Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outgoing Calls Barred & Broadband (Read 5,371 times)
fidd

Outgoing Calls Barred & Broadband
Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:42pm

I have read on an earlier thread (last summer) that people talking about some ISPs allowing Broadband on BT lines that have Outgoing calls barred or even incoming and outgoing barred.

The shared house I live in has OCB and I would like to get broadband on that line, but it seems that every ISP website I visit rejects me when I eneter my phonenumber in.

Is there anyway round this.

Or can somebody suggest a ISP that will allow me to get broadband.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: Outgoing Calls Barred & Broadband
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:50pm

Is the 'phone bill for the incoming only line in your name?
If not you might well need the authorisation or agreement of the billpayer.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 6:19pm

fidd wrote on Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:42pm:
The shared house I live in has OCB and I would like to get broadband on that line, but it seems that every ISP website I visit rejects me when I eneter my phonenumber in.

Is there anyway round this.
I would be surprised that by just entering your number, other ISPs would be informed straight away that you are on incoming calls only.  I would have thought that they wouldn't be informed of this and only when an order is placed with an ISP, at which point BT get involved, would you then be informed that you are not allowed broadband.

I'm not certain though but does seem unlikely if you ask me especially as other forum members have reported getting broadband even though they have incoming calls only.

Maybe because you have just migrated your line over to BT, or that you have only just got your line installed because I know if its either of these it can take a few weeks before the your number is accepted by other ISPs as BT have to add your number to their list.

Have you thought of Telewest?  Telewest broadband is £14.99 a month for a year which would give you 2mb download speed with no caps, etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2006 at 6:20pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

peterjwfrench

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 4:54pm

A soultion around this ask bt if you can sign up for broadband tempoary usally they will say yes after it being installed (i know there more expensive) wait a few working days ring up and get a mirgration code - find your prefered ip and then give them the mirgration code even then if your phone gets cut off your broadband will probley work 9/10 times its fine.

alterntivley now I am no way in suggesting to do what is mentioned below and no way is there any guarentee in this next comment shown below

If anyone in your road has broadband then you might want to by yourself and ADSL router and put in your old ids from bt after you canx there broadband service and then use password and username as if you where still with bt and youl be connected to bt - however you will not get true broadband speed unless the other person down the road isn't using there connection they do someing like a connection ratio the more people on broad i.e usally 1:50 which is 1 large connection to 50 users if all 50 users you can experience slow times other use 1:30 which is better.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 12:15pm

The database ISPs use may well contain information about whether the line can take broadband. If the line is OCB, it may be flagged in the database as not being a standard line, which is why ISPs reject you. I recommend this site for checking your line for ADSL, as it gives you lots of extra information:
ADSL line check

The best place to ask broadband questions is ADSLguide.

peterjwfrench wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 4:54pm:
A soultion around this ask bt if you can sign up for broadband tempoary usally they will say yes after it being installed (i know there more expensive) wait a few working days ring up and get a mirgration code - find your prefered ip and then give them the mirgration code even then if your phone gets cut off your broadband will probley work 9/10 times its fine.

If BT don't want people to have broadband with OCB, why are they going to let someone use their own ADSL service (if that's what you are suggesting)? Also, like most ISPs, BT have a minimum contract period of 12 months. Once you sign up with them, you can't cancel for the first year.

peterjwfrench wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 4:54pm:
If anyone in your road has broadband then you might want to by yourself and ADSL router and put in your old ids from bt after you canx there broadband service and then use password and username as if you where still with bt and youl be connected to bt - however you will not get true broadband speed unless the other person down the road isn't using there connection they do someing like a connection ratio the more people on broad i.e usally 1:50 which is 1 large connection to 50 users if all 50 users you can experience slow times other use 1:30 which is better.

Again, it's not clear what point you are making. Are you suggesting you try to use someone else's wireless connection? If so, many people secure their connections these days. And while this isn't illegal, it's slightly immoral if the other person hasn't agreed to it.

If you are suggesting to use someone else's login, that won't work as it's tied to a particular line. In addition, how would you have the line ADSL enabled when the whole issue is that BT won't do this while the line is restricted?

bbb_uk recommended cable broadband, and I'd second that, although you'll need your landlord's approval to install it. It's reliable, and you don't have to mess about with microfilters, MAC codes, and all the other baggage that comes with ADSL.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge