Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transport for London - how to waste public money (Read 17,361 times)
mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Transport for London - how to waste public money
Mar 13th, 2006 at 3:06am

Travelling across the United States this weekend, I picked up a copy of 'The Economist'. Not my normal reading, I admit, but I certainly get the impression that this is a high powered, international and very influential magazine. The positions advertised in this magazine are NOT your normal jobs! Very high powered indeed.

So imagine my absolute disbelief when I saw a whole page advertisement headed 'Executive Focus - Transport for London'. The advertised position is for a 'Senior Audit Manager - Contracts' with a salary package that starts at 70,000 pounds. Clearly, taking a full page advertisment in such a prestigious magazine means that the search is worldwide to get the very best person for this obviously important position. There is only one problem ........

The published phone number given to call and get information about this INTERNATIONALLY advertised, highly strategic and obviously important position is ..... yep, you guessed it

08712 104 600

Well, Mr Mayor, that is really guaranteed to bring in the high flyers from overseas..... Angry

(Just out of interest, I scanned other advertised positions in the UK in the same magazine They all appeared to use normal geographic numbers, even usually - and correctly - showing the number in a +44 xxx format.)

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2006 at 3:07am by mikeinnc »  

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Re: Transport for London - how to waste public mon
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 9:44am

mikeinnc wrote on Mar 13th, 2006 at 3:06am:
Travelling across the United States this weekend, I picked up a copy of 'The Economist'. Not my normal reading, I admit, but I certainly get the impression that this is a high powered, international and very influential magazine. The positions advertised in this magazine are NOT your normal jobs! Very high powered indeed.

So imagine my absolute disbelief when I saw a whole page advertisement headed 'Executive Focus - Transport for London'. The advertised position is for a 'Senior Audit Manager - Contracts' with a salary package that starts at 70,000 pounds. Clearly, taking a full page advertisment in such a prestigious magazine means that the search is worldwide to get the very best person for this obviously important position. There is only one problem ........

The published phone number given to call and get information about this INTERNATIONALLY advertised, highly strategic and obviously important position is ..... yep, you guessed it

08712 104 600

Well, Mr Mayor, that is really guaranteed to bring in the high flyers from overseas..... Angry

(Just out of interest, I scanned other advertised positions in the UK in the same magazine They all appeared to use normal geographic numbers, even usually - and correctly - showing the number in a +44 xxx format.)

I support your objection to premium rate numbers but actually this is NOT a waste of public money as, self-evidently, the call cost will fall on the originator not Red Ken.

A more interesting question will be whether overseas callers - just the sort of chap who could be interested - can actually reach an 0871 code from outside UK?

IP Logged

kk

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 9:59am

Non-geographical numbers are said “to be used by organisations wishing to have  a national presence”. A very weak excuse at the best of times.  Transport for London, by definition, is for the London area, so why not use a London 020 number and save us all the extra cost of calling on an 0871 number, costing on average 300% more to call.  

For anyone reading this post from Mars or a Spin Doctor from a Telecom company or indeed an ostrich with its head in the sand, I will repeat the information - calls to London from Manchester, from Leeds, from Glasgow or even from London all cost the same to an 01 or 02 number [for 99.9% of customers].

As I boycott all 084x and 087x numbers, I will not be applying for that post.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2006 at 10:00am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 2:36pm

Quote today from Farci:-

Quote:
I support your objection to premium rate numbers but actually this is NOT a waste of public money as, self-evidently, the call cost will fall on the originator not Red Ken.

A more interesting question will be whether overseas callers - just the sort of chap who could be interested - can actually reach an 0871 code from outside UK?

Well, your two statements really make my objection to this absolute stupidity clearer. It is not the cost of the call in this case - although I do think it is still an imposition on a potential candidate - that I find so objectionable. As you so rightly confirm, it is the doubt that many of the potential candidates who may actually be very well qualified for this position won't be able to call!! How stupid is that?

As I said in my initial post, I was reading this in the USA. I would assume that (a) the magazine is widely read internationally, and (b) that is the reason the full page advertisment was placed here. So how stupid is it to then put a number that we know cannot reliably be reached from overseas?

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 5:34pm

As I understand it, the Economist is primarily a British magazine.  Just because the magazine is available in the USA and elsewhere, doesn't necessarily mean that TfL were aiming the advertisement at international readers.

Many (most?) UK newspapers and magazines are available abroad - it doesn't follow that advertisements contained in them are necessarily for foreign consumption!

Mikeinnc, if you're currently in the USA, why not try ringing the number to see if it rings? - you needn't wait for it to answer and hence incur a charge.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 8:39am

trevord wrote on Mar 13th, 2006 at 5:34pm:
As I understand it, the Economist is primarily a British magazine.  Just because the magazine is available in the USA and elsewhere, doesn't necessarily mean that TfL were aiming the advertisement at international readers.

Many (most?) UK newspapers and magazines are available abroad - it doesn't follow that advertisements contained in them are necessarily for foreign consumption!

Mikeinnc, if you're currently in the USA, why not try ringing the number to see if it rings? - you needn't wait for it to answer and hence incur a charge.

In fact 50% of ECONOMIST readers are in USA and only 15% in UK http://printmediakit.economist.com/Circulation.10.0.html. The ad is correctly targetted at individuals who seek employment worldwide.

All of this means the effectiveness of this ad has been reduced due to sloppy work by the recruitment agency in an attempt to recoup some cash.

Awaiting with interest to know if the number can be called from USA...

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 10:12am

Of course the number can be dialled from the USA; I can think of 3 ways of doing it even if direct dialling is not possible (but it probably is with most providers, as they list a tariff), and only slightly more complicated than ringing a free USA DQ service from here for 3p and getting them to connect a call free.

The question is not if it's possible, but what is the tariff. It's likely to vary from 10p to 15p per minute from the cheapest providers. For people applying for a £70,000 job and who don't know the cheapest way to make an international call, it probably isn't an issue that a call will cost $1 instead of 10c.

Mike is right to point out that it may be sloppy thinking by the advertisers, but there are probably also email and postal addresses, and I doubt that the suitable candidates will actually be alienated from applying by the cost of the number.

I'm not condoning the choice of number, but there are more important things to concentrate on.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006 at 10:13am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:24am

farci wrote on Mar 14th, 2006 at 8:39am:
In fact 50% of ECONOMIST readers are in USA and only 15% in UK

I stand corrected.  Embarrassed
But I also agree with Andy9, that if the number can fairly readily be called from the USA, then this isn't a major issue - except that it illustrates sloppy thinking by the Mayor's office (no surprise there then  Cheesy), and more critically that people just don't realise that there can be difficulty in calling these numbers from abroad and that they are very readily used without thinking as a direct replacement for a geo number.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 12:59pm

I'll just clarify slightly. I'm not certain that all US providers cover these numbers, but I know that most charge 08 calls the same as UK mobiles, about 18 to 25c
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006 at 1:00pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:05pm

Yes, I agree - for someone who is likely to want to apply for a position like this, the cost of the call is probably immaterial. However, as I pointed out, a quick and dirty scan of other UK positions advertised showed that this was the ONLY one that had a 087x contact number. However I entirely agree with the sentiments expressed - it shows a sloppy and disinterested approach to detail. If I was interested (which I am certainly not!  Smiley ) and I was to call and find I could not get through, what would that say to me?

There were, of course, email and postal addresses shown on the advertisment. However, for a position like this, I think I would first want to call and discuss it with someone - especially if I were applying from overseas. So why take the chance for the pence they are likely to save and publish a number that may be unobtainable from overseas. It just seems a pathetic thing to do!

We do know that these NT numbers are often not available from overseas as a number of international telcos have been badly stung by them. It appears that my provider (VoIP) does include them under the misnomer 'UK - mobile 448 - 0.2136c/min'.  This compares to 'UK - Other 44 - 0.0218c/min'. There is actually a huge list of numbers at the expensive rate - all the mobile numbers, 08x numbers, 07x numbers etc - in fact everything except 44207 and 44208.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #10 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:14pm

mikeinnc wrote on Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:05pm:
in fact everything except 44207 and 44208.

I don't understand why you even remark on these not being included:
  • 02xx area codes are regular geographic area codes, so there is no reason for them to be included under any higher or special chrage rate.
  • 020 (London) is not the only 02x area code - there are several others.
  • The codes are NOT 0207 & 0208 - the London area code is 020; the 7 & 8 are the first digit of the local part of the number, i.e. anyone with a number beginning 020 can omit the area code and dial the remaining 8 digits (mostly commencing 7 or 8) when calling another 020 number, but someone with a number commencing 020 7 or 020 8 cannot omit the 7 or 8 and dial only the remaining 7 digits for a same-area number.
  • Some London numbers are now 020 3xxx xxxx.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:17am

Quote:
I don't understand why you even remark on these not being included:

I was merely saying that the list of UK numbers on my provider's web page only has three "normal" priced examples - 44, 4407 and 44208. I didn't write the list - I am just repeating what is on there. All the other numbers - and there are many, many of them - that start 44xxx are priced at a single "mobile" (premium) rate.

This is a US provider. I don't expect they really care where a call ends up - they just want to indicate what their customers will pay based on the dialled code. Whether the codes are or are not 0207 or 0208 is immaterial. That is the way they are shown on the list.

If you want to see the list, look at www.viatalk.com. If you don't like it, complain to them - but don't shoot the messenger! Wink

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:29pm

mikeinnc wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 2:17am:
If you don't like it, complain to them - but don't shoot the messenger! Wink

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  Sad
When you said:
mikeinnc wrote on Mar 14th, 2006 at 6:05pm:
There is actually a huge list of numbers at the expensive rate - ... - in fact everything except 44207 and 44208.

I thought you meant that 44207 and 44208 were not listed at all, that they were merely grouped in with 'everything else'.  I didn't understand that the provider had especially listed these - I thought you had picked them out as not listed: hence my comment.   Sad

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge