Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another rip off BBC 0870 number. (Read 47,267 times)
JoePublic
Ex Member

Another rip off BBC 0870 number.
Apr 1st, 2006 at 10:53am

Just saw this on Digital Spy site.

"The BBC has awarded the exclusive rights for over-the-counter TV licence payments to PayPoint, bringing an end to decades of TV licence-related services being provided by the Post Office.

The six year contract will begin on May 2, with over-the-counter TV licence services being withdrawn from Post Offices completely from July 31.

"This contract will provide better value for the licence payer and will enable the BBC to put more money into programmes," said Pipa Doubtfire, head of revenue management at the BBC.

The corporation says the move to PayPoint will save it over £100m over the term of the contract.

"Our network of terminals has now overtaken that of the Post Office and we believe that this size advantage will enable us to deliver an improved service to TV Licensing customers," said PayPoint CEO Dominic Taylor.

The BBC has set up a special phone number, (0870) 850-6709, which plays a recorded message explaining the changes to consumers. "

IP Logged

ms01

Re: Another rip off BBC 0870 number.
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 1:17pm

Isn't it nice how they put the 0870 in (), because of course you might not need to dial it if that's your area code Roll Eyes

ms.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 2:57pm

The article the OP refers to is here.

Also, see this BBC News article: Post Office loses TV licence deal.

This 'service' is a recorded message. The BBC and Capita have sunk to a new low in that they don't have humans answering, but a taped recording. I'm sure that this '[covert] value-added service' will pay for itself by unsuspecting victims/customers.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bill

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 3:32pm

Dave wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 2:57pm:
This 'service' is a recorded message. The BBC and Capita have sunk to a new low in that they don't have humans answering, but a taped recording. I'm sure that this '[covert] value-added service' will pay for itself by unsuspecting victims/customers.  Roll Eyes

But New £abour appears to like Capita for some reason .................

Now what was it?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 3:36pm

bill wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 3:32pm:
Dave wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 2:57pm:
This 'service' is a recorded message. The BBC and Capita have sunk to a new low in that they don't have humans answering, but a taped recording. I'm sure that this '[covert] value-added service' will pay for itself by unsuspecting victims/customers.  Roll Eyes

But New £abour appears to like Capita for some reason .................

Now what was it?

Presumably you are alluding to this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4826704.stm

<<
Labour has published details of the almost £14m in secret loans from wealthy businessmen. The list was unveiled after it emerged that some of the lenders were later recommended for peerages.

Rod Aldridge - £1m
Executive chairman of IT support firm Capita, which has won millions of pounds worth of public contracts. He said the borrowing was at commercial rates, adding that it was a "personal decision on my part". [...]
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 6:27pm

idb wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 3:36pm:
Presumably you are alluding to this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4826704.stm

<<
Labour has published details of the almost £14m in secret loans from wealthy businessmen. The list was unveiled after it emerged that some of the lenders were later recommended for peerages.

Rod Aldridge - £1m
Executive chairman of IT support firm Capita, which has won millions of pounds worth of public contracts. He said the borrowing was at commercial rates, adding that it was a "personal decision on my part". [...]
>>
We have some of the best(!) politicians that money can buy   Grin

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 2:20am

Least I wont have to queue in post offices listening to old people mumbling about what they did last sunday to the uninterested person on the counter.
And then theres always the constituant that always stops me as im leaving the PO.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 1:15pm

mc661 wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 2:20am:
Least I wont have to queue in post offices listening to old people mumbling about what they did last sunday to the uninterested person on the counter.
And then theres always the constituant that always stops me as im leaving the PO.

You do sound as if you are a great 'people's representative' who is supposed to care about ALL constituents (thought a rep should be able to spell this very important? word!!).  You may be old one day - but it appears you are too busy always telling us you are an 'elected person' to care about anyone, particularly those who stop you when exiting your PO - shame on them for the effrontery of actually approaching their local representative.  Yes, we do get the government we deserve!

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:05pm

What on earth is "pay point"? - I bet there isn't one in my village but there is a post office and nothing else.   How inconvenient.  It is interesting that when I needed to contact TV Licensing last year, I did find a geog no on this site but now it seems they make it difficult for people to pay then rip them off for making enquiries!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:17pm

Barbara wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:05pm:
What on earth is "pay point"? ...

See the website: www.paypoint.co.uk

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:29am

Least I wont have to queue in post offices ...

Well, you never had to pay in the post office - there were always other ways to pay!
But I actually chose to pay in the post office because I want to help keep our village post office open - and now they are removing yet another service from it.  Sad

Barbara wrote on Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:05pm:
What on earth is "pay point"? - I bet there isn't one in my village but there is a post office and nothing else.   How inconvenient.

That was exactly my reaction when I heard this!
When I check for PayPoint locations in my postcode area (first part of postcode only), there are only 5 listed - none of which is near to our village, and all the ones in the nearest town are in 'suburb' locations, not in the town centre where I would go for shopping!
Whereas the good old Post Office lists 9 locations within the same postcode area, including our village post office!

Another backward step:
  • at the post office, you could pay "using cash, cheque, debit card, Savings Stamps or a combination of these." (quoted from TV Licensing site); whereas
  • at a PayPoint, you can only pay in cash: "just take your renewal form to a PayPoint outlet along with your payment in cash for your full licence fee." (also quoted from TV Licensing site)
So now you first have to go to a post office or bank or ATM (where you may be charged for the privilege of getting out your own money) and then take the cash to a PayPoint.

OK, so there are other ways to pay: on-line (only by plastic), by phone (0870 number! & only by plastic), by post (only by cheque), by Direct Debit (requires a bank account).  For the older and/or less privileged members of society, these other methods are not necessarily available, and the post office would remain the most convenient method.

The BBC claim that this change will save them money - as always, to the inconvenience of the consumer, and especially the older and less privileged consumers!   Angry

(Personally, I will now probably pay online (altho' it won't arise until next 31 March as I've just paid mine - at the post office!), but, as I said above, I'm concerned about those who cannot use that method.)

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:38am

I want to e-mail the BBC (& TV Licensing) to complain about the change from payment at the post office - but the BBC do not supply an e-mail address on their website: they only supply web input forms.  Angry

I would much prefer to use a regular e-mail address, both so that I can retain a copy of my message and so that I can simultaneously copy it to TV Licensing.

Does anyone have the relevant BBC e-mail address for complaints, please?
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:39am by trevord »  

IP Logged

bill

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:15pm

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 11:38am:
Does anyone have the relevant BBC e-mail address for complaints, please?

All of their e-mail addresses end @bbc.co.uk so I'd try a few of the obvious prefixes.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:21pm

trevord wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 10:29am:
Least I wont have to queue in post offices ...

Well, you never had to pay in the post office - there were always other ways to pay!
But I actually chose to pay in the post office because I want to help keep our village post office open - and now they are removing yet another service from it.  Sad

So this Pay Point system must be in competition with the Post Office then. But they are starting from scratch so they can take the rich pickings and leave out small communities. Another nail in the coffin for small Post Offices.  Cry

So you can't pay by debit card at these Pay Points? That's not what it says here. The Pay Point terminal can be used by the retailer as a credit/debit card machine. Wonder how much they charge them compared to other providers.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:09pm

Dave wrote on Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:21pm:
So you can't pay by debit card at these Pay Points? That's not what it says here. The Pay Point terminal can be used by the retailer as a credit/debit card machine. Wonder how much they charge them compared to other providers.

I was just going by what TV Licensing say here:
Quote:
If you're renewing your licence, just take your renewal form to a PayPoint outlet along with your payment in cash for your full licence fee.  [my emphasis]
as compared with what they say here:
Quote:
You can pay for your TV Licence at a Post Office™ branch using cash, cheque, debit card, Savings Stamps or a combination of these.  [my emphasis]

I note that the PayPoint site given by Dave says:
Quote:
PayPoint retailers can accept all of the most popular credit and debit cards through their PayPoint terminal for shop goods purchases.  [my emphasis]

This implies that they may not accept them directly for other transactions.  Maybe you have to use your debit card at the PayPoint to get cash - for which there will no doubt be a commission charge - and then use the cash to pay for the TV Licence?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge