Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DATABASE (Read 10,390 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

DATABASE
Apr 29th, 2006 at 12:02pm

Can someone suggest how, when I want to copy and paste a page from the data base containing numbers ,the link I end up clicking on returns me to the home page and not the page I copied?

Thanks

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: DATABASE
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:11pm

Hi derrick

Can you describe what you're doing; i.e. which buttons/menus you're pressing.

I've tried saving some results using File -> Save Page As/Save As in Firefox and Internet Explorer and it saves the results. Is that what you're doing?

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:30pm

Hi Dave,

As an example of what I did yesterday and just now, I put CAB into the search box on the request a number page, on the sayno search to find an alternative number, the results came up then I right clicked the address bar, "http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php" ; ( I have put in the quote marks, but they are not copied into the right click),and left click copy,  then I paste the copied address into the reply I am posting, in this example the MSE site, I have also done it in a word document with the same result,when i click on the link or web address it returns the page, "saynoto0870 no results found". and not the page I had as the copy address, I have done this on several occassions and always had this result, maybe it is me doing something wrong with relation to this site, but it is how I do it for all address copies and pastes and they work.
Thanks

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Ah, right. Well you can't do that!

When you search, companysearch.php gives you the results based on what you typed in on of the text boxes on search.php, the search page. So going straight to the companysearch.php page will reveal nothing because you haven't given it anything to search for.

Have a look at this thread, where it is suggested that the 0870 number could be included in the URL. This would do what you want, but, as DaveM says, it would be open to abuse.

If you want to save some results, it works when saving pages as I described above.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:44pm

Dave the following was copied from the search page and is the address of the page I searched for and got using cab  as my request, the request gave me the phone numbers, but if you click on the link it comes up as
"no results found" even though the address bar has the correct address.

http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:49pm

Dave wrote on Apr 30th, 2006 at 1:11pm:
Hi derrick

Can you describe what you're doing; i.e. which buttons/menus you're pressing.

I've tried saving some results using File -> Save Page As/Save As in Firefox and Internet Explorer and it saves the results. Is that what you're doing?

No, the idea was to provide a link from MSE chat forum for another members query, not for me to save the page for myself, I have seen it done on that site but cannot remember who did it, i.e when clicking on their link it took me to a page displaying the numbers.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2006 at 4:02pm

derrick wrote on Apr 30th, 2006 at 2:44pm:
Dave the following was copied from the search page and is the address of the page I searched for and got using cab  as my request, the request gave me the phone numbers, but if you click on the link it comes up as
"no results found" even though the address bar has the correct address.

http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php
On some websites the name (or search criteria) you are searching for is included in the URL (weblink).  So on some websites (but not this one) the link could be something like http://saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php?search=CAB which if it worked on this site would bring up the results for 'CAB'.  Unfortunately, as Dave pointed out in an earlier post this doesn't work.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2006 at 12:06pm

What you are discussing is the difference between http POST and GET requests. The site uses POST, which means the query string does not show up as part of the URL. There's no way round this, other than for the script to be rewritten.

I should add that this doesn't do anything at all to prevent automated queries. It's just as easy to write a script to send a POST request as it is to send a GET request. It just can't be done directly from a browser.

It would be possible to set up a script on a server somewhere so that you could do
www.example.com/saynoto0870search?q=Company
which would forward the query to this site.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge