Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Conference call (Read 11,105 times)
Keith

Surrey
Conference call
Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:12pm

This post is just to highlight the farce of 0870. Sadly all of you who read this know this already!

Tomorrow I will be involved in a conference call. I am given a list of numbers I can call to dial in. The list is by country and presumably you will be assumed to dial your home country number. Not me sadly. I will be dialing in from the UK, but will be dialling either a US or Swedish number as this will be significantly cheaper than dialing the 0870 number given to UK participants.

Annoyingly it will still cost me (I'm on BT Together Option 3, with the  International add on which costs £1 per month) 3p per minute rather than the 0p per minute it should cost me (Option 3). But still a hell of a lot cheaper than the 0870 number. Why would anyone use the 0870 number other than through ignorance.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Conference call
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:56pm

Keith wrote on Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:12pm:
Annoyingly it will still cost me (I'm on BT Together Option 3, with the  International add on which costs £1 per month) 3p per minute rather than the 0p per minute it should cost me (Option 3). But still a hell of a lot cheaper than the 0870 number. Why would anyone use the 0870 number other than through ignorance.

Why not sign up with www.18185.co.uk  They only charge 0.5p per minute for a USA number plus connection charge of 4p.

Or if you don't want to sign up to anything permanent call using BT and the www.bestminutes.co.uk number for the USA of 0844 861 62 62.  This only costs 1p per minute compared to BT's 3p per minute.

More info on cheapest call prices at http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2006 at 8:57pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 11:01pm

Who is operating the conference call? Have you complained? And would you like forum members to help you search for a geographical number?

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 1:34am

I dont know the full circumstances in this case but normally where an 090/ 0870/0871/0844  access number is involved in a conference call ,no host fees or low host fees  are involved .So  the provider of the conference call is providing the service free/low cost to the people hosting it,and they make their money from NGN numbers provided for the participants to use.

The other way round is for the  cost of the conference call to be centrally billed to the hosts. Each participant pays the cost of a geographical  phone call,or is given freephone access into the conference and the hosts pick up the cost of the conference charge per person, per minute.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006 at 1:39am by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 2:29am

Quote:
I dont know the full circumstances in this case but normally where an 090/ 0870/0871/0844  access number is involved in a conference call ,no host fees or low host fees  are involved .So  the provider of the conference call is providing the service free/low cost to the people hosting it,and they make their money from NGN numbers provided for the participants to use.

The other way round is for the  cost of the conference call to be centrally billed to the hosts. Each participant pays the cost of a geographical  phone call,or is given freephone access into the conference and the hosts pick up the cost of the conference charge per person, per minute.

But as with all these scams it is reliant on a form of deliberate deception to the participants that 0870 "is only the BT national rate sir/madam" which the two faced liars at BT to this day perpetuate for 0845 and 0870 numbers on every phone bill they print for their customers (and which the even more incompetent bureaucrats at Ofcom still allow to take place).

If all 084 and 087 calls contained a clear announcement that the number called contained a payment to the party called for providing the service you are calling and stated the amount per minute and there was no pretence it was national rate or local rate then there would be less to object to.  But even then ther would be other issues such as the security of a system involving such payments when phone lines are open for use and not PIN protected against such payment calls by callers other than the line subscriber and in the case of mere customer service desks the issue of whether it is right to charge customers for the mere provilege of calling to do business with the company.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 11:18am

Could you post the other countries' dial-in numbers, minus the last couple of digits of course, so that members of this site could determine whether the other countries use revenue sharing numbers?

This might add further confirmation of our suspicions of UK (mal)practices.

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 12:10pm

Heres an example here of a provider who uses ngn numbers in different countries.They use National Rate to describe all of them?

https://www.meetingzone.com/intconfnow/default.aspx
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006 at 12:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 12:12pm

Quote:
Heres an example here of a provider who uses ngn numbers in different countries.They use the word National Rate to describe all of them. Shocked

https://www.meetingzone.com/intconfnow/default.aspx

Woops how can i delete this?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006 at 12:14pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 3:43pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't read any of it until after my call. The info on calling abroad with reduced rates is interesting - thank NGM.

I called the Swedish number to join the conference which I checked beforehand with BT was a Geo number (and got F&F on it as well).

I did complain, but very gently as the people I was on the call with were all potential customers. The call was set up from Sweden and the numbers given out were numbers at their various worldwide offices that linked to the conference. Their UK office uses 0870 hence the direct line to the this internal number linking to the conference is an 0870. So they are not trying to profit out of the conference calls, but out of people phoning their offices anytime. Unfortuately that hits anyone calling into a conference call they set up who calls from the UK. For future calls I have asked for a Geo alternative, but it could be difficult pushing for it and I don't want to get on the wrong side of my customer explaining to him that his UK operation runs a scam!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge