Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dialing 0870/0845/0800 on Tesco's mobile (Read 30,095 times)
Keith

Surrey
Dialing 0870/0845/0800 on Tesco's mobile
Aug 15th, 2006 at 4:50pm

I've just bought a tesco's PAYG mobile. No where can I find the cost for dialing 0870/0845/0800. It isn't in the T&C or tariff info. great when you can't find the cost!

I've emailed them and they have replied that the cost of all these calls will be 'Local Rate'. Now as there is no such concept as local rate on the tesco's tariff I find this very dubious and have asked again for the cost. Also I can't see how an 0870 can be local rate!

Now on their web site when they quote one of these numbers to contact them they say 'please check with your service provider for details of their charges'. Yet I can't get this very info from them as a service provider.

Does anyone out there know?

Thanks

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Dialing 0870/0845/0800 on Tesco's mobile
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 6:46pm

Don't know, couldn't find it anywhere. I suggest you ask again. Ask them how you can have a "local rate" on a mobile. The tariff pages do make it clear that non-geographical numbers are excluded, so "local rate" is completely misleading.

The annoying thing is, if you call to ask them, it'll either cost 20p from your mobile, or 0870 rates from a landline.

I think all phone operators should have to provide a table giving the rates for every available code in a standard format, that can easily found by customers. Tesco is particularly bad in not listing costs of 0845 and 0870; others don't give costs of calling 0844 numbers (because there's such a range of prices).

As an aside, while I was looking at the Tesco site, I noticed this:
Quote:
*EU is defined as: Austria, Belgium, Denmark (excluding Faroe Islands & Greenland), Finland (excluding Aland Islands), France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2006 at 6:47pm by jrawle »  
IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 8:10pm

Thank goodness for that! We are out of the EU (according to Tesco)

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2006 at 8:18pm

It is, and always has, been very difficult to get prices for these type of calls as the networks (landlines included) don't like to publish them because it highlights that they're excluded from tariffs and in some cases that these calls cost a lot more - especially from a mobile.

New rules from Ofcom come into force from Monday 21st August and at this time all teleco's/mobile networks are meant to (although I doubt it without them being pushed into it) clearly indicate the prices to these numbers as they do their geographical numbers.  In other words, they have to give equal prominence to both the costs of NGN's like they do their geographical numbers.

This is why I think o2 have recently announced changes in their pricing of these numbers because with o2 it varied between 35ppm to 5ppm for some type of numbers.  Now its 15ppm regardless of time of day or number called (with the exception of 0871).

Tesco mobile, which are also bound by the same rules as other telecos (ie displaying the cost of these numbers), should also display their costs on their website from Monday 21st.

At a guess (it is ONLY a guess) but Tesco may charge the same as o2 because Tesco mobile uses the o2 network.  Tesco, may on the other hand, want to add a few pence on to o2's prices.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2006 at 9:01pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2006 at 12:28pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 15th, 2006 at 8:10pm:
Thank goodness for that! We are out of the EU (according to Tesco)

More significantly, there are 24 countries in the European Union, in addition to the UK. Tesco advertise certain prices as for "Calls to EU*, USA and Canada", rather than "Selected EU countries, USA and Canada". Anyone who neglects to read the footnote and uses their phone in Poland or Cyprus might get a nasty shock when they find the call cost nearly twice as much.

IP Logged

0rsen

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:57pm

To find the scale of charges for NG numbers, go to www.tescointernetphone.com click on the left hand side link "How much does it cost?" and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Here you will find a very long list of various charges.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 5:06pm

That isn't their mobile charges unfortunately but their internet phone charges. Which is a shame because these are a lot cheaper Cry

They have got back to me and confirmed the cost will be 20p/min, the same as any other Uk call. Annoyingly you can get 3 favourites for 1/2 price but can't include an 08XX on the favourites which is what I wanted to do as the main reason for buying the phone was for emergencies (eg phoning the breakdown service).

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 11:53pm

The funny thing is, the price list gives the cost of calls to various mobile networks, but not to Tesco mobiles!  It even includes rival virtual operator Virgin.

I have to say, there are cheaper VoIP providers around.

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2006 at 8:34am

Keith wrote on Aug 18th, 2006 at 5:06pm:
That isn't their mobile charges unfortunately but their internet phone charges. Which is a shame because these are a lot cheaper Cry

They have got back to me and confirmed the cost will be 20p/min, the same as any other Uk call. Annoyingly you can get 3 favourites for 1/2 price but can't include an 08XX on the favourites which is what I wanted to do as the main reason for buying the phone was for emergencies (eg phoning the breakdown service).

Are you phoning an 0800 number ? their might be a solution. Wink

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:17am

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday. Yes it is an 0800 number. I'm probably being a bit thick but I'm not sure what the solution is that you are 'winking' at! Other of course than treying to find out a Geo number possibly.

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:28am

Keith wrote on Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:17am:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been on holiday. Yes it is an 0800 number. I'm probably being a bit thick but I'm not sure what the solution is that you are 'winking' at! Other of course than treying to find out a Geo number possibly.

www.pre-dial.com have two little known unpublished dial through geo access numbers which let you access freephone numbers.They are  0200 222 0700/0900 .Register one as a friend and get your Freephone Calls for 10p.

You could also register their O2 dial through  access number as a friend .Click on FREE DESTINATION LIST for details ,and get cheaper Evening and Weekend calls to numerous destinations including UK ones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge