Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Barclaycard & use of from abroad no. (Read 30,498 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Barclaycard & use of from abroad no.
Mar 22nd, 2006 at 2:07pm

Don't know if I am posting in correct place but this is the section with the advice re putting 141 before the "from abroad" number.   I thought the following might interest other forum users and reinforce this advice.

Last Friday evening, my son-in-law phoned Barclaycard to check balances etc using the from abroad number.   When the man at Barclaycard answered, he asked my son-in-law why he was calling that number.   My son-in-law explained that he did not want to pay high rate number charges, the man replied "Tough!" and slammed the phone down on him!!!!   After a few moments of incredulity, my son-in-law tried again, using the from abroad number, and was put through to the correct department without a problem.    This raises a number of thoughts - why should an employee care?   are they being told not to accept UK calls to the from abroad number?   what price being a customer?

The advice re putting 141 before the from abroad number has been passed on and accepted.

IP Logged

tripleeight

Re: Barclaycard & use of from abroad no.
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 8:55pm

You _may_ find the cause of the problem is the person who dialled the number to misuse it, IE using a number for international inbound calls from within the UK.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 9:14pm

tripleeight wrote on Mar 22nd, 2006 at 8:55pm:
You _may_ find the cause of the problem is the person who dialled the number to misuse it, IE using a number for international inbound calls from within the UK.

The number is provided by the company; it routes to the call centre or whereever; it is there to be used.  Why shouldn't a customer use it within the UK, especially if it is cheaper than using the alternative number they provide?

IP Logged

bill

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 2:03pm

tripleeight wrote on Mar 22nd, 2006 at 8:55pm:

What a strange comment from a member of this forum.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2006 at 2:48pm

If we are discussing misuse then it may well be the 0870 number that is being misused to bring in revenue share - away from the original routing concept of the number?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 5:38pm

I have used the 01604 Barclaycard number on many occasions.  First time I used Barclaycard, I had to call them a few times, to set up the direct debit, ask when the 0% ends, and then close the account.  I phoned them up a few weeks ago, because I received a letter in the post offering 0% until January, so called them to ask them when I can apply again as I only cancelled around 6 months ago.  I had to wait a couple of weeks, and sent the form off just over a week ago, as I was leaving for my holiday in Gran Canaria.

Got back from Gran Canaria last night, to discover my new Barclaycard in the post.  Very quick at processing my application and sending the card!!

Called their freephone number to activate the card this morning, and was grilled for 15 minutes on my obligations if I fall into debt, and what plans do I have if I ever find myself out of work etc, which was of course a sales pitch for their rip off insurance!!

Also managed to set up my direct debit, and do my 0% balance transfer on the same call.

With all that aside, every time I have needed to contact them (apart from freephone activation) I have never had a problem with 01604, apart from they answer immediately with "Hello, welcome to Barclaycard lost and stolen" to which I then explain I was after customer services, and then the same person deals with the call.  It does make me feel that I have called an emergency line, rather than customer services, but as Tanllan correctly points out, Barclaycard have abused the use of the 0870 number by using it as revenue generating.  I would be quite happy to call their call centre and wait in the queue to be answered behind those who have their card lost and stolen, but not pay them for the privilege!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Sambellina

Coventry, UK
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:05pm

As an advisor working for Barclaycard, I feel I must stress that the advsior who took the original call, and later terminated it was not in the wrong. We have some sort of system in place at the call centre, which allows us to see the dialled number before the call is answered, if it is not that of the 0870 number, we are told to ask the caller to phone back using the 0870 number. Each advisor has a number of phone calls listened to each week by their line manager, and as such, if the advisors aren't telling customers to call back - they'll get a slapped wrist. I agree that it's absolutely abysmal customer service, but what can we do?

For the last time....Barclays don't have a call centre in Bangladesh!.....It's in Mumbai Tongue
Sambellina  
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 8:29pm

Sambellina wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:05pm:
if the advisors aren't telling customers to call back - they'll get a slapped wrist. I agree that it's absolutely abysmal customer service, but what can we do?
I'm glad you think its abysmal and we generally recommend witholding numbers now (141), etc before dialling to prevent our number being shown on CLI systems such as yours.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:11pm

Yes, but 141 will not hide the dialled number and if the 0870 delivery number is different?
Still there are other banks that do not so stoop.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:51pm

Sambellina wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:05pm:
... We have some sort of system in place at the call centre, which allows us to see the dialled number before the call is answered, if it is not that of the 0870 number, we are told to ask the caller to phone back using the 0870 number. ...

Perhaps the point of having such a system is so that you know what product or service the enquiry is regarding. I know that some companies use different NGNs on different adverts so that they can track the effectiveness of their advertising.

But in this case, they're using it to ensure customers call on the rip-off 0870 numbers. It's a far cry from "The customer is king." Indeed, a Google of that phrase brings up this page entitled "The Call Centre Customer is King" and then goes on to quote 0870 numbers.   Lips Sealed

Many of today's large companies are quite happy treat customers with utter contempt. Remember that it was Barclays that started charging for cash machine transactions, so I'm sure that generating extra 'revenue' by covert means will not play its conscience.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:27pm

Dave wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:51pm:
It's a far cry from "The customer is king." Indeed, a Google of that phrase brings up this page entitled "The Call Centre Customer is King" and then goes on to quote 0870 numbers.   Lips Sealed

Thier website nows uses an 0845 number - a slight improvement, at present!
But if they truly consider the customer to be king then they ought to offer a geographic contact number as well, so that the king has a choice!
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:39pm by trevord »  

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 3:50pm

I sent the company in question (opinion-8) a brief e-mail to point out that they were mentioned in these posts.  They called me - somewhat annoyed with the implication that they have ever used 0870 numbers.

They explained:
  • that the flyer (linked to by Dave) was actually not from them but from one of their distributors, whom they would prefer not to use 0870 numbers;
  • that they have never used 0870 numbers, but do use 0845 numbers because, for a small company of 4 people, who have moved offices several times within a relatively short period, it is at present the only practical way of maintaining a consistent contact number.  (I suggested that they could publish a geo number as well.)

This is the website of the company (Activa) who published the flyer with an 0870 number.

IP Logged

eifion

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:01pm

If you use the 01604 number and press 0 rather than 1 or 2, you get through to Customer Services.

IP Logged

bcardsayno07

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 4:22pm

It's disgusting the B/Card try to make more money out of customers by their 0870 number policy. 

Let me tell you what has just happened to me....

I went to pay my Barclaycard online,  as I do every month but I discovered that their website is experiencing technical problems.  Whilst I understand that the internet is not 100% reliable and websites sometimes do have problems - they had NO message on their website to state that they were experiencing technical problems taking the payment.

Any way my payment appeared to fail - so I tried again and it failed again - so I called them.  The only number I had for Customer Services was the 0870 number.  After all their stupid auto messages I was on hold for a customer service person, the phone was answered by a human after about 5 minutes.  That person couldn't help me - so after being pushed from pillar to post and speaking to 5 different people I was informed that in fact the payment I submitted on line had been taken and in fact TWICE. 

BUT today I noticed the payment had not been taken from my bank acccount - so called them again 0870 number - the customer service agent was very poor and told me to check again on Monday and if payment still had not been taken from my bank account to call back and make the payment via telephone .  He even tried to give me some sales chat about how good B/Card were at protecting against fraud etc... which want not the point of my call - but I guess he was trained to keep me longer on the phone so the call costs more and they make more

I asked for a geographical number he told they do not have one and I must call the 0870 number . 

There should be a law banning Company Customer Service departments from using 0870 numbers!!! I think I'll take my business elsewhere..... and I think everyone else should as well.

Had my rant... BARCLAYCARD / MASTERCARD SUCK, if you're thinking of a new credit card - do not go for them - don't fall for their "we're the only credit card company to provide internet payment protection" it's nonsense.... and you pay for it in the long run  !!!

I'm sure other credit card companies are the same - but if someone has a credit card with another company which they are happy with the services provided and one that provides a geographica number for customer services PLEASE LET ALL THOSE UNSATISFIED customers know.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 4:39pm

I have been using the Nationwide credit card for a couple of years and found it to be excellent. They have the usual international access number (listed in this site) and I use this from my mobile, from abroad and here in the UK on the rare occasions when I have needed to call.
And no nonsense about not being able to transfer calls.
And they do not load the transactions with the 2.75% greedyfee.
I have no brief for them.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge