Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates (Read 76,642 times)
abs

Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates
Aug 4th, 2006 at 12:19pm

Just received my new Yellow Pages for 06/07. Virtually every page has a message 0845 = LOCAL CALL RATES !!! Surely Yell.com are bound by ASA guidelines and as a directory service should know better.

many thanks for this great site, keep it up

IP Logged

kk

Re: Yellow pages 0845 = Local call rates
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 12:40pm

Hi abs

Make a complaint to: The publishers of the Yellow Pages, the ASA at www.asa.org.uk and Ofcom.

If you don’t complain, nothing will change.  

Head a short complaint with the word “Complaint” as this will trigger the various complaints procedures.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2006 at 12:41pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 3:03pm

abs wrote on Aug 4th, 2006 at 12:19pm:
Just received my new Yellow Pages for 06/07. Virtually every page has a message 0845 = LOCAL CALL RATES

Where are these messages? I have just had a quick look through mine, delivered about 2 weeks ago and cannot find such a message, if it is on virtually every page I would have thought I would have found it in the first 40 pages.

IP Logged

abs

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 3:17pm

In the Newcastle upon Tyne 06/07 ( Directory no 61) on pages 28,29,42,43,44,44,47,48,51,53,55,56,58,59,63,64,67,68 etc till 1614!!!!! some of them are a third of a page big!! This is a massive misinformation campaign
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2006 at 3:19pm by abs »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2006 at 3:18pm

Mine also has all these messages, yours must be a rogue copy, derrick!!
Complaint will be heading their way shortly.

IP Logged

LeeUK

NE UK
Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 12:57am

I got the new Newcastle Upon Tyne version a few weeks ago and can confirm that it has 0845 = Local call rates writen all over it. What a lie!

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 5:40pm

It's been a while since I've seen a yellow pages - I haven't got one.

For those that have got one then I do believe it helps our cause to complain to Yellow Pages (at first) and pointing out to them that 0845 isn't local rate and pointing out that ASA guidelines stipulate that call prices have to be displayed (include links to appropriate ASA guidelines).

I can only guess that yellow pages would probably inform their customers that their adverts that have an 084/087x in them have to mention the call costs.

This, I hope, will then maybe force companies that have 084x/087x numbers to maybe switch to their geographicals.  This is more likely the case for those companies that have 0845 and therefore are less likely to earn a revenue and were probably missold their 0845 on the basis that it is cheaper regardless of where their customers are calling from in the country.  This is especially true for companies that do not need advanced calling features offered by 0845 (eg smaller companies) but only got them because they were misinformed about 0845.  Of course those companies that operate more than one call centre across the country do unfortunately take advantage of advanced calling features.

Those using 0870 are likely to be earning a revenue so therefore are less likely to switch back to geographicals.

I'm hoping that these smaller companies that were misinformed about 0845 will realise that they are not helping their customers by operating an 0845 especially if the company concerned has to start mentioning the costs of calling 0845.  This is more true if the company concerned is informed that 0845 isn't local rate which they will only believe when the likes of the ASA inform them.

As we know, companies don't generally believe us when we say that 084x isn't local rate and 087x isn't national rate simply because for years they have been known as this and many companies (including to a certain degree BT) still maintain this scam.

The two relevant links about ASA guidelines concerning these numbers are here and here.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2006 at 5:55pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

abs

Reply #7 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 6:59pm

Thanks BBB-uk for your reply.
Just to add to your comments about complaining to Yellow pages. I assume they have no financial interest in promoting 0845/0870 as they use 0800 Smiley, they probably think that they are providing a useful public service by explaining what these numbers mean so they may be more open to reason than other companies with a financial gain. Unless all these messages gave been paid for by a Telco to promote their service Wink

Does anyone have the email address of the best person to complain to?

By the way, is it only the Newcastle directory with this problem or are there any others?
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2006 at 7:10pm by abs »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 12:57pm

I've just rec'd my Guildford Yellow Pages. On the cover it says in bold:

"0845 = Local call rates. Our Consumer Information section has more details on call rates"

On this page it says the following:

"What are 08 numbers?

"With more and more businesses using the various 08 numbers, it is good to be aware of the difference in pricing when dialing them. Calling 08 numbers costs less than you might think, with everyone from your local shop to local car dealers using them:
0800 and 0800 - FREE
0845 - charged at Local rate
0870 - charged at National Rate

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 1:17pm

I've just called Customer Services at Yellow Pages. The guy I spoke to went into this site to have a look. He is going to report it to their marketing department. They are obviously providing this information as a service so it is obviously a misunderstanding, but unfortuately is does perpetuate the misinformation on 0845 and 0870 numbers.

The really bad news is that when he first went in he clicked on one of the google ads, which of course told him the usual lie. Trying to explain that these ads are contary to what thew site is all about and outside of your control rather deflected from the point. I know this has been discussed many times before and you can't do anything about it.

I walked him thru' the site to the relevant Yellow pages discussion and the link to the ASA guidelines, so it ended up positive. Maybe they will post to the site! I hope so.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 2:32pm

Having reacted to the message on the cover I didn't look thru the pages (other than the Consumer Information). I now notice that there are big ads on nearly every page with the message:

0845 = Local call rates.

What a nightmare. How could they get it so wrong. If these are going out everywhere this misinformation just gets worse. As Yellow Pages are local the cost for most people is just so much more by dialling 0845. But it is no wonder people think an 0845 number is cheaper.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2006 at 3:46pm

Keith wrote on Aug 14th, 2006 at 2:32pm:
What a nightmare. How could they get it so wrong. If these are going out everywhere this misinformation just gets worse. As Yellow Pages are local the cost for most people is just so much more by dialling 0845. But it is no wonder people think an 0845 number is cheaper.

Of course, if you live in Cornwall and dial Scotland, the cost of dialling 0845 for most people is the same during the day, and much more in the evening. Very few people make any savings by using 0845.

"0845 = national rate (daytime), premium rate (evening)" would be more accurate in Yellow Pages.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2006 at 3:47pm by jrawle »  
IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #12 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 5:13pm

I'm mainly making this post to get it to the top of the list again Grin as to me this is a big problem as I'm assuming that if it has gone out in Newcastle and Guildford it is going out eveywhere and this is a huge misinformation campaign, albeit unintentional I assume.

If I were an advertiser using a Geographic number I would be livid. Being in the know I will always call a geographic number advertiser in preference to an 0870/0845 number, but most people still do not know that 0845s are more expensive and do assume they are cheaper.

This message has reinforced this situation big time.

I'm also disappointed that having reported this to Yellow Pages nobody has called me back.

When I return from a holiday I will follow up.

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 8:04am

I took this up with the ASA, and after sending them a copy of the offending item, I got a reply saying that '...the area you draw attention to is outside our frame of reference, as it is an editorial piece and not an advertisement.'
They then suggest contacting local Trading Standards, or our beloved Ofcom!!
Ah well !!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 9:40am

omy wrote on Aug 19th, 2006 at 8:04am:
I took this up with the ASA, and after sending them a copy of the offending item, I got a reply saying that '...the area you draw attention to is outside our frame of reference, as it is an editorial piece and not an advertisement.'
They then suggest contacting local Trading Standards, or our beloved Ofcom!!

This sort of thing is getting to be a complete joke! Cry Cry Cry Cry

I can see what they mean because it is not an advertisement by a company, informing customers of the charges associated with its 0845 number. However, even if TS or Ofcom take the complaint seriously, what will they do? I'd be very suprised if they force them to recall the offending publications.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge