Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 707,828 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #705 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 1:39am

This thread would not be worth its name if it did not include at least one quotation from the quite extraordinary submission to the Ofcom consultation published here - http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/simplifying-non-geo-numb....

The essence of the submission is an impassioned plea for Ofcom not to allow the benefits delivered to the NHS by NEG to be compromised by having to be transparent about call charges.
This is summarised in the following comment:
Quote:
Ofcom could be tempted only to concentrate on the aspect of the DH conclusions that concern price transparency and seek to argue that clarity over costs is all that is required to deliver a satisfactory policy outcome for the NHS.
We believe this would be a serious mis-reading of the situation.

The bare-faced honesty of this remark is quite astonishing. (All that Ofcom can address is the fundamentals that are common for all. Other issues of NHS policy are nothing to do with Ofcom.)

Another piece of honesty is revealing. NEG indicates that Surgery Line is too expensive to be funded directly by a GP in the normal way - it relies totally on additional subsidy from revenue sharing:

Quote:
Although NEG’s business was built initially on an 084 based solution, we have since late 2008 also offered our customers the choice of using an 03 number. None to date has chosen to do so.

Actually Surgery Line started on 0870 numbers. The switch to the most expensive possible 0844 numbers occurred as the government was somehow persuaded that 084 numbers offered a "guaranteed low rate".

Back on more familiar territory, NEG has the nerve to attack OFCOM, because it contends that the basis for its proposals is fundamentally flawed:

Quote:
The problem is that the sum total of these draft proposals would render it impossible for any revenue-sharing number, such as NEG’s Surgery Line, which is charged at the geographic rate or below, to be accurately distinguished from other 084 or revenue-sharing numbers where the consumer pays more than the geographic rate to contact the organisation.

The Department of Health has fallen for this (or at least it has failed to dispute allegations that it has fallen for it), the BMA GPC has been happy to go along with this (whether it truly believes it or not), many Surgery Line users are happy to repeat this and a large number of PCTs have been taken in.

Now that this assertion has been placed so clearly before Ofcom, let us hope that some effort can be made to distinguish fact from fiction in the public domain.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #706 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 12:54am

Fans of this thread will be delighted to know that all has returned to normal after what has appeared to be a public pause.

This announcement of undeclared, but unmistakable, authorship accompanies a statement in this newsletter, both linked to from this website.

Another NHS GP will newly adopt Surgery Line with a type 'g11' 0844 number from 11 May.

Some classic quotes for this thread (read the document for context):
Quote:
The use of 084 numbers in the NHS is supported by the Department of Health

Quote:
decisions on whether to adopt an 084 number will continue to be freely taken by an individual GP surgery

Quote:
For virtually all patients' calls, the local GPs’ 084 number is not more expensive to call than using an ordinary number

Quote:
Patients pay local call rates with the 0844 number charges from landlines.

Quote:
If you use a mobile phone, depending on your provider and contract, such calls can cost more.

Quote:
we encourage you to use a landline.

Quote:
If we use a mobile in the main are there other options we can consider? - you should consider the use of email or use our web site to send messages for matters that can be dealt with.

I am most impressed with the idea that a practice invests in a new telephone system whilst encouraging those who use the increasingly more popular type of telephone not to use it.

When the BT rates for non-inclusive daytime calls go up on Thursday, whilst the Anytime Call Plan subscription is reduced, I expect to hear NEG celebrate with an encouragement for patients not to subscribe to the Anytime Plan.

(This announcement has been brought to the attention of all relevant bodies.)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #707 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 1:44am

I make no allegation, but invite followers of this thread to see if they can detect anything familiar in the style of a comment added to a blog here - http://nhspatient.blogspot.com/2011/05/resistance-to-ban-on-use-of-084-numbers.h....

I have seen the word "bullying" applied to what are referred to as "anti-084 campaigners" previously.

Just for the record, it is only the mis-use of 084 numbers against which I campaign. Unlike other forum members, I can accept use of 084 numbers if it is possible for the level of the "service charge", and the telco's access charge to be declared openly. There are serious issues about whether this could be achieved, indeed I suspect that relatively few would wish to continue using these numbers if required to publicise the "service charge" which they impose.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #708 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 12:46pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 1:44am:
I make no allegation, but invite followers of this thread to see if they can detect anything familiar in the style of a comment added to a blog here - http://nhspatient.blogspot.com/2011/05/resistance-to-ban-on-use-of-084-numbers.h....

I have seen the word "bullying" applied to what are referred to as "anti-084 campaigners" previously.

There are more and more comments being added to the above blog. I was particularly interested in that from Anonymous "Contributor to the debate" who asked if the blog author can explain "where in the principles of the NHS it is set out that the service should be organised as to provide a hidden subsidy to large scale telecommunications providers with the patient seeing no added benefit?"

GPs have opted for a solution that uses a non-geographic number to deliver calls to their local 01/02 numbers at surgeries. So rather than calls going directly from the patient's telco to that of the surgery's landline, and the former paying the latter, they choose to have calls go from the patient's telco to the 084 provider on then on to the landline number.

These 084 numbers are therefore part of surgeries' phone systems and passing the calls to the local numbers costs the provider. With 03 numbers this cost is paid for by the party that uses the number and with 084 it is paid for by callers.

Suggesting that these charges (if they are levied to the receiver by way of a 03 number) are a "subsidy to large scale telecommunications providers" is pure fantasy!

By implication, these "large scale telecommunications providers" are those operating the non-geographic numbers and it was the surgeries' choices to opt for such solutions.

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 1:44am:
Just for the record, it is only the mis-use of 084 numbers against which I campaign. Unlike other forum members, I can accept use of 084 numbers if it is possible for the level of the "service charge", and the telco's access charge to be declared openly. There are serious issues about whether this could be achieved, indeed I suspect that relatively few would wish to continue using these numbers if required to publicise the "service charge" which they impose.

I fully agree and go by your principles set out here. Other networks members may vary.

It is important to appreciate that the abuse of 084 numbers has tarnished their standing in the minds of many as they perceive it as the numbers which are wrong and should be abolished completely. This is the sort of outcome seen in other areas and not just telecommunications.

The sheer number of users of these numbers is a testiment to the lack of declaration of any service charge and frequent quoting of one provider's atypical call rates. The former is necessary in a multi-provider system as lines must be drawn between what is the caller's (provider's) responsibility and what is the receiver's (provider's) responsibility.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #709 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 11:22am

I've just come across this Word document on the website of the Ashley Medical Centre in Bangor, Northern Ireland:

http://www.ashleymedicalcentre.co.uk/website/Z00256/files/NEG_RESPONSE_TO_DAILY_...

Its title is "NEG RESPONSE TO DAILY MAIL ARTICLE AND OTHER ANTI 084 CAMPAIGNERS"

It's linked to from the Practice Policies page (click on the Telephone System tab). It says at the end that it was last updated on 11th May 2011.

Is it referring to this Daily Mail article of 2 May 2011?:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-1721790/Millions-still-pay-premiu...

The first paragraph of the NEG statement is:
Quote:
Anti-0844 campaigners have been circulating material to surgeries claiming they will be in breach of their contract if they continue to use 084 numbers.  They simply have got their facts wrong

What is the situation in Northern Ireland with respect to use of 084 numbers? The document talks about the Department of Health which only applies to England.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 12:03pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #710 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Dave wrote on Jul 17th, 2011 at 11:22am:
I've just come across this Word document on the website of the Ashley Medical Centre in Bangor, Northern Ireland:
What is the situation in Northern Ireland with respect to use of 084 numbers? The document talks about the Department of Health which only applies to England.

This is familiar NEG material, full of factual inaccuracies. As they do not bother to identify mine, I will leave those in this document unstated.

The one exception worth mentioning is that the "relevant legislation" referred to applies neither to NEG nor to the Ashley Medical Centre! This gives a clue as to the extent to which the remainder of the document is off the point.

Last time I did a check there were very few 084 numbers used by NHS GPs in Northern Ireland. If anyone finds differently, I will be very happy to add them to my database.

A quick scan of the dhsspsni website suggests that there has been no recent revisions to the GMS contract similar to those applied in England and Wales.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #711 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:33am

Why has no PCT pointed out that a letter from NEG or other similar Companys which are NOT the Telephony Providors - they are only the System ( Hardware ) Suppliers - is NOT appropriate - The Telephone Providers in NEG case is Talk Talk - THEY are the people that set the Charges not NEG or similar - it is because the PCTs have been mis-informed from higher up  Angry

Has this been put directly to NEG and the like and IF they answered what was it and why are they lying to GPs about being the Telephont Providor

When PCTs ask for the Call Charge confirmation from GPs they should point out that a letter from NEG is NOT what is required to the PCTs request

I will answer my original Question regarding one PCT that I have been liasing with and when I informed her of all of the points that I have collected from various Threads and posts that I have found on this site regarding the mis-infomation that NEG has conned MOH and higher and she was horrified because the PCT had unwittingly passed this mis-infomation to the GPs that was passed to them

I then helped her onto this Site and relavant Sections - which she said would make very enlightened reading  

I then myself later found the Thead Titled NEG Propaganda which I will tell her of but tell her to start from about page 37 because earlier pages links dont work now and prices are out of date

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Daisy Surgery Line propaganda
Reply #712 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 8:50pm

Wye Surgery in Kent has quite recently gone over to a 0844 Business Rate number.

There is no date of change, but there is a page about the new phone system which contains links to three documents (all in PDF):

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Re: Daisy Surgery Line propaganda
Reply #713 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 4:17am

Dave wrote on Nov 9th, 2011 at 8:50pm:
Wye Surgery in Kent has quite recently gone over to a 0844 Business Rate number.

There has been extensive commentary on this story on the "Wyeweb" community web site.
See the items -

On the more general issue of factual information concerning what we must now know as DAISY Surgery Line,
after seeing the document - Enhanced Telephony - THE FACTS:
Members or readers are welcome to use any of the information and references in my published material, with or without attribution, although please take care not to do so irresponsibly. My circulation lists are extensive, but no harm need be done by possible duplication.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2011 at 6:42pm by Forum Admin »  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #714 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:38am

NEG has agreed to amend / withdraw inaccurate and misleading statements from marketing material on its website. See http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications.aspx#2

NEG Ltd t/a Network Europe Group      7 December 2011      1      Internet (on own site)      Computers and telecommunications

I note that some of its lies are still evident within one of the case studies on its website, but other case studies containing the false statements have been removed.

http://www.networkeuropegroup.com/pdf/gps/practice-managers.pdf

Patients benefit by having their calls
answered more quickly. The engaged
tone becomes rare – even at peak times -
because you are able to handle incoming
calls more efficiently, whilst patient calls
are spread out during the day. Calls to
084 or ‘lo-call’ numbers cost patients 4p
per minute, the same as the first minute
of BT’s standard call rate between 6am
and 6pm. This means that many
patients will actually pay less in total
because their call is answered and
processed more quickly. Significantly, the
cost of calls from mobiles remains
unchanged
- these account for around
30% of all calls to surgeries.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011 at 12:40am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #715 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 6:45pm

Perhaps it is time to resurrect this thread as the most appropriate place for a posting that may be of interest to viewers of "The Apprentice" and those following the threat of industrial action by doctors.

Now is perhaps the time for a businessman, who has publicly declared himself to be sickened by overblown claims and committed to the belief that command of the detail is vital, to address a simple question.

It may also be a good time for the BMA to be clear about whether it is encouraging greed by some of its members, or if they are the innocent victims of a foolish business decision.

These obtuse comments may be made clear by reading the following press release - Who is undermining the NHS - GPs or a private sector businessman? - and the open message referred to within it.

(N.B. Neither the news release nor the open message are issued in the name of the Fair Telecoms Campaign. This is of course, an issue which is currently high on the fairtelecoms agenda.)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #716 - Jul 10th, 2012 at 11:49pm

The Surgery Line / NEG Ltd response to the Ofcom Simplifying Non-geographic Numbers consultation is available at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/non-geo-numbers/response...

Including

Most importantly our product ensures that patients can access their primary care provider first time, every time, unlike the millions of patients who face the engaged tone every month when trying to get through to their doctor. Surgery Line is hugely popular amongst our GP clients and a force for good in the NHS.
[...]
We consider Surgery Line, and enhanced telephony on the whole, as a force for good in the NHS as the gateway to primary care.
[...]
Since its inception, Surgery Line has been committed to improving patient access to the NHS. Our personal experience of failing to get through our GPs drove us to provide a system which meant patients can get through every time.
[...]
Under the terms of the contract the revenue share is not a profit for GPs and is reserved purely to finance the cost of the system and any additional improvements. This is allowed under the NHS Regulations provided that “having regard to the arrangement as a whole” calls do not cost more than an equivalent local rate call. This context is vital to understanding our need to protect socially valuable services, and ensuring that these proposals do not have implications for patient access and experience in the NHS.
[...]
Essentially, Surgery Line do not want to see consumers being penalised for ringing NGN numbers or changes which result in the current G6/G11 points being priced, on the whole, at more than a geographic call.
[...]
We have significant concerns that the fear of fines and banning of services (as detailed in the existing regulatory arrangements) will deter GPs from using an ETS based on a 0844 number to improve services, despite their strong support and demand for the Surgery Line product. Furthermore, potential regulatory measures including prohibiting access and an immediate service ban are not suitable for NHS services, where patients must have continued, and uninterrupted access to primary care. Additional regulatory pressures (including potential increased data regulation responsibilities) would be inevitably passed onto GPs, and would act as a further deterrent to the take up ETS.”
[...]
We believe that an industry code alone would be the most appropriate way to regulate the market, not inclusion in the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) rules, as this may not be appropriate in its entirety.
[...]
Communicating with our customer base of over 1,000 surgeries would require an extensive educational campaign and require significant staff time to article this information. Again, this is difficult to quantify without proposals being clear.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #717 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 1:39am

It's good to see NEG repeatedly put into print the assertion that "calls [to 0844 numbers] do not cost more than an equivalent local rate call". It makes it easier to show that it's untrue.

NHS regulations require that callers pay no more to call a GP than calling a geographic 01 or 02 number using the same method (i.e. calling both from a landine or calling both from a mobile).

Mobile phone contract deals usually come with a number of inclusive minutes to 01/02/03/07 numbers.

Not taking into account the value of any text message allowances and internet access that is also bundled with many of the current deals, and assuming all of the minutes are used, contracts cost in the region of:
    *10 pounds for 50 minutes (20 pence per minute) to 100 minutes (10 pence per minute);
    *15 pounds for 100 minutes (15 pence per minute) to 200 minutes (7.5 pence per minute) to 300 minutes (5 pence per minute);
    *25 pounds for 300 minutes (8.33 pence per minute) to 400 minutes (6.25 pence per minute);
    *30 pounds for 600 minutes (5 pence per minute);
    *35 pounds for 600 minutes (5.83 pence per minute) to 900 minutes (3.89 pence per minute);
    *45 pounds for 1200 minutes (3.75 pence per minute).

These are approximate figures as each network varies their deals a little.

The inclusive minutes can be used to call 01/02/03/07 numbers. They cannot be used to call 0844 and most other types of non-geographic numbers.

If some or all of the included text message allowance and/or internet allowance is also used, the effective pence per minute rate for calling 01/02/03 numbers is even lower than the above estimates.

If only half of the inclusive minutes are used, the effective pence per minute rate for calling 01/02/03 numbers is, in the vast majority of cases, still very much less than the additional price of calling an 0844 number.

Calls to 0844 numbers cost 20.4, 25, 35, 40 or 41 pence per minute depending on the provider and the deal, and the majority charge 35 pence per minute or more.

Mobile phone 'Pay as you Go' deals are simply charged at a fixed pence per minute rate, with calls to 0844 numbers usually costing more than to 01/02/03 numbers. In some cases it is possible to purchase a larger amount of minutes for calling 01/02/03 numbers for a fixed fee. 0844 numbers are not included. Some of these plans are detailed below.

It is easy to compare the prices for 0844 numbers and for 01/02/03 numbers from the major providers either for out of bundle minutes on contract deals or for pay as you go tariffs. These can be seen below.

Three mobile contract

*01, 02 or 03 number: free in inclusive minutes; 25, 30 or 35 pence per minute out of bundle (and only 6 to 8.5 pence per minute on business plans).
    *Add-on bundles for 01/02/03 numbers: 5 pounds for 1000 minutes, 10.21 pounds for 2000 minutes.
    *0844 number: 20.4 or 35 pence per minute depending on the plan and never inclusive.

Vodafone mobile contract

*01, 02 or 03 number: free in inclusive minutes; 35 pence per minute out of bundle.
    *0844 number: 35 pence per minute and never inclusive.

Three mobile pay as you go

*01, 02 or 03 number: 26 pence per minute (even cheaper with a bundle, e.g. 100 minutes for 10 pounds, 300 minutes for 15 pounds or 500 minutes for 25 pounds).
    *0844 number: 35 pence per minute.

Vodafone mobile pay as you go

*01, 02 or 03 number: 25 pence per minute (even cheaper with a bundle, e.g. 100 minutes for 10 pounds, 200 minutes for 15 pounds, 300 minutes for 20 pounds, 500 minutes for 30 pounds).
    *0844 number: 25 pence per minute.

Orange mobile pay as you go Racoon

*01, 02 or 03 number: 12 pence per minute.
    *0844 number: 40 pence per minute.

Orange mobile pay as you go Dolphin

*01, 02 or 03 number: 25 pence per minute.
    *0844 number: 40 pence per minute.

Orange mobile pay as you go Monkey

*01, 02 or 03 number: 25 pence per minute.
    *0844 number: 35 pence per minute.

O2 mobile pay as you go

*01, 02 or 03 number: 25p a minute for the first 3 minutes a day then 5p a minute for the rest of the day.
    *0844 number: 25 pence per minute.

O2 mobile contract

*01, 02 or 03 number: free in inclusive minutes; 35 pence per minute out of bundle.
    *0844 number: 20.4 or 35 pence per minute and never inclusive.

Virgin mobile contract

*01, 02 or 03 number: free in inclusive minutes; 40 pence per minute out of bundle.
    *0844 number: 41 pence per minute and never inclusive.

Virgin mobile pay as you go

*01, 02 or 03 number: 26 pence per minute (16 pence per minute on Daily Bonus tariff).
    *0844 number: 41 pence per minute.

Virgin mobile Original pay as you go

*01, 02 or 03 number: 21p a minute for the first 5 minutes each day then 6p a minute for the rest of the day.
    *0844 number: 41 pence per minute.

Someone else may care to look at the charges from T-mobile, ASDA, Tesco, TalkMobile, etc, but they are unlikely to be much different to those listed above.

The most recent DHS guidelines at:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolic... specifically state the requirements apply equally for callers using landlines and mobile phones.

Calls to 0844 numbers usually cost more than calling 01/02/03 numbers.

0844 numbers are effectively banned for all GPs and have been since April 2010.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2012 at 9:53pm by catj »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #718 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:30am

0844 numbers are effectively banned for all GPs and have been since April 2010.

However they are still using them, certainly mine is Angry
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2012 at 8:59am by sherbert »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #719 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 5:15pm

sherbert wrote on Jul 11th, 2012 at 10:30am:
0844 numbers are effectively banned for all GPs and have been since April 2012.

However they are still using them, certainly mine is Angry
Have you contacted them since the revised/clarification use of 0844 numbers and reminded them that they are breaking DoH guidelines because it costs you more from a Virgin mobile to ring them on their 0844 than a geographical number?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge