call within one “09" range.

Ofcom’s suggestion to modify the “08" class into incremental bands misses a great opportunity to clean up the “08" class and keep it for free-phone numbers only.  We should encourage the growth of free numbers.  

The present problems have arisen by putting 087x and 084x side-by-side with 0800, so creating more of them in the 08 class would make matters worse not better.  The introduction of a new “03" non-geographical class, (which must be treated, in all respects, the same way as the current “01" and “02" range), would give organisations less excuses to use revenue sharing numbers.

If organisations wish to have revenue sharing,  make it obvious , and use a newly structured “09" class, which can have prices ranging from 1p to 150p/min. This class can hold over 999 million numbers.

To expand the current “08" class would be to expand the current mess and confusion and aid the organisations wishing to perpetuate numbers scams.   I can hear it now:-  “082x ...    083x ..... is only the same cost as a normal call, so why are you complaining?   We would then start all over again - then we would have:- SayNoTo 08xx”
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2006 at 2:38pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:38pm

Well I'm sorry, but a firm offering calls to 50 countries (including the UK!) for 1p per minute is not perpetuating a numbers scam. Nor is one that allows calls at 10p per minute to the mobile phones of a large number of countries.

It is perfectly reasonable that this should not be lumped in the same category as £1.50 a minute numbers.

Why should all these other 08 numbers be shifted out to permit a non-existent need for a billion freephone numbers? Even the USA has only 4 8xx codes in use compared to the 2 UK ones I'm aware of, 0800 0808, and they use a lot more of them than we do.

I'm aware that people here disagree about this, but I think it would be easier for consumers to learn to recognise tariffs in future with a sensible progression through 08 numbers, rather than a system made more complicated to satisfy some people's spite that is rightfully applied to some but certainly not all of these numbers.

For another thing, shifting them all to 09 numbers would be a perfect excuse for mobile companies to dump the rest of these from inclusive minute packages
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:57pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #47 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 5:05pm

I hear that there may be an industry day at Ofcom, probably defined as those interested in (rather than "merely" a company financial interest in) the proposals - possibly 15 March for those wanting to check and to plan.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #48 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 12:45pm

Letter into todays Times.

"
.........  The Times March 02, 2006

Dial M for More digits

Sir, Yet another change of telephone number, causing great expense and confusion to millions of us (report, Feb 24).
Half a century ago we abandoned letters and numbers in favour of all numbers. North America did the same thing, instituting seven numbers (3+4) for local calls and ten (3+3+4) for long-distance calls. It has made only one minor change since then, in adding a 1 in front of long distance calls (4+3+4), leaving the remainder unchanged. This covers Canada, the United States and the Caribbean in one unified, simple, understandable, easily recognisable, unchanging system.

What incompetence it is to require our small system to change every five years from one complicated and confusing system to another.

JIM SWIFT
Crawley, W Sussex   "

End quote

KK

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 1:12pm

Sadly the writer to The Times is ill-informed, because the US has a tremendous number of adjustments, changes and overlays (even featuring in the The Simpsons, where the poor part of town was to have its code changed).
But there is much to be done. Even adopting the wide area codes originally planned would help: 020 for London, 023 for part of the South Coast, 024 in the Midlands, 029 for Wales. Do the people of NI really want to return to lots of separate codes? Even if BT still lists (London)Derry as +441504  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #50 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:38pm

Quote:
Why does it make sense for 0800 to be under a code prefix also used for chargeable services???

It would make far more sense to revert 0800 to Freephone only use and then move all the chargeable 084/8 services on to an 04 code with number allocations banded by cost levels.

I meant that in a scheme where 081 numbers are cheap (maybe 1p/min) and 089 numbers are more expensive (9p/min?) it is perfectly logical for 080 numbers to be free (0p/min). I see the prefix as being 080 rather than 08 - and it's 080 that signifies a free number at present. However, I'm not suggesting this scheme is desirable.

I can see the argument for moving all revenue-sharing numbers to 09 numbers and letting existing users of 087 and 084 keep their numbers without revenue sharing, which I thought was Ofcom's idea originally. I don't see the point of having yet another code (04 or 03) with another meaning which doesn't follow on logically from either 01/02 or 09 numbers.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:39pm by jrawle »  
IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #51 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 6:33pm

Quote:
Sadly the writer to The Times is ill-informed, because the US has a tremendous number of adjustments, changes and overlays (even featuring in the The Simpsons, where the poor part of town was to have its code changed).

I really cannot agree with that statement. As the writer to the Times states, the US (or more correctly, the North American numbering system) is logical and relatively stable. The development of the system started in 1947, and implementation started in 1951. A previous restriction that the middle digit of an area code (the first three digits) had to be a 0 or 1 was removed in 1995. Could you say that the UK numbering plan has been relatively stable since 1951..... Grin

The North American system is simple to understand. All premium rate numbers are in the 900-NXX-XXXX format. You KNOW if you see a 900 code, it is going to cost you. Clear. Simple. Unambiguous. Compare that with 087, 084, 080 etc.....

Sure, some area codes are under pressure due to population growth. However, that doesn't mean that a new and completely different numbering scheme is being proposed. Changes are made within the system.

In addition, of course, the system does not differentiate between fixed line or wireless numbers - a HUGE advantage to the consumer!

If anyone is interested, they can look at www.nanpa.com for further details. But - be aware that the simplicity may make you weep..... Wink

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:57pm

Yup, I take your point: the overall plan still stands - such elegance - but the overlays are not good.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:57pm by Tanllan »  

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #53 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 12:42pm

mikeinnc wrote on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 6:33pm:
In addition, of course, the system does not differentiate between fixed line or wireless numbers - a HUGE advantage to the consumer!

That is not the case. Wireless numbers are tied to a geographical area code in NANPA but are charged differently in many cases. I believe that mobiles should be on different area codes to fixed lines.
Take Jamaica for example. It has one NANPA area code 876 with all numbers 1-876-NXX-XXXX. So you have no idea whether your calling mobile landline or even which particular network you are calling & end up with nasty bills because of it.
So the numbering system may not differentiate between fixed and wireless but the billing system certainly can.
In addition the toll-free code 1-877 is very close to 876, Why?

So don't thik the NANPA system is perfect it has it's fair share of anomalies & is sometimes too rigid for it's own purpose
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2006 at 12:45pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 8:13pm

See also this thread on USA's numbering scheme, in particular non-geographical numbering.

IP Logged

IainMacCallum

Reply #55 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 4:06pm

I very much doubt that The Times will print this.

4 March 2006

The Times
1 Pennington Street
LONDON
E98 1TA

Dear Sir

Mr Swift (letters, Mar 2) is right to point out that there is great confusion in the minds of millions of telephone subscribers in the UK. It is the high cost of calls to the so-called non-geographic numbers beginning 084 and 087 that is generally not understood, and therefore exploited by the telecoms industry, government and business alike, and condoned by Ofcom (and their predecessor Oftel) since their introduction in the late 1990s. Observers in the USA have said that there would be “blood on the streets” if their telecoms companies tried to introduce this kind of number.

Ofcom’s proposal, and it is no more than that, is to introduce a non-geographic range of numbers beginning 03 which will always cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers. It will be interesting to see how many businesses come clean and make the change.

Yours sincerely

IP Logged

kk

Reply #56 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:48pm

A splendid letter IainMacCallum, if they don't print it, send it to all the other papers.

-----------------------------

The primary purpose of this site is to campaign against the use of non-geographic numbers such as 0870 and 0845 and their ugly sisters 0871 and 0844. As NGM said, they are spreading like a virus.  They are popular with organisations and telecom providers because they provide a ready source of income from customers who generally are unaware that money is being syphoned off by revenue sharing or have no choice but to ring those numbers..

Some organisations put their customers to extra expense, but receive little or no income from the calls, and are themselves victims of spin from their telecom providers and intermediaries, who pocket the income.  We are fed lies and half-truths to justify and support the insidious spread of those numbers. The obfuscation is aided by BT who perpetuate the myth of “local” and “national” price differences which has been abolished for all practical purposes.  BT never make an clear statement that: ‘for 99.9% of all customers making voice calls, using 087x and 084x numbers,  never cost less than using numbers beginning with 01 or 02'.

I can’t understand why BT don’t abolish the local/national price differential for the comparatively few ‘light users’ and advertise the fact that telephoning anywhere in the UK cost the same.  Call traffic would increase, and they would make more money.

0845 numbers are to some extent the most pernicious of the non-geographic numbers, as they are portrayed as low cost numbers.  Try telling that to a person attempting to contact their bank, on an 0845 number, from a pay phone at 10p for 55 seconds - over five time the cost of calling an 01 or 02 number from a pay phone.  

We are informed in the consultation that it is proposed to keep 0845 and 0870 numbers at 4p and 7p/min, and so the scams and half-truths will continue. If that wasn’t bad enough, Ofcom propose adding some more “low cost” 08 numbers.  Well isn’t that just fine!

All 08 revenue sharing numbers are an underhand way of syphoning money from unsuspecting callers.  If revenue sharing must happen for companies providing a genuine value added service,  then why not make it obvious.  The only way to make it obvious and to alert callers that the call is revenue sharing, is to place it into the appropriate sub-class of the revenue sharing category of  “09".  With prices ranging from 1p/min upwards.

As Mikeinnc said (post #51):        “The North American system is simple to understand. All premium rate numbers are in the 900-NXX-XXXX format. You KNOW if you see a 900 code, it is going to cost you. Clear. Simple. Unambiguous. Compare that with 087, 084, 080 etc.....”          
The North American Numbering System is not perfect, but it is far more stable and clear that ours.   The words “Clear” “Simple” “Unambiguous” are not words that could easily be applied to Ofcom’s current proposals.  By considering the entire numbering system they have a golden opportunity to make it so.

The proposal to use a separate “03" class for non-geographic number, if they are to be treated in the same way as 01 and 02, is fine.  So is the proposal to remove personal numbers (070) from the mobile phone class. The rule should be that all numbers (except mobiles) that are to cost more than normal numbers should be placed in the expanded and revamped  “09" class. 09 can hold over  999 million numbers. [see posts #45 and #43]   
Clear - Simple - Unambiguous
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2006 at 3:32pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #57 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 2:12pm

kk wrote on Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:48pm:
A splendid letter IaimMacCallum...

Ditto. Straight the point and concise.

...The obfuscation is aided by BT who perpetuate the myth of “local” and “national” price differences ...

I can’t understand why BT don’t abolish the local/national price differential for the comparatively few ‘light users’ and advertise the fact that telephoning anywhere in the UK cost the same.  Call traffic would increase, and they would make more money.

This is a good point kk. BT's 'user-friendly' pricing information is here and includes an area for looking up your local call area. Why is this still relevant and why does the page not point out that this has no relevance on BT Together tariffs? Also, why is this still available in a prominant position on the website, when the BT Standard tariff never got a look in on the main BT.com website towards the end of its life?

0845 numbers are to some extent the most pernicious of the non-geographic numbers, as they are portrayed as low cost numbers. ...

I think that this issue involves the fact that the perception of telephone rates is often higher than the real rates. This is fuelled by the charges levied by mobile providers where it's not uncommon to pay 10p/min or 35p/min and above to call a mobile on another network. So when you tell someone that it costs 3p/min to call 0845 and 7.51p/min to call 0870, they say "so what?" and any explaination of why this is is often lost.

We are informed in the consultation that it is proposed to keep 0845 and 0870 numbers at 4p and 7p/min, and so the scams and half-truths will continue. If that wasn’t bad enough, Ofcom propose adding some more “low cost” 08 numbers.  Well isn’t that just fine!

So Ofcom haven't learnt from the introduction of 0844 and 0871.  Roll Eyes

I guess that this latest consultation is effectively Ofcom's response to the NTS: A way forward consultation last year.

All 08 revenue sharing numbers are an underhand way of syphoning money from unsuspecting callers.  If revenue sharing must happen for companies providing a genuine value added service,  then why not make it obvious. ...

But companies never want to talk about revenue.

The proposal to use a separate “03" class for non-geographic number, if they are to be treated in the same way as 01 and 02, is fine.  ...

But if there is very little uptake of this new code and very little awareness by the public of what it is and how it differs from 084/087 numbers, then it will be a wasted effort.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #58 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 2:56pm

Dave wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 2:12pm:
The proposal to use a separate “03" class for non-geographic number, if they are to be treated in the same way as 01 and 02, is fine.  ...

But if there is very little uptake of this new code and very little awareness by the public of what it is and how it differs from 084/087 numbers, then it will be a wasted effort.
I believe it will be.  There will be no incentive whatsoever for existing gov depts/companies, etc to move to this range.  Why should they when they can get away with the current system and still receive revenue?!

NGM mentioned this in an earlier post and I agree and didn't want to write this in case ofcon got any ideas, but I believe there is a very strong possibility that the proposals for 0870 (ie removing revenue share) will be axed and left as it is.  Ofcon will then come back and go we have introduced a new code which will satisfy those wanting same benefits but without the added expense that current NGN have.  This, of course, means that no company is likely to migrate due to loss of the revenue and cost of migrating.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #59 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:49am

Dave and bbb-uk both identify a valid point about the take up of the proposed “03" class of non-geographic numbers.  [Proceeding on the assumption that “03" will for all purposes be treated in the same way as “01" and  “02" geographic numbers are now treated.]

The only way to ensure take up of “03" is to abolish all “08" revenue sharing numbers.  All revenue sharing numbers should be confined to an appropriate sub-range in the  “09" class, with prices ranging from 1p/min upwards.  
I have suggested the sub-range 090 and 091 for "small cost" revenue sharing (see above), but this is a matter of detail.

Organisations would then make a choice:

• Change to an 01 or 02  geographical number.

• Change to the new 03 non-geographical number that will cost all customers no more than 01 or 02 would cost them, including 0p/min and Option 3 etc)

• Change to an appropriate 09 class of revenue sharing numbers.

As the choice will be transparent (which 084x and 087x is not), market forces will, to a large extent, influence the choice made.

KK

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge