Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Local elections (Read 12,496 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Local elections
May 5th, 2006 at 6:59am

As has been mentioned in their previous posts, both mc661, and NonGeographicalMan are both on their local council.

Just out of interest, were you both battling for your seat, or is it next year, or last year?  If you were both fighting, did you both keep your seat at last nights elections?

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Justin

Thatfreebie.com
Re: Local elections
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2006 at 11:40am

Well i voted lib dem this year but labour still kept there sit in my area but lib dem was 2nd and cons were 3rd so i am happy with that Smiley

Why not visit www.thatfreebie.com Smiley and enjoy freebies Smiley

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:50pm

I don't know if NGM was up for election this time, but he's a Conservative and the Tories have gained four seats on his council this time, so I would say he's safe.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2006 at 4:13pm

I thought NGM was a Lib Dem, and mc661 was Labour.

Anyway, it goes to show, that despite differing political views, we're all united on this board against 0870 numbers.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 4:17pm by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2006 at 10:49pm

jrawle wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 3:50pm:
I don't know if NGM was up for election this time, but he's a Conservative and the Tories have gained four seats on his council this time, so I would say he's safe.

The Conservative group on Mole Valley District Council gained five seats (three from Liberal Democrat and two from the Independents in wards where the Lib Dems had cynically decided not to even contest the seats this year) and lost one giving us a net gain of four seats and control of the council for the first time in its 32 year history.  But guess which Conservative councillor lost the one seat. Sad Cry Cry Cry

See www.molevalley.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=3053

There is a reason I lost which is that my esteemed Tongue Conservative colleagues at Surrey County Council have kindly decided to name the Capel Clockhouse Brickworks site as their preferred site for a mass burn waste incinerator for all of Surrey's non recyclable waste and that despite me being a vehement critic of these proposals and having obtained two headline stories to that effect in the local newspapers in the last two months the Lib Dems foolishly decided to commit all their campaigning resources to a most disgraceful but classically typical tissue of lies and deceit which inaccurately suggested that I was "their candidate" (that is a candidate of Surrey County Council Conservative group when I am on Mole Valley District Council) and also promised to fix every broken street light and pothole in the area and stop every single speeding vehicle, even though this is the District Council election and we the District Councillors cannot fix those problems (only Surrey County Council can).

It is ironic that in devoting all their mass campaign effort to booting me out that the Lib Dems completely took their eye off the ball in all of the wards that we were targeting to take off them and so lost all three.  I am happy to report that I actually managed to increase my total vote by 33 on the 755 I obtained in 2002 when the Lib Dems only polled 360 votes but unfortunately through their campaign of lies and deceit the Lib Dems were able to motivate every bored disaffected, alienated and normally non voting local resident to go out and vote on the basis of giving the County Council a bloody nose over their incinerator plans.  Even though I have precisely nothing to do with the County Council or any of those plans.

I am beginning to wonder if the SayNoTo0870 campaign does not in fact need a full time paid head to take its mission forward and if so I am happy to report that my services are now available for the said position. Wink Grin

As I now have rather more free time on my hands you may be seeing rather more of me during the next few weeks in this place than has been the case over the last month or two.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006 at 10:55pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #5 - May 8th, 2006 at 9:51am

my council is only elected by wholes so im still safe, well for for a little while longer anyway.

I think that we will get a bloody nose as well, but thats national issues for ya!
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2006 at 9:52am by mc661 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2006 at 10:03am

mc661 wrote on May 8th, 2006 at 9:51am:
my council is only elected by wholes so im still safe, well for for a little while longer anyway.

I think that we will get a bloody nose as well, but thats national issues for ya!

If you feel sure that you may be booted out of your seat due to the national swing (bearing in mind that you will never reveal which Councillor you are in West Norfolk so I do not know your majority) my advice would be to retire instead because being booted out hurts a lot more and is an awful lot more undignified. Shocked Cry

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2006 at 9:59am

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder if the SayNoTo0870 campaign does not in fact need a full time paid head to take its mission forward and if so I am happy to report that my services are now available for the said position. Wink Grin

As I now have rather more free time on my hands you may be seeing rather more of me during the next few weeks in this place than has been the case over the last month or two.

Sorry to hear about your election result, NGM, but your ward's loss is this site's gain so watchout Ofcom!  Wink

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 2:50pm

I was sorry to hear NGM lost his seat (missed this as was away on holiday just after the elections), my husband is an election fanatic & youngest son studying politics & social policy at uni so do normally keep up to date.   Do sympathise with your feelings re the campaign against you but do hope LibDems face same losses multiplied by as many as possible when whole council up for election in our area in 2007, particularly as I suspect our local LD lot will want to bring in 0845 along with the call centre!   Agree with previous post about site's gain - how about drafting some model letters/notes for those of us less expert to use when dealing with organisations?   At least Mole Valley can now be saved as it has a Conservative Council!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 3:02pm

Barbara wrote on Jun 14th, 2006 at 2:50pm:
Agree with previous post about site's gain - how about drafting some model letters/notes for those of us less expert to use when dealing with organisations?   At least Mole Valley can now be saved as it has a Conservative Council!

Thanks Barbara for your kind best wishes.

However I'm finding that losing the Council seat has almost kind of made me lose heart on this campaign as well temporarily.  There is no doubt that the fact that Ofcom is a totally disgraceful hijacked regulator, who simply rubber stamp every scam going, makes one wonder if anything can be done - certainly responding to their consultations doesn't seem to change their intended course of action in any way.  And unfortunately most of the public are sufficiently stupid and mathematically illiterate that most of them haven't even noticed that 0845 and 0870 are costing them a small fortune.  Or perhaps I'm just feeling the public are a stupid lot at the moment after a load of the more feckless ones, who don't normally even vote in local elections and don't read the local paper where my opposition to plans for a local incinerator received two front page articles in the last three months, were persuaded by the deceitful Lib Dem propaganda machine that this was a good way to try and stop an incinerator being built in my local village.

Ofcom's total failure to stop the 084/7 scamming and insisting that 0845 operators who don't want to overcharge must switch to a new 03 number is all very dishearterning.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 9:55am

Oh dear, NGM, I can understand your total disillusionment with the electorate/public at the moment, I really can, but that just what the likes of OFCOM really want, to dishearten those who understand and are prepared to fight for the public good.    Think of the hundreds of people who DID vote for you and your policies and all the people using this site who benefit from your expertise and PLEASE carry on campaigning - you are NEEDED!   The whole campaign needs people who understand the intricacies of the telecoms system (which I certainly don't) - maybe you could be some kind of consultant for us?   I had thought you had been a bit quiet lately but had assumed you had been on holiday.   Just think, it is the loss of the electors of Mole Valley and they will come to regret their decision (as the electors of our area know, or would if they knew what was happening locally!)   Sorry if this is going a bit off message but just trying to be encouraging.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge