Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
0871 forwarding calls without permission (Read 41,969 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 0871 forwarding calls without permission
Reply #30 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:04pm

jrawle wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:52pm:
In some cases, could it be that the companies have abandoned their 0870 numbers due to bad publicity?

Possibly, but a Google search of the website in question reveals many different companies with neighbouring NGNs. For example see here.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #31 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 7:31am

Indeed that google search reveals all companies mentioned on ClickAJob has a number beginning 0870 770 xxxx.

Now I went to some of the actual websites mentioned in that google search and found that indeed they do publish this 0870 770 as their contact number on their contact us page.

Now I wonder if there is a deal going on with ClickAJob and these companies where ClickAJob has set these companies up with 0870 770 numbers and the companies concerned have then adopted these numbers as well.  Question is who gets the revenue or maybe they share it between them?

These companies were all round the country so it is more than a coincidence that they all have the same number starting 0870 770 so I believe ClickAJob has setup these numbers and told the company concerned that by adopting these numbers also they can earn revenue.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #32 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 2:10pm

Where does ClickAJob list 0870 numbers? It seems just to be a meta search engine that searches other job websites (and it looks quite good too!) Are you sure it isn't one/several of the sites it searches that use 0870 numbers? Or is there a section of the site I haven't seen?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 10:50am

jrawle wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 10:52pm:
Dave wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:32pm:
I'm working my way through the database clearing out rubbish, and the number of these entries where the NGN is provided by a third party is unbelievable!  Shocked

In some cases, could it be that the companies have abandoned their 0870 numbers due to bad publicity?

Or may be they have just got an 0871 number instead now? Wink

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #34 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 2:04pm

Ofcom has opened an "own initiative investigation" into possible misuse of 087 numbers. Details and discussion here.

Quote:
Own-initiative investigation into the possible misuse of 087 numbers

Ofcom has received over 400 complaints about possible scams on the 087 number range, including scams involving:

[…]

b. rogue advertising of 087 numbers as contact numbers for public service organisations, without the knowledge or approval of the organisation affected.  Using the 087 number, calls are still routed to the advertised destination, but a share of the revenue is generated for the rogue advertiser of the 087 number. This is of particular concern to organisations which have identified rogue 087 numbers being wrongly conveyed as legitimate contact numbers, when in fact they have nothing to do with the organisation concerned.

I assume that this covers the points made in this thread. There are quite a few websites giving 0871 numbers for restaurants, and numbers have been submitted on many occasions for inclusion in the Saynoto0870 database of alternative numbers.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #35 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 11:34am

Dave wrote on Mar 28th, 2007 at 2:04pm:
... and numbers have been submitted on many occasions for inclusion in the Saynoto0870 database of alternative numbers.

There are also some submitted 0844 numbers forwarded to foreign landline equivalents, probably earning commission for the person(s) who posted them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge