Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DEFRA (Read 30,802 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Re: DEFRA
Reply #15 - May 21st, 2006 at 11:07am

It has been twenty working days,tomorrow, since I requested an internal review, they have not replied even though I sent them a reminder on the 13th May, so I will now forward the complaint for non compliance to the I C.

I notice they have modified their site to say, "Calls can cost up to 5p per minute for BT users. Calls made using other service providers or mobiles may cost more." Although where they get the cost of 5p beats me as the maximum cost to an 0845 number for B T users is 3ppm.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:51pm

derrick wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 11:07am:
... Although where they get the cost of 5p beats me as the maximum cost to an 0845 number for B T users is 3ppm.

The maximum cost for calling 0845 from a BT landline is 3.95p/min from a non-discounted line, such as Light User Scheme. Even still, the  5p shows that the people who should know seem to have complete ignorance of what callers are likely to be charged.

I wonder whether they would be likely to think that this is somewhere near what it costs to call a geographical number, therefore it's justified, simply because their perceptions of call prices are higher than what they actually are. It strikes me that they're complete numpties who don't know what they're doing.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2006 at 10:41am

I sent in my complaint to the I C yesterday, however when opening my e-mails this morning found the following e-mail from Defra,right up to the line:-

Your request has been considered under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Please note that section 8 (1) (b) of the act states that a request for information should state the name of the applicant and an address for correspondence. Before we supply you with any hard copies of any further information a name and postal address must by supplied.

1. I wish to know the geographical number that your 08459 335577 is directed at.

As has been explained in the previous emails alternative geographic numbers are not available as this would by-pass certain functionality of the 0845 number however Defra does have a published geographic equivalent as follows; +44 20 7238 6951, which callers from the United Kingdom can also use.

Defra Helpline

There is no mention on their website that this number can be used from the U K, (we all know it can) so why don't they make that clear and put the 020 number as a normal alternative?

Do you feel they have answered the question about the geo number? as they do appear to have disclosed it, although in the same sentence says "alternative geographical numbers are not available"
Re the "hard copies and information", not sure if I want or need them, it also appears  to be another delaying tactic and it would probably  be another 20 working days before the request  something else.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 1:12pm

I received the following letter yesterday from ICO, they have completely missed my point about Defras refusal to supply the number they admit to having and say the case is closed, however I did phone them and pointed out that my complaint was not as they have suggested, but the person I need to speak to is not in till Monday,aren't they always on an away day?, so I will call back Monday and get the case reopened.

Information Commissioner's Office
Promoting public access to official information
and protecting your personal information
30th May 2006

Reference: FS

Dear Mr

Information request to Defra.

Thank you for your correspondence dated 1st April 2006 in which you
complain about Defra's decision not to release the information you requested.
Your complaint relates to time taken by Defra's to carry out a review of its
initial decision not to provide you with the information you requested.
Although we appreciate that awaiting a review can be frustrating there is no
statutory time within which public authorities must complete a review. There is
therefore no further action we can take regarding this matter.

This case has now been closed.

We note that the public authority has not provided you with details of it's
complaint procedure. We have therefore written to Defra to advise them of
this breach of the Act and to recommend they deal with any request for a
review from you as soon as possible.
If you need to contact us again please quote the reference number from the
top of this letter.

Yours sincerely,

jA^L^v DQ^r

Sharon Boot

FOI Case Reception Team
The Information Commissioner's Office
Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
t: 01625 545700 f: 01625 524510 e: mail@ico.qsi.qov.uk w: ico.qov.uk

Also notice they say:-  "there is no
statutory time within which public authorities must complete a review"

So it looks like a 20 day rule does not apply when reqesting an internal review, a point made by the guy on the phone yesterday.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2006 at 1:15pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge