Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan (Read 311,380 times)
Wicked

Re: Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan
Reply #60 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 4:49pm

Unless the number starts 080, I just assume all 08 and 09 numbers are too expensive to call.  And I don't.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #61 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:35pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 4:49pm:
Unless the number starts 080, I just assume all 08 and 09 numbers are too expensive to call.  And I don't.

Make sure you have 070 on your list aswell. They cost upto 50p/min.

IP Logged

Wicked

Reply #62 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:30am

Dave wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:35pm:

No.  Calls to cellphones don't cost anywhere near that much (although I do try to avoid them too).
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:30am by Wicked »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #63 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 12:18pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 7th, 2006 at 9:30am:

No.  Calls to cellphones don't cost anywhere near that much (although I do try to avoid them too).

070 numbers are personal numbers and can cost that much, try phoning Patientline, 070******* 49p per minute.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #64 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 3:25pm

Mobile phone numbers start with 077, 078 and 079.
Pagers started with 076.

As Derrick says, 070 numbers are personal numbers. These cost upto 50p/min from a BT landline. You can often route these numbers to mobiles as well as landlines and overseas numbers. See one provider, FleXtel.

From a technical point of view they fulfill the same purpose as 08 and 09 numbers because they are number translation services. In English that means they are 'pointed' at real (geographical) numbers and have the possibility of time of day routing and so on (depending on provider), just like 08/09 numbers do.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #65 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 5:28pm

This just serves to illustrate the confusion caused by OfCon - even members of this board are confused by the lumping together of multiple call types and price ranges within a single component of the so-called 'Telephone Numbering Plan'.

Cry

IP Logged

kk

Reply #66 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:39am

To repeat again what  Mikeinnc said (post #51): “The North American system is simple to understand. All premium rate numbers are in the 900-NXX-XXXX format. You KNOW if you see a 900 code, it is going to cost you.     Clear. Simple. Unambiguous.    Compare that with 087, 084, 080 etc.....”

The North American Numbering System is not perfect, but it is far more stable and clear that ours. The words “Clear” “Simple” “Unambiguous” are not words that could easily be applied to Ofcom’s current proposals. By considering the entire numbering system they have a golden opportunity to make it so.

The Golden rule should be that
ALL
numbers (except mobiles) that are to cost more than normal numbers (01 and 02)
or
be excluded from call packages, should be placed in an expanded and reorganised “09" section.
 It could be named “Special Costs”.

“09" can hold over 999 million numbers and each sub-section (090, 091, 092...) can hold over 99 million numbers.

[see posts #45 and #43 and #56]

Clear - Simple - Unambiguous

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:42am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #67 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 6:32pm

kk wrote on Mar 12th, 2006 at 10:39am:
To repeat again what  Mikeinnc said (post #51): “The North American system is simple to understand.
Clear - Simple - Unambiguous

I can't agree - but I've continued the discussion of the N.American system here, rather than under this topic.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #68 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 5:46pm

I agree that the North American Numbering Plan (NANP) does have its complications, but the central point made is that the American system is not “the bee’s knees” or even the “cat’s whiskers”, but that the NANP appears to offer callers a clear distinction between “normal numbers” and numbers that share revenue, ie “special rate numbers” which are confined to the “900" classification.

When you see “900",  you are alerted to the fact that the call will be at a rate quite different to what you normally pay or expect. That is the central point made.

I am not a champion of the NAMP, but wish to see that our UK telephone numbering system is clear and unambiguous.

We should take the golden opportunity offered by a review of the UK  numbering review, not to continue with the muddle we have now over 084x, 087x and 070, (or indeed make it worse!), but to make it transparent and clear.

The lack of transparency in the UK numbering system has allowed organisations to make hidden profits.   All calls that cost more than normal or are not included in the various call packages, should  be confined to a reorganised “09" class renamed  “Special Rate”.   “Special Rate” numbers should be placed into appropriate  sub-classes of 091, 092, 093 etc., with costs ranging from 1p/min to 150p/min, depending on the service offered. 

Transparency and clarity should be the aim. Transparency is a legislative requirement imposed on Ofcom, but Ofcom’s own research shows that the current numbering system confuses most people, most of the time.

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Ofcom Presentation
Reply #69 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 9:54am

Thanks to an invitation passed on to me by another forum member yesterday afternoon I was able to attend a seminar at Ofcom's riverside palace at Southwark bridge.  This was billed as being a Stakeholder workshop on the invite but when I got there the screens howed Industry Workshop and the list of attendees was all BT, Vodaphone, TalkTalk etc.  I didn't formally tell Ofcom in advance I wanted to attend this meeting as I knew I woul probably be told it was not for Consumers and I just showed up at Ofcom's offices at the appointed hour when on Reception not finding me on their official list of attendees they still gave me a Visitor badge and directed me to the meeting room.  Initially no one from Ofcom I knew was there before the meeting started but when Clive Hillier (Ofcom Competition Partner and Board member) walked in to give his presentation he immediately spotted me sitting quietly and suited in the back of the audience.  This was pretty impressive considering he has only met me once before at the Ofcom Consumer Workshop in November and he spotted me simply while walking up to the front to give his speech.

The presentation began explaining their proposals basically to create the new 03 Countrywide number proposals for NGNs at geographic rates plus to restructure 08 and 09 number classes so the initial 081, 082 etc gives an indication of the likely call cost .  They also plan to do this with 09.  They also plan to allow 07 PNS scam numbers so favoured by Patientline to continue as long as they are renumbered 06.

After Clive Hillier's presentation I rather went to town on the question front and asked how these numbering proposals interfaced with NTS Way Forward and why they weren't part of that consutation. I also asked if Ofcom weren't nw going to backtrack on their proposal to move 0870 to geographic rates and instead expect all ethical 0845 and 0870 users to set up an 03 alternative.  This would mean those who had used 0870 and 0845 for call feature rather than revenu reasons having to adopt new numbers while the 0870 and 0845 scammers remained untouched.

To do Clive Hillier credit he didn't say I had come to the wrong forum or use that as an excuse not to answer but instead said these proposals were in addition to proposing to change 0870 to geographic rates.  So I then said how did that make sense when their own new number plan only listed 080 Free and 08 everything else Chargeable Services and when their own document pointed out that 08 was still very widely identified as being Free calls.   There was then a lot of excuses about Ofcom needing to do the best they could within existing structures without disrupting business too much.  To which I replied that Section 3 (1) of the Communications Act 2003 said that the interests of Citizen Consumers came first/  They ignored that point.

We then went on to a presentation from Ofcom person Steve Unger during which interruptions for questions at any point were allowed.  He gave us some spiel about the new proposals ensuring they woud not run out of 01 or 02 numbers within the lifetime of phone numbers still being used as many corporates would now run their call centres on 03 or revised 08 and handle them increasingly via voip systems at the back end so they didnt require a different real physical phone line and number for each separate call handling position in the call centre.  He also tried to take us through the logic of their 06 proposals which he said were numbers that would be capped at no more than 20p per minute.

I then asked why PNS was still necessary at all and why these companies couldn't be made to either take am 09 or an 03 number depending on whether they wanted their caller to pay for the extra call handling facilities or wanted to pay for them themselves.  I also asked if this meant a Green Light to Patientline remaining in business and if the maximum 20p call rate had been agreed with the Department of Health.  To which basically my question was dodged and the answer was that it was for the Department of Health to reply about Patientline.  At this point some rather haughty and upper class industry person from somewhere like Vodafone asked whether valid though my questions no doubt were if I was at the right forum to raised them.   So once again we see that Ofcom prefers only to meet in person with industry persons where they can all talk industry speak and keeping the telecoms industry profitable.

There was one public spoken senior looking industry chappie in a smart suit who asked Steve Unger why when consumers had asked repeatedly for a call price announcement facility over the years (especially for 07, 09 and 084/7 type calls plus 118 dq calls) Ofcom had never done anything about this and wouldn't  it be better for the industry's reputation if it had.  To which the answer was that Ofcom's surveys showed not much consumer demand and that it was very expensive and difficult for telcos to offer this facility.

The meeting ended shortly afterwards and stranged and I detected an immediate shying away by most telecoms industry persons when i tried to join their little informal chat groups etc.  I did then manage to have a conversation with Steve Unger who said he knew it wasn't as much as we would like but Ofcom couldn't do any more due to the need for its regulatory remedies not to be considered as being disproportionate etc, etc.  I still asked how their dogs breakfast 08 code was better for anytone to which he had no answe
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2006 at 5:28pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: OFCOM, Wrong info again!
Reply #70 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 10:17am

Well done NGM!   Smiley

Should we be asking for a similar seminar for consumers to have the system explained and the opportunity to put questions?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 10:51am

Apologies for various spelling mistakes and typos in above but my one year old HP Pavilion DV1139EA Centrino Notebook turned up its toes on Tuesday evening and appears to have had a total motherboard failure.  So it has now gone off to HP for a repair of up to 2 weeks and meanwhile I am trying to access the internet and access email using a Netgem IPlayer Freeview and Internet/Email tv box.

Unfortunately its only means of navigation around web pages is with the four cursor keys on the keyboard as it has no mouse or touchpad. And it only shows me about a quarter of a web page at once Shocked Cry

Really I have posted my message about the Ofcom meeting in the wrong place but I can't cut and paste from one thread to another with the Netgem.  And the front page of this website still refers to the consutation that closed in December instead of this new one.

Anyhow coming back to the Ofcom meeting there were about 33 industry members present and this included 2 from BT and 2 from Kingston Communications.  The rest included C& W, Carphone Warehous, Easynet, NTL, Magrathea Communications, 2 from NTL, Mobile Broadband Group, Teleworst, Opera Telecom, Orange, Quazzle, Redstone, Tiscali, TMobile, Tesco Telecoms, Vodafone, Voicenet, Wanadoo, Zimo, Intellect x 2, Interconnect 3, FCS, CMS and AT & T.

However I see that the Dti and Otelo also had a rep each which rather adds legitimacy to me being there in my local government and SayNoTo0870 hats.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #72 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 10:54am

Dave wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:39am:
I see we're still waiting for the end of January 2006.....................  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

See here.

The Ofcom page now reads:
Quote:
This document was originally published by Oftel, one of the organisations replaced by Ofcom at the end of 2003.

It will be updated to reflect the conclusions of Ofcom's Numbering Review (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/) in late summer 2006.

IP Logged

Wicked

Reply #73 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:30am

Thanks for the meeting notes NGM.

If I may summarise:

Smoke and mirrors proposals are in hand, various changes will be made, various scams will be allowed to continue with slight variations and the numbering system will be in an even worse mess and completely unintelligible to the public when they've finished messing about with it.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 12:01pm

Wicked wrote on Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:30am:
If I may summarise:

Smoke and mirrors proposals are in hand, various changes will be made, various scams will be allowed to continue with slight variations and the numbering system will be in an even worse mess and completely unintelligible to the public when they've finished messing about with it.

Yes that is absolutely it Wicked.

Basically anyone who wants to have an NGN and not scam is forced to get an 03 NGN or Countrywide number as Ofcom calls them that will be charged at geographic rates.  So those wish to do the right thing will be forced to get a new number whereas those who wish to go on scamming on 0844, 0845 and 0871 will be able to do so without any interference in or interruption of their business.  The only exception to this will be 0870 where the scammers will have to get a new number to go on scamming and a non scamming number code will be created in the middle of a class of numbers (087) that will will otherwise be all about scamming.

Basically Ofcom are people of no principle or firm action whatsoever and despite Section 3(1) of the Communications Act putting consumers first Ofcom will always come up with an intellectually incoherent bodge so as to let the work of their scammer friends remain as largerly profitable and as unchanged as possible.

Most disgraceful of all the 084/7 scammers will carry on with the great its only the BT National/Local rate scandal and only take their misleading signs down (especially the voice based ones of all their deliberately mistrained call centre operators) to this effect for 5 minutes when the Ofcom inspectors call by on say 10 days advance warning!
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2006 at 12:04pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge