Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
0871 forwarding calls without permission (Read 41,966 times)
trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: 0871 forwarding calls without permission
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 8:53pm

I've also noticed that the Terms & Conditions on the site imply that the information is there at the restaurant's application (se 3rd para of Condition 1.):

Quote:
The details provided by the restaurant on the application form are important. You must ensure your details are correct and complete and inform us of any changes.

If that is not correct, there could well be some other illegality involved.

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:07pm

Quote:
Very Nice Man are you a shareholder with them. Grin

Would I have waited this long before promoting them if I was?

If holding their data, to transmit to others is punishable under Data Protection, where does that put Google etc?

Surely the main problem with the site is the failure to post the costs of calling the numbers.

Shiggaddi wrote on Mar 14th, 2006 at 5:53pm:
. . . . where all their other mobile and landlines are part of inclusive minutes but sees a 40p per minute charge for 0871 . . .

Assurances from Orange are that 0871 on their service are 10p per min.  Still cheaper than 118***

It would appear, without digging into the site too much that each restaurant does have it's own number.

~ Readability adjusted by DaveM
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:00pm by DaveM »  

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Rob.S

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:09pm

trevord wrote on Mar 14th, 2006 at 8:48pm:
Personally, I would question how it breaches the Data Protection Act - if they didn't get the information from the restaurant, then presumably they used publicly available information?  Also, OfCom is not the authorative source on the Data Protection Act - you need to refer to the Information Commissioner for that.  Judging by OfCon's other pronouncements, I would personally take their opinion with a pinch of salt.

I did wonder about this myself but I didn't speak to Ofcom directly, a colleague did. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Ofcom person was just reading a script for “complaints about phone numbers published on websites without permission”. I didn't think the data protection act protected businesses anyway.

It is true that a warning beneath the number stating the cost of the call might be enough but their business model is clearly based on keeping this as quiet as possible.

If this is legal what is there to stop Joe Blogs setting up a premium rate number for say Ofcom complaints and advertise it everywhere he can implying it is the official number? Maybe they would take it a bit more seriously then!  Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:10pm by Rob.S »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #18 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 12:25am

Great idea Rob, I'll start the ball rolling.

OK folks next time your house is on fire, call 0909 999 999.
Dialing this easy to remember number is all you to help save you and your possessions.
Just call this number and a group of trained professionals will speeding their to save YOU!

You have to imagine 20 pages of pure crap info.

And it will only cost you an average of £30 per call (I know it's £30, but what is your house worth to you?) as it is diverted to our slave labour script readers camp in Outer OuterIndia, who'se lack of knowledge and understanding of the home language might make things diffficult. But please do not panic as you talk to them, as it might put them off their cup of tea. And don't bother calling from a mobile because it won't work!!

Or if you're having problems with thugs, thieves, joyriders, arsonists, or the odd murderer, use our Police Call Out Service on 0999 1739412548547663890589 at £10 per min
But why waste time remembering it as they won't do anything anyway.
But keep this number handy, 999, as the next time you see some granny doing 31 mph in a 30 limit at 3am on a Sunday morning, call it and we'll send out, FOR FREE,  helicopters and squad cars to pull the evil and foul wrongdoer.

Anyone looking for a job as salesman for my new service?

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 1:06pm

Rob.S, how's this going? Have you raised a complaint with the website or another body? Has your restaurant been removed from the list?

IP Logged

Rob.S

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 1:49pm

We contacted BT, Ofcom and the web host (Rackspace) regarding the site. We also spoke to the Mobile Food Guide on the telephone a couple of times. In the end they removed all of our restaurants after we sent them an ultimatum threatening a court injunction.

Unfortunately the rest of the site still remains so people are still unknowingly getting ripped off by them  Angry

IP Logged

nanstallon

Falmouth
Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 6:56pm

If the British spent half the energy, that they spend on ripping each other off, on productive work, this country would be unstoppable.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - May 7th, 2006 at 5:12pm

Another site which appears to be doing the same thing is Fancy a Pint?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #23 - May 8th, 2006 at 10:27am

http://www.fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/help/explain_0871.html

Quote:
We use 0871 numbers to call pubs for two reasons; to find out which pubs are popular and to make a little money.

At least they are open about it, although it still leaves the question about the legality (or morality) or forwarding numbers in this way without the knowledge or permission of the landlord.

Mind you, unlike restaurant reservations, it isn't normally necessary to phone a pub to book, so I wonder how much they actually make.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - May 8th, 2006 at 3:42pm

I agree with Jrawle.  At least they admit how much the call costs (well from a BT landline anyhow) and the fact they do make money from the call.

All other companies don't bother with either, or just say that it is 'national' rate.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - May 28th, 2006 at 10:25pm

Another example is rightmove.co.uk.

See Google results here. Rightmove thinks 0845 is "Low call rate".  Roll Eyes

Just noticed we already have a thread on this here.

IP Logged

=CM=

Keep saying NO!

London
Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 2:51pm

This use of 0871 to forward to an unknowing business has been used by the (London) Evening Standard in its pubs section. A local near me was reviewed (positively) but didn't know what phone number the ES had printed alongside. They called it and their own phone rang. You get the drift: the ES or allied company/ies had set up a 0871 forward. They might get some measurements of the impact of their review but the result would be callers thinking the pub was profiting - luckily hardly noone actually phones pubs as the publican told me he'd got 0 calls via that review.

Without enforcement, dodgy practices inspire dodgy characters, some of which get elected or put on quangoes!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 18th, 2006 at 9:55pm

=CM= wrote on Jul 12th, 2006 at 2:51pm:
Without enforcement, dodgy practices inspire dodgy characters, some of which get elected or put on quangoes!

What dodgy quangos like Ofcom you mean where the children have been put in charge of the sweet shop. Wink Roll Eyes Shocked

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:32pm

ClickAJob takes advantage of those looking for a job by using its own 0870 numbers.

I'm working my way through the database clearing out rubbish, and the number of these entries where the NGN is provided by a third party is unbelievable!  Shocked

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #29 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:52pm

Dave wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:32pm:
I'm working my way through the database clearing out rubbish, and the number of these entries where the NGN is provided by a third party is unbelievable!  Shocked

In some cases, could it be that the companies have abandoned their 0870 numbers due to bad publicity?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge