<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Traveline (Read 79,721 times)
jamieb28

Re: Traveline
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:55pm

hello all, i work for traveline south east in exeter, i discovered this site due to a caller asking me for our local office number which i declined to give her & then during our conversation she told me about this site so i thought id have a look & found this thread.

anyway thats the backround story, the reason i have posted to to explain how traveline works. the councils contract out each area to independant business such as ours in exeter who manage 3 different regions, the way our company earns its money is we get paid per call by the appropriate council which as i understand it, it isnt enough for our business to run itself & generate profit so we must charge for phone calls as well. Now i know that you will think that you shouldnt have to pay for this information but as you also know public transport was privatised along time ago and we are not funded by the goverment so we have to charge for our services.

also fyi if you do manage to get through to our local office number we or any other traveline office we will be unable to help you due to the fact the phone is not located anywhere near the computers that hold the travel information plus also it would probably be answered by our admin who is not trained in using the either using the computer systems which hold the bus/train times or dealing with the general public.

i understand why this site exists but you have to look at the whole picture i mean i have worked for several different call centres BT & EDF Energy to name two. you have to remember these companies are businesses & to run a large call centre the costs of the wages, equipment, electricity & cleaners etc etc ammounts to alot! so where does all this money come from? it has to be generated by the calls doesnt it, companies dont have to provide you with trained staff a phone call away ready to answer your queries.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:56pm by jamieb28 »  

IP Logged

crazyinlove84

Devon
Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:09pm

Jamie, you remind me of a typical Call Centre Agent, stupid!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:17pm

crazyinlove84 wrote on Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:09pm:
Jamie, you remind me of a typical Call Centre Agent, stupid!

Evidently you are at the same location as jamieb28 as you have the same IP address as he and you are posting from work as your IP address resolves to Portland House, Exeter, the same as that of your workplace.

Perhaps it's a quiet day in the office at Traveline South East today and the agents are sat around looking on the internet.
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2008 at 4:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

anonyy

Reply #18 - Jun 22nd, 2008 at 9:12pm

hello jamie,

i understand your sentiments but i think it should be charged only at a cheaper rate, i hate calling it on my mobile number as i'm not too aware of the charges.

Scenario is: if you haven't got much money on a pay as you go phone you may not have enough for a call to a taxi company if you so happen to be waiting for a bus that hasn't come, or that there isn't a timetable displayed at the bus stop.  its all these little inconveniences that annoys me.

IP Logged

Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 2:51am

I appreciate Jamie's comment but note that other Traveline regions have produced a geographic number, maybe the South East region operates with a different contract?

anonyy's point is my position in that if one is short of funds and trying to get info but only has a mobile phone it can be very expensive. The point is that the public authority who let the contract should require a geographic number to be published alongside the 0871 number.

Calling the poster stupid is unnecessary and offensive, I am grateful to him/her for providing the information.

Maybe the number to try is 01392 20 20 61 which is that given in another message from Dave on March 20th 2008 at 2.19pm as the number for Telephone Information Master, Portland House, Exeter, who is said to be the operator of Traveline South East in another message.

If you have any more up to date information, please post a response, thank you.

IP Logged

crazyinlove84

Devon
Reply #20 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 2:51am:
I appreciate Jamie's comment but note that other Traveline regions have produced a geographic number, maybe the South East region operates with a different contract?

anonyy's point is my position in that if one is short of funds and trying to get info but only has a mobile phone it can be very expensive. The point is that the public authority who let the contract should require a geographic number to be published alongside the 0871 number.

Calling the poster stupid is unnecessary and offensive, I am grateful to him/her for providing the information.

Maybe the number to try is 01392 20 20 61 which is that given in another message from Dave on March 20th 2008 at 2.19pm as the number for Telephone Information Master, Portland House, Exeter, who is said to be the operator of Traveline South East in another message.

If you have any more up to date information, please post a response, thank you.

As Jamieb said in his post, that phone would be answered by the admin which are not near the computer systems and you would only be told to call bacl using the 0870 number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 3:07pm

crazyinlove84 wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
As Jamieb said in his post, that phone would be answered by the admin which are not near the computer systems and you would only be told to call bacl using the 0870 number.

This is clearly an issue which concerns you in your work as you have come back and you are posting on this website from your office PC.

We would be most grateful if you could furnish us with the 01392 number for the Traveline services in question. If you don't know them, then the 01392 prefix used in your office will be useful, eg 01392 1234xx.

IP Logged

Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Reply #22 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:48pm

<This is clearly an issue which concerns you in your work as you have come back and you are posting on this website from your office PC.

We would be most grateful if you could furnish us with the 01392 number for the Traveline services in question. If you don't know them, then the 01392 prefix used in your office will be useful, eg 01392 1234xx.>

Thanks to Dave for pursuing this number which would be very helpful for me to have when I am out and about and a bus seems to me delayed and I suspect a timetable change or other problem I have missed.

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
traveline scotland
Reply #23 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:35pm

0871 2002233             01236 634361

this is what it is in the database, but unfortunately they local number no longer works, i think they have cottoned onto me abusing it LOL

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: traveline scotland
Reply #24 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:54pm

nutellajunkie wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:35pm:
0871 2002233             01236 634361

this is what it is in the database, but unfortunately they local number no longer works, i think they have cottoned onto me abusing it LOL

You must have dialled incorrectly. I just called it and it was answered "Traveline Scotland".

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #25 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:00pm

crumbs! I dont know its been off for a wee while now, and then you go and jinx-a-fix..

Thank you.

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 12:59pm

Bus stops up and down the land now have serial numbers on for the SMS texting service "Txt 4 Times":

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/deliveringservices/directorates_a...

This page on Traveline South West's site says that mobile users can go to www.mytraveline.info on their phones' browsers and look up live departure information.

I have just put my post code into this site and it comes up with a short list of bus stops near me. You can then select the bus stop you require or just enter the bus stop number.

This is an alternative to the 25p premium charge for the text message. Cost is as per your operator's data charges.

Some areas also have sites provided by ACIS Live where you can enter the bus stop number. Strangely, www.mytraveline.info does not accept bus stop numbers, only post codes, town names and street names.

The list of ACIS sites is here:

http://www.acis.uk.com/ACISLive/tabid/79/Default.aspx

Perhaps bus stop codes for those areas that don't have a ACIS site can be entered into one of those that do. From what I can see, these codes are unique nationally.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2009 at 3:52pm

Dave wrote on Jun 27th, 2009 at 12:59pm:
This page on Traveline South West's site says that mobile users can go to www.mytraveline.info on their phones' browsers and look up live departure information.

I have just put my post code into this site and it comes up with a short list of bus stops near me. You can then select the bus stop you require or just enter the bus stop number.

The use of post codes for this sort of application always confuses me - how many people know the post code of anywhere but their own home?   Half the time I'd not be able to tell you the name of the road I was on.. It's a pity that web based applications can't get at the sort of location information that sms/telephone based services seem to be able to draw upon.  Still, it's a step in the right direction... Now if only I had GPRS available on my phone tariff, I'd be able to use it ..

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #28 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 3:53pm

I have just accessed the MyTravelin.mobi site via a Blackberry, it offers:

postcode, street and town or stop name.

Will report back how well it works

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Reply #29 - Aug 31st, 2010 at 5:42pm

[quote author=CJT-80 link=1157393805/15#28 date=1283266395]I have just accessed the MyTravelin.mobi site via a Blackberry, it offers:

postcode, street and town or stop name.

Will report back how well it works

[/quote]
OK thanks, will look forward to knowing that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge