Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how does the gravy train work.... (Read 16,469 times)
gdh82

how does the gravy train work....
May 12th, 2006 at 7:04pm

I've learnt so much from others on this forum  Cool but I have to confess I still don't really understand where the 0870 money goes and how its shared  out Undecided so could I ask for a fairly simplistic answer to this scenario:

Say I spend a hour on an 0870 call at peak time to Currys Mastercare.  I work out I'll pay £4.50 (@7.5p/min).  I pay this to AOL who are my phone supplier/originating provider.   I gather that AOL only take a slice of this, a proportion goes to the terminating provider (say BT for example) and a final portion goes to Currys (their revenue share).  But how much each gets is still a mystery to me  Embarrassed

Ofcom provide a useful explanation of the theory of NTS but don't provide an example with numbers:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/nts_pes_annex/

Sorry that this is such a basic question for the more seasoned forum member but I'm partly asking for the purpose of responding to the numbering consulation so could anyone offer a fairly simplified answer ?
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006 at 9:04am by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: how does the gravy train work....
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2006 at 8:25pm

gdh82 wrote on May 12th, 2006 at 7:04pm:
Say I spend a hour on an 0870 call at peak time to Currys Mastercare.  I work out I'll pay £4.50 (@7.5p/min).  I pay this to AOL who are my phone supplier/originating provider.   I gather that AOL only take a slice of this, a proportion goes to the terminating provider (say BT for example) and a final portion goes to Currys (their revenue share).  But how much each gets is still a mystery to me
You are pretty much right in what you have worked.  How much each get is pretty much unknown but in this example, AOL, wouldn't really get that much it is likely to be the provider of the 0870 (BT) that would get most of the revenue, the remainder which can vary depending on how many calls they get, etc, is passed on to the company using the 0870 (Currys) which going by adverts is generally between 2ppm to 4ppm (only really, really high volume calls would generate a return of 4ppm).

Basically, most of the revenue goes between the supplier of the 0870 (BT) and Currys.  The remainder of what little is left is used by BT to carry the call from AOL to themselves, and of course, little goes to AOL.  Does that make sense?

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2006 at 10:40am

Thanks bbb_uk that does make sense and helps alot.

So,  roughly speaking, could we say the 7.5p/m is shared out as follows:

aol (originating provider) = 1-1.5 ppm
bt (terminating provider) = 2-4 ppm
currys (revenue share)   = 1-2 ppm

It sounds like its virtually impossible to be exact but as a rule of thumb it seems that the terminating provider is the biggest winner when it comes to 0870, then the company receiving the revenue share and finally the originating provider.  Is it reasonable to look at it this way?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2006 at 12:16pm

I have seen in some ads, that you can get in excess of 4p per minute from 0870 numbers.  These usually require a monthly rental, of about £10 which in a large call centre would be a drop in the ocean.

The telco of the terminating operator usually gets around 6p per minute, and pays their customer what it sees fit.  If it provides lots of free telecoms equipment, or deals with the admin of a low user account etc, then it probably passes on either nothing, or about 1-2p per minute.  As with most calls, getting diverted to a normal geo number, they would then pay money back to BT, or the supplier of the geo number of approx 0.25p per minute.

When you pay your BT, or other provider, the 7.5p is subject to VAT, so only 6.5p is paid to BT.

If the call is being carried by a 3rd party provider via BT's network, then about 0.25p goes to BT in their capacity of the wholesale provider, with the other provider keeping about 0.25p as profit.  If this is BT, then they would keep 0.5p.

Most 3rd party providers have to pay BT about 0.25p per minute anyway to route geographical calls, and then a further 0.25p per minute to BT (or maybe NTL, Telewest, or a VOIP provider) as the terminating operator of the person you're calling.

BT have always stated that they only make enough to route the call from 0870, and that may well be true.  However BT is a supplier of 0870 numbers and makes alot of money that way instead.

Also, if you're calling from a mobile, then the mobile company would either pay the 6p per minute to the terminating telco, and make a bit profit on it.

And any 3rd party suppliers charging more than BT for 0870 through the BT line would also make this profit.

These figures are for daytime rates.  A whole new lower set of rates for terminating, and routing calls to geo numbers and 0870 numbers apply.  The terminating telco receives less money, but rarely passes this back to the person receiving the calls.

And don't forget, we pay VAT on our phone bill so a mobile company for instance charging 10p per minute for 0870 when mobile inclusive minutes could be used for geo numbers, that 10p is inclusive of VAT.  The rate before VAT is around 8.5p, so their markup would be 2.5p.

Therefore as you may well have noticed, it is the mobile networks that have a more vested interest of keeping 0870 going.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2006 at 8:48pm

Thanks Shiggaddi for those further details - its appreciated even if it getting complicated now!  Shocked

Relating this to the BBC thread, have I got it right that Capita are the terminating provider in this case and provide the BBC with their 0870 numbers.  It seems that the BBC do not receive any revenue share (but receive telecom features/equipment instead) so this leaves Capita with a greater share of the 0870 money, perhaps 6ppm from the 7.5ppm I pay my phone company (in my case AOL) ?

Regarding mobiles and 0870s, which as you point out gain even more from 0870s, is it still the terminating provider that gains the most or do the originating providers also take an extra large chunk too ?

Thanks again for any further advice...
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006 at 8:52pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2006 at 9:21pm

gdh82 wrote on May 14th, 2006 at 8:48pm:
Thanks Shiggaddi for those further details - its appreciated even if it getting complicated now!  Shocked

Relating this to the BBC thread, have I got it right that Capita are the terminating provider in this case and provide the BBC with their 0870 numbers.  It seems that the BBC do not receive any revenue share (but receive telecom features/equipment instead) so this leaves Capita with a greater share of the 0870 money, perhaps 6ppm from the 7.5ppm I pay my phone company (in my case AOL) ?

Regarding mobiles and 0870s, which as you point out gain even more from 0870s, is it still the terminating provider that gains the most or do the originating providers also take an extra large chunk too ?

Thanks again for any further advice...

I think Capita receive their phone numbers from Cable and Wireless.

Most providers such as C&W sell their 0870 numbers to either the BBC, or other large telecom companies to resell again to customers.  This all comes from the approx 6p per minute.

C&W probably own the geo numbers that the 0870 is pointed to as well.

C&W only administer the 0870 numbers and probably pass almost all the profit (perhaps only retaining about 0.25p) to Capita.

Capita then buy the telecoms equipment, and give it free to the BBC, and pocket the profits from the 0870 call!!

On the subject of mobiles, the terminating provider would have an access agreement with BT, and mobile networks to pay 6p per minute (I'm guessing at this figure of course but it is probably quite close) for every minute someone calls from their network.  BT only pass on that cost, a small cut and of course VAT but mobile companies and other landline providers can charge more, and they keep that profit.

Although BT as they say don't profit from 0870 calls, they do gain some advantage.

Let's say a customer on option 3 makes a 30 minute call to an 0870 number.  BT keep that small cost of forwarding the call, and out of the 6p, the terminating provider has to pay BT a very small amount again, to forward the call onto their network again.

If that same customer uses this site, and finds a geo number, that 30 minute call on option 3 is free to the caller, but BT lose out on the forwarding costs, and if the number is terminated on C&W, or NTL etc, then BT have to pay the termination costs.

Therefore BT do have a vested interest in keeping 0870, but nowhere near as much as mobile companies, or indeed the terminating telcos (which includes BT)
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006 at 9:22pm by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2006 at 4:19pm

I was assured by none other than a senior Ofcom employee that the BBC get most of their outgoing phone calls for nothing due to all the revenue share taken by Cable & Wirless on the incoming calls.  The BBC are therefore getting a big kickback on the cost of the 0870 calls.  Its just that they don't receive an actual payment but get a massive discount on their own outgoing phone call costs.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2006 at 7:10pm

Thanks again Shiggaddi, not least for helping me out with Capita/Cable and Wireless distinction.  The more I find out, the more complicated it becomes!  I think I've learnt more than I can handle for one thread so I'm going to have a lie down to let it all sink in  Embarrassed Grin

Seriously, though, thanks for helping me get my head around some of this stuff!  It's appreciated.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Deleted
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2006 at 7:29pm

Deleted
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006 at 11:09pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2006 at 10:43pm

Quote:
What do you do in your day job gdh and what kind of age are you?

I'm not sure if you misunderstood NGM but the "joke" was supposed to be at my expense and I was referring to the NTS process, originating providers, terminating providers, variable revenue share, features/equipment in lieu of revenue share, "middle-men" companies between organisations and telcos,   3rd party carriers paying the wholesale provider - I genuinely find this all abit complicated !  My questions were genuine and I honestly appreciated the responses, especially the trouble taken by Shaggaddi in reply.  So, you see, my lack of understanding was not concerning the deceitful nature of some organisations at all.

As much as I respect the majority of your contributions to this forum, NGM, your question above is not one of them.  I'm not one for flaming posts either but your question is irrelevant and it certainly isn't your place to post it !   

I hope, NGM, you can accept this  Roll Eyes and we can get back on-topic ...

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006 at 11:03pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2006 at 11:10pm

My understanding concurs with Shiggaddi's having read the consultations.

As far as other providers go, such as mobiles, I don't believe they pay the terminating provider anything more than other providers. For this to be so, they would presumably have to have a separate agreement. Why would they want to pay more? Who pays more for anything than they have to?!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2006 at 11:30pm

Dave wrote on May 15th, 2006 at 11:10pm:
Who pays more for anything than they have to?!

Millions of people a day who call 0870 numbers instead of the underlying geographic phone number or people like my sister who is fearful of changing gas or electricity supplier wrongly imagining that it will be less reliable than good old British Gas and SeeBoard at £150 a year more than she needs to pay.

People often pay more than they need to based on ignorance and fear of the unknown, although I agree it is highly unlikely that any of the four major uk mobile networks suffers from this kind of information deficit problem in their mobile phone call pricing and call supply costs with their underlying fixed line telecoms suppliers.
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006 at 11:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - May 16th, 2006 at 1:38pm

NGM, perhaps I could reword what I said. It's less a case of paying more than they need to, and more a case of why would they seek to push up the amount that they pass to terminating telcos (i.e. NGN providers)?

Quote:
Millions of people a day who call 0870 numbers instead of the underlying geographic phone number ...

These sorts of people are typically those who have taken for granted that these numbers are 'acceptable'. By that I mean that they don't bat an eyelid that something about them could be taking advantage of them, financially. I don't reguard these people as 'stupid' but I do view the authorities as being completely neglegent in enforcing a fair system for consumers. Companies have been allowed to push back the boundary between what's acceptable and what's not.

Quote:
... or people like my sister who is fearful of changing gas or electricity supplier wrongly imagining that it will be less reliable than good old British Gas and SeeBoard at £150 a year more than she needs to pay.

This raises another issue about having many providers. Ofcom has acknowledged that some consumers haven't switched [from BT presumably?]. It's not a simple case that all of these people are unaware of their choice, some consumers will never switch. They look on it that BT provides the telephone service and that's it. So Ofcom is trying to force something onto some consumers who don't want it? Has Ofcom considered this angle or does it only consider competition, competition and competition?

Quote:
People often pay more than they need to based on ignorance and fear of the unknown, although I agree it is highly unlikely that any of the four major uk mobile networks suffers from this kind of information deficit problem in their mobile phone call pricing and call supply costs with their underlying fixed line telecoms suppliers.

But these are businesses operated by astute [for want of a better word] business people. In the most part, consumers don't think that way. They look at promotional material from companies and make their decisions from there. That is why these businesses have [more astute?] marketing people.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge