Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Row erupts over benefit line fees (Read 8,701 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Row erupts over benefit line fees
Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:16am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5405620.stm

<<
The government has been criticised for receiving £268,000 from telephone benefit hotlines with the prefix 0845.
Following a Freedom of Information Act request, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said it had been "refunded" the money from the hotline.

The Derbyshire Unemployed Workers Association (DUWA), which obtained the information, said it was "ridiculous" people had to pay to access benefits.

In response, the DWP said it had met official guidance on call charging.

The DWP operates about 2,000 hotlines. Some, such as the Pension Credit line, are free, while others with the prefix 0845 are designed to ensure a standard low cost call rate for all people calling from a landline phone.

Charges on 0845 numbers can be as low as 3.5p per minute.

However, calls from mobile phones can be charged at a higher rate.

Colin Hampton, spokesman for DUWA, said that many people on benefits do not have telephone landlines, using mobile phones instead.

"Despite the cost being as little as 3.5p per minute, many benefit claimants use top-up mobile phones which can often charge more.

"It's ridiculous that people have to pay to access their benefit entitlement," he said.

Mr Hampton added that the government should ensure "this kind of thing can't happen".

The DWP said its hotlines were key to making its services "accessible to all customers" and often saved claimants cash.

"For example Jobseeker Direct (hotline) has found work for a third of a million people while saving them the time and expense of travelling to a Job Centre Plus," a DWP spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman added that its policy met "Cabinet Office guidance on call charging".
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Re: Row erupts over benefit line fees
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 12:30pm

Quote:
Following a Freedom of Information Act request, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said it had been "refunded" the money from the hotline.

The spokeswoman added that its policy met "Cabinet Office guidance on call charging".

So which is it? If they got a refund, it clearly was NOT the contract they thought they had signed.

03 numbers?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2006 at 1:24pm

I believe they've used the word "Refund" instead of revenue share (or micro-payment as Ofcom like to refer to it).  They've got some good PR department to think of the word "refund" as it doesn't sound as bad as other words and in fact makes it sound like its a one-off or something.

IP Logged

longusername

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 9:26pm

idb wrote on Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:16am:
The DWP operates about 2,000 hotlines. Some, such as the Pension Credit line, are free, while others with the prefix 0845 are designed to ensure a standard low cost call rate for all people calling from a landline phone.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me this is deceptive, or at least misleading. Is it not the case that calls to geographical numbers are cheaper than 0845 calls in most cases.

I don't know who designed the 0845 system or what they intended, but the system surely does not <i>function</i> to "ensure a standard low cost call rate for all people calling from a landline phone"?

3.5p is hardly cheap for the unemployed, especially if long holds are entailed.

Am I right about this? If so, then I think an email to Helen Boaden, director of BBC news is in order.

It might be possible to get the BBC to amend the online record and, in the process, educate a few journalists along the way.

At the very least it would be wise to let them know politely that we are not persuaded by their gloss on non-geo numbers.

What does anyone think?

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 10:00pm

Tried to post this morning, but couldn't get on. Glad to hear it was because of the site getting publicity.

Today programme this morning had story on this very early in the morning.  DUWA guy interviewed.

Stuff about the DWP saying it was cheaper than going into an office and they would call back if requested.

DUWA guy said you often had to hang on building up cost for people for whom money was an issue and who often had to use pay as you go mobiles and people didn't necessarily know you could get a call back. Also commented that the government was going on about 'choice', but that there was no choice here - You had to call, no other options.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 12:46am

idb wrote on Oct 4th, 2006 at 11:16am:
The spokeswoman added that its policy met "Cabinet Office guidance on call charging". >>

I feel an FOI coming on as to what Cabinet Office guidance on call charging by governement contact centres may be.

Do they mean the COI perhaps? Wink

If it was the Cabinet Office that has set some hidden guideline then what's the betting that new Ofcom New Labour Chief Toady Ed Richards had a hand in forming those rules back in his days directly advising government ministers? Wink Shocked
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2006 at 12:47am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 4:52pm

longusername wrote on Oct 6th, 2006 at 9:26pm:
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me this is deceptive, or at least misleading.

What does anyone think?

That's the style of the government we've voted in 3 times in a row!

When will we learn?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge