Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GPs' 0844 numbers - The latest NEG scam (Read 14,569 times)
lompos
Supreme Member

GPs' 0844 numbers - The latest NEG scam
Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:15pm

The latest NEG scam in response to the complaint that GPs' 0844 numbers cannot be dialled from abroad is that surgeries who signed up with NEG (including mine) now also have 0870 numbers for the purpose of patients calling from abroad.  

I believe that 0870 numbers can generally be dialled from abroad.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: GPs' 0844 numbers - The latest NEG scam
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:29pm

lompos wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:15pm:
I believe that 0870 numbers can generally be dialled from abroad.

Does that mean that in the evening and weekend when it is cheaper less expensive than calling a 5p/min 0844, you can call 0870? Or if 0870 is less of a rip-off than 0844 from a mobile phone you can call 0870? Or do they know which number you've dialled and tell you to call the 0844 number.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:40pm

This is how the contact details of my GP surgery are provided:

Tel: 0844 477 8649    Out of Hours: 020 7388 5800    From Overseas: +44 870 429 9618

Fax: 0870 890 2618   Repeat Prescription Fax: 0845 299 1314  NHS Direct: 0845 46 47

I just tried ringing the 0870 number (prefixed by 141) and it does work albeit you have to listen to a message about  their alternative "lo call" 0844 number.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 12:58pm

lompos wrote on Nov 1st, 2006 at 9:40pm:
I just tried ringing the 0870 number (prefixed by 141) and it does work albeit you have to listen to a message about  their alternative "lo call" 0844 number.

What about the outrageous extra costs of calling your doctor's surgery via an 0870 number from overseas compared to an 01 or 02 number though.

For instance any Vodafone contract customer on Vodafone Passport can call a UK 01/02 number for just 75p per call and then the rest of the call is covered out of the inclusive minutes in their contract call package as long as they have minutes left that month.  But dial an 0870 number and the call costs a whopping 99p per minute at all times. Shocked

And Vodafone's latest price leaflet just published fails to make clear that 084/7 calls are excluded from the Vodafone Passport deal even though it is now made very clear following new Ofcom rules that 0870 numbers do have their own separate call tariff in the UK.

<div style=

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 2:15am

I thought the doctors surgeries are no longer allowed to use 087* numbers???

Kev

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 2:31am

trubster wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 2:15am:
I thought the doctors surgeries are no longer allowed to use 087* numbers???

Kev

Wrong they can still use them as the official number for calling from overseas.  Its only for calls in the UK they have to offer the 0844 number instead.

Read the rest of the thread.

<div style=

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 12:27pm

Sorry NGM, Why go to the hastle of getting another NGN (0870) to call from abroad??? Why cant they just give out there Geo Number???

Strange........

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:06pm

Quote:
Sorry NGM, Why go to the hastle of getting another NGN (0870) to call from abroad??? Why cant they just give out there Geo Number???

Come on Trubster! Think about it. they are guarding those geographic numbers better than the Crown jewels! Can you imagine what would happen if the geographics were published? The slimy b**** at NEG would lose their business immediately.

That's why they publish a 0870 number. Then they can claim that it is "possible" to contact a doctor from overseas.

As heartless as it sounds, I almost wish that someone would die because they couldn't contact their doctor whilst overseas, and the directors of NEG were taken to the cleaners for every last cent they own. Angry

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:08pm

trubster wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 12:27pm:

Strange........

Because then patients in the UK would also be able to call the Geo number and NEG's whole disgusting model is based on earning the maximum revenue share from doctors patients in return for the so called "free switchboard and call handling system" they they install in doctors surgeries.  NEG could put a block on calls from UK CLIs to their geographic numbers but then people can get round that by dialling 141 and withholding their number.  And they can't get round that unless they reject all withheld numbers which would be a very risky thing for a doctor's surgery (even an NEG one) to do as many calls from overseas come up as Number Withheld.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:08pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:40pm

mikeinnc wrote on Nov 10th, 2006 at 1:06pm:
As heartless as it sounds, I almost wish that someone would die because they couldn't contact their doctor whilst overseas, and the directors of NEG were taken to the cleaners for every last cent they own. Angry

I think it would be preferable though for a live patient of one of these doctor's planning to go on holiday to become deadlocked with their Patient Healthcare trust on the issue and then take this to the health service ombudsman (if there is one or failing that the Parliamentary Ombudsman) to have the matter adjudicated on.

Their complaint would be that they can't afford to have £50 of credit on their PAYG mobile on the off chance they might need to call NEG's scam line at £1 per minute.  Also if they are a Vodafone Passport customer they could point out the massive gulf between the cost of calling an 0870 number and any other UK starting 01 or 02 from overseas.

<div style=

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 3:52pm

Is there anyone here who works in a call centre that uses ISDN lines??? I used to work in a call centre with ISDN Lines and they show up the geo number when calling 0870 etc... including 118 numbers!!!

We should try and find someone in that position and get a huge database and make more people aware of this website then do a 'Say No To 0870 Day' I know it has already been suggested, but if we could get some publicity in our local areas, then arrange a date and I think people will realise how much of a con these numbers are...

Kev

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge