Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Safebuy -- web retailers to give geo. numbers? (Read 4,523 times)
hoxne

Safebuy -- web retailers to give geo. numbers?
May 5th, 2006 at 1:03pm

Have just been looking at the code of practice on www.safebuy.org.uk (represents a large number of retailers).  One of the requirements is as follows:

'2.4 The site must have clearly accessible details of the retailer’s name and address, phone and fax numbers, an email address and details of what information consumers are required to provide to pursue a complaint against the retailer. Consumers must also be advised of their right to no-charge mediation by SafeBuy.

'2.5 Customers should be charged at the normal rate for a UK inland call for queries relating to a transaction. Where technical support charges are made, either by the retailer or by a third party whose product or service is being sold, that fact must be made clear to the customer before the order is placed. Information on the cost of communication relating to technical support, where it is at other than the basic rate, must be provided. Hours of availability for all types of phone enquiry must be clearly stated.'

So have a look through their directory, you'll find loads of companies, with not a single one using 084/087 customer enquiry lines. 

Or will you?

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Safebuy -- web retailers to give geo. numbers?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:45pm

Picked one retailer entirely at random, and they use 0870.

Have you pointed this out to them?

Mind you, the whole "accreditation" seems dubious. Another site I tried simply loaded a frameset with a well-known retailer's site at the botom, and revenue-generating Google ads at the top. In other words, it was a fake site just for the purpose of displaying Google ads. Yet Safebuy have accredited the site.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Safebuy -- web retailers to give geo. numbers?
Reply #2 - May 6th, 2006 at 10:33am

Good spotting hoxne.

I noticed on their homepage that CPW are mentioned, so for a laugh I'm going to email CPW and quote them this and see what they say.  Honestly though as CPW are a big abuser of these numbers, I don't expect to get anywhere or even get a answer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge