Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates (Read 77,001 times)
omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 11:21am

The cynic in me (surely not!!!) would assume that if enough 'regulatory bodies' are established by Governments then ultimately it will always be possible to 'pass you on' and the circle will eventually be completed - back where you originally started.

Just as I wrote this a hospital appointment letter arrived for me from my local Infirmary, and if I do not like the appointment I can change by ringing "0845......(Local Rate)" !!

Might as well give up.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 4:59pm

Just been to the local library. As I waited for my son to select his books I picked up a stack of Yellow Pages. Lots of the 2006/07 editions have these 0845 ads all over them. It is not just Newcastle and Guildford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Despair.

Off on holiday now.

IP Logged

ms01

Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 5:18pm

It would seem that Yell / Yellow Pages are particularly keen to encourage the view that 0845 numbers are nice and cheap to call.

A google search of yellow pages 0845 shows one result which is Yellow Pages Terms & Conditions. Scroll down that page and you'll see the Call Counter Programme gives Yell customers an 0845 number, so they can monitor usage/stats.

Maybe not such an error or accident on the part of YP to have these (non)advertisments splashed all over the book. Undecided

IP Logged

mikemundy

Reply #18 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 11:12pm

I have just scanned through the 2006/7 Brighton edfition of YP, and can see no reference to call costs for 0845 numbers. May be with over 1600 pages, there isn't room for them!
It was pleasing to see many 0800 numbers used.

Mike.....Burgess Hill   Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Yellow pages 0845 propaganda = Low call rates
Reply #19 - Mar 6th, 2007 at 8:17pm

My local Yellow Pages from 2006/07 did not show the "Local call rates" rubbish.

However, this year it does show something similar. On the front cover in the bottom right there is a box that says "0845 = Low call rates", and refers the reader to the "Consumer Information" section:

Quote:
What are 08 numbers?

With more and more businesses using the various 08 numbers, it's good to be aware of the differences in pricing when dialling them. Calling 08 numbers costs less than you might think, with everyone from your local shop to local car dealer using them.

0800 and 0808 - FREE
0845 - Call charge from most landlines is 3p per minute*
0870 - Call charge from most landlines is 7.51p per minute*

*Call charges may vary depending on network

Within the listings there is the rubbish that "0845=Low call rates", with small print "Call charge from most landlines is 3p per minute, call charges may vary depending on network". This is in boxes to pad out where gaps would otherwise be. And they used to use these spaces to promote other sections within the Yellow Pages.

Whilst those local small businesses that use 0845 numbers are in the minority, there are certainly more than I would of expected. There are also quite a few that persist in lying about it being "local rate" or "low-call rate" or something similar.

It is also noticeable that there are far less 0870s than 0845s. It appears that 0845 is the new 0870!

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #20 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:23am

Having been asked to advertise in Yellow Pages, I can explain a percentage of the 0845s.
If YP rent your an 0845 from their selection, then you get a monthly report showing what numbers called you and at what time.
This allows you to see if the advertising has been effective in a particular area.
If you had one number with YP, and one with Thomsons, then you would know which was better for you. It would also save you having to remember to ask where they saw the advert as it would be obvious to you at the end of the month.
The amount of times I've forgotten, or the customer won't say, are too numerous.

The fact that YP gets an income off these numbers either doesn't occur to the advertiser, or the monthly breakdown makes it worthwhile. After all, they're not paying for it.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #21 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 9:15am

As you will see from post I made to this threasd sometime ago I complained to Yellow Pages about this - to no effect! I think this is important as a vast number of people use Yellow Pages and the message was plastered in bold on about every other page that 0845 = Local Rate.

Up until the last post I assumed this was a cock up. After all everyone believe 0845 is local rate and I couldn't see any benefit to YP in doing this. However the last post shows there is a financial benefit to Yellow Pages to mislead. This is disgraceful. is there anything we can do.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #22 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 9:17am

Sorry don't know where 'thingy up' came from!!!! Or is this a filter - it should have read 'cc*k up'

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 10:30am

Surely this is a complaint that can be made to the ASA? or even Trading Standards,(good luck with TS), however it is not the case in our YPs,

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 5:53pm

Was just flicking thro' this thread and was a bit surprised at jrawle's comment. Surely there is no difference
in price in dialling any geographic UK number whether to John O'Groats to Lands End or to one's next door neighbour? I thhink this commonly held misperception  gives credence to these deceivers with their NGNs

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Yellow pages 0845 = Low call rates
Reply #25 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 8:08pm

a very nice man wrote on Mar 7th, 2007 at 7:23am:
If YP rent your an 0845 from their selection, then you get a monthly report showing what numbers called you and at what time.
This allows you to see if the advertising has been effective in a particular area.

That's funny because that thought did cross my mind when I was looking. Especially as quite a few quote "local rate" and that there must be some party that has perpetrated these lies (other than Ofcom and communications providers, that is).

Apart from all the misleading adverts, I think that the Yellow Pages is not misleading as such. They have replaced the word 'local' with the similar sounding 'low', which is, of course, subjective.

The size of the adverts shows that they were probably offered graphical ones in boxes rather than the plain listings.

I don't know about 0845 = Low call rates, but Yellow Pages = Rip off con merchants sounds better!

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #26 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 10:32pm

It specifically says '0845 = Local Rate' on just about every other page of my YP in bold yellow boxes.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 10:43pm

Keith wrote on Mar 7th, 2007 at 10:32pm:
It specifically says '0845 = Local Rate' on just about every other page of my YP in bold yellow boxes.

I am referring to the 2007/08 editions that state "0845 = Low call rate".

I understand that some of last year's (2006/07) showed "0845 = Local rate"

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #28 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 9:16am

I didn't realise. This change is surely deliberate (which makes it worse) and still very misleading as the rate is not low at all for just about everyone. Can we still complain to the ASA and how do we do that? There is no point in me complaining about mine (until I get my new YP) as they will simply reply that they have changed the wording. The complaint needs to be about the new wording.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #29 - Mar 8th, 2007 at 9:21am

Mine says :- 0845=Local Call Rates
Note the plural, Rates.
Is this supposed to cloud the issue even further? Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge