Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OT (a bit): Number format for biz cards?? (Read 5,915 times)
PeDaSp

OT (a bit): Number format for biz cards??
Mar 14th, 2006 at 8:03pm

Sorry - this is a bit off topic. Can't find this simple info anywhere on the web!

What is the correct format for a UK number on a biz card so folks can call you from abroad?

I think that officially it's:

+44 20 7123 4567

But I don't want to have to put that and:

020 7123 4567

...for UK callers.

BT put both on their contacts page - and assume (most proberbly wrongly!) that they must be technically correct.

So is this the non-standard, standard?:

+44 (0)20 7123 4567

Thanks, sorry about posting here my site Admin  Kiss

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: OT (a bit): Number format for biz cards??
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 9:04pm

Personally, I use what you've called the "non-standard, standard".  I agree that the 'pure' international format is unfriendly for UK users.

But, according to OfCon, it looks as if the BT 'double' format is officially correct:
Quote:
Q. How should the new numbers be set out on letterheads etc?

A. Numbers should be set out like this.

The new 02 numbers should be set out as (02X) XXXX XXXX and, if you want to present your number for people to call you from overseas, it should be set out +44 2X XXXX XXXX.

Mobile, pager and personal numbers are usually set out as 07XXX XXXXXX.

P.S. Glad to see you've got the correct format for the new London numbers.  Smiley

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 4:29pm

Yup, this 3 4 4 layout has been raised elsewhere, with a nod to the US's 3 3 4. I think that we might aim for 07X XXXX XXXX for mobiles, now that there is portability and one can not know the likely charge until the fifth or sixth dialled digit.
And it matches 02X XXXX XXXX for those areas outside London (lest you think that I am too London-centric  Smiley ).
And, of course, we could then have 09X for PRS. The joy of watching one of the Dimblebys struggling with Question Time's 09011 114 411 - when it appears that some one very bright actually went for 090 1111 4411.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 5:17pm

Tanllan wrote on Mar 18th, 2006 at 4:29pm:
Yup, this 3 4 4 layout has been raised elsewhere, with a nod to the US's 3 3 4. I think that we might aim for 07X XXXX XXXX for mobiles,

Why?

Do all these pedantic differences mean that a different destination is reached from dialling the same number? Apart from calls within the same exchange, the whole discussion is pointless.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 11:08pm

Well, yes and no. If we go for a closed numbering and dialling plan (and so no local dialling) then the numbers dialled are the same, but a high proportion of calls (it used to be 49% - I hope to be able to check) are still dialled without the code.

But I was also thinking of the ease of remembering and storing digits. Or is that a reflection of my age? (aging?) The regular pattern and layout do help to reduce errors in dialling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge