Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What is 009999999 number (Read 22,426 times)
Johnny Debt

What is 009999999 number
Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:09am

Last night my mobile rang and the following number appeared on the screen 009999999, I did not answer it and it hung up befor it went to answer phone. Any ideas what this was?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: What is 009999999 number
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:37am

Johnny Debt wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:09am:
Last night my mobile rang and the following number appeared on the screen 009999999, I did not answer it and it hung up befor it went to answer phone. Any ideas what this was?

I had a strange number of a similar non uk format to this appear on my mobile a few weeks ago from a small company that admitted they were calling me using some kind of voip system.

I would suggest its a CLI from the country via which their voip provider is routing mobile calls back in to the UK.  If it was a reverse charge SMS it would just arrive anyway and wouldn't require you to take a decision about whether or not to answer a phone call.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:38am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:40am

Hello. Most likely to be someone who knows the Calling Line Identification (CLI) system well and who therefore provides a CLI, avoiding being trapped by Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR), but who provides a false CLI so that they can not be identified - or called back...
I believe that Ofcom consider this to be illegal and so they should be encouraged to have your mobile provider track back and identify the miscreant and so have it stopped.
I hope that that answers your question, although I fear that it may not actually help you that much. Sad

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:47am

Tanllan wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:40am:
Hello. Most likely to be someone who knows the Calling Line Identification (CLI) system well and who therefore provides a CLI, avoiding being trapped by Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR), but who provides a false CLI so that they can not be identified - or called back...

I believe that Ofcom consider this to be illegal and so they should be encouraged to have your mobile provider track back and identify the miscreant and so have it stopped.(

Again it strikes me as likely to be a cheap voip call routing company who provides a fictitious CLI rather than having calls rejected by Anonymous Caller Rejection etc.  I doubt that any private individual has the ability to alter or falsify their CLI.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:04am

Quote:
Tanllan wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:40am:
I believe that Ofcom consider this to be illegal and so they should be encouraged to have your mobile provider track back and identify the miscreant and so have it stopped.(

Again it strikes me as likely to be a cheap voip call routing company who provides a fictitious CLI rather than having calls rejected by Anonymous Caller Rejection etc.  I doubt that any private individual has the ability to alter or falsify their CLI.
Sorry, sloppy English. I meant someone working withinh a company and should have said which, etc. But my suggestion fits well with your VoIP suggestion. Either way it is wrong and should be reported.
Good Luck JD.

IP Logged

sirp2000

Sussex
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:52am

I also had a missed call the other day on my mobile from 0123456789. Most odd. Anyone else had this one or know what it is?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:55am

sirp2000 wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 11:52am:
I also had a missed call the other day on my mobile from 0123456789. Most odd. Anyone else had this one or know what it is?

I had no luck with attempting to report a falsified 020 7 CLI that was unobtainable if dialled that was used by the telephone exchange system of Dolphin Square Trust in London for several years.  Eventually they did change to using Unavailable instead which was hardly an improvement as I now have no idea at all who the call is from.

IP Logged

Johnny Debt

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:03pm

Is it possible to trace the number back to an actual company? Obviously because of the business that I  am in (Debt Help), it would be interesting to see if creditors and debt collection agencies are using these tactics.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:06pm

Johnny Debt wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:03pm:
Is it possible to trace the number back to an actual company? Obviously because of the business that I  am in (Debt Help), it would be interesting to see if creditors and debt collection agencies are using these tactics.

Your mobile company may possibly know the real originating number but I am sure will refuse to give it to you.

You should try registering a complaint at www.ico.gov.uk if your mobile provider won't help.  Do you know the actual company who was calling and their name and address in spite of their use of a false CLI?  If so you may be able to get somewhere with the ICO or by escalating the complaint to www.otelo.org.uk or www.ofcom.org.uk all of whom are very good at passing the buck if they possibly can.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:31pm

It is actually possible to put a false number on CLI.

The Company which supplies our telephones for my local party (hapens to be in the same building) can put any CLI on our phones. We did used to have an 0871 displayed, then I got that changed to an 01553. It seems that its displaying 001 000 000 0000 now.

I think this is more a messup on the system then it is deliberate.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:49pm

mc661 wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:31pm:
I think this is more a messup on the system then it is deliberate.

I suggest that adoption of voip calling methods in conjunction with non uk specific voip hardware or voip provider may to blame for many of these kinds of problems?
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:59pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:49pm

mc661 wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 2:31pm:
..The Company which supplies our telephones for my local party (hapens to be in the same building) can put any CLI on our phones. We did used to have an 0871 displayed, then I got that changed to an 01553. It seems that its displaying 001 000 000 0000 now...
I didn't think it was as easy/simple as that.  Especially didn't know they could have any number displayed on our CLI's.

It would be easy then to have the outgoing CLI as maybe homeoffice, bank or any company for that matter.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 6:00pm

bbb_uk wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 5:49pm:
It would be easy then to have the outgoing CLI as maybe homeoffice, bank or any company for that matter.

I wonder if with some Voip calling options if the choice of CLI presented is not down to the customer who set up the account?

IP Logged

joe65

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:08pm

Presentation Number -Type 3 is an option that businesses can subscribe to, which lets them send any number they like (technically) although they're supposed to sign in blood to say they'll only ever send valid numbers which belong to their organisation.

BT however don't seem to offer this option, preferring to screen all numbers before passing them into the network.     Other operators 'though are another matter.   Often they just don't know how to program their equipment and leave screening turned off  -  which can then let anything through.

This sort of network pollution can only increase when OfCom allows such  self regulation  and BT are quite right not to subscribe to such nonsense.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:24pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 12:18am

joe65 wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:08pm:
This sort of network pollution can only increase when OfCom allows such  self regulation  and BT are quite right not to subscribe to such nonsense.

Unfortunately Ofcom's regulatory system relies on a sort of benevolent 1930s view of business behaviour in which everyone is a "jolly decent chap" and "always plays the game don't you know old boy"! Roll Eyes

Its a shame then that many telecoms businesses are in fact little better than legalised electronic cattle rustlers! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge