Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Farepack administrator uses 0870 (Read 20,069 times)
Keith

Surrey
Farepack administrator uses 0870
Nov 7th, 2006 at 5:49pm

I vaguely feel I've seen this already, but feeling sorry for the fairpack customers and also not understanding how a company that is simply collecting funds on behalf of low income people went  bust i thought I would look it up on the internet only to be shocked that to phone the administrators you have to use an 0870 number.

Disgrace.

~ Thread title amended by Dave
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2006 at 2:23pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Farepack
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 6:04pm

The address and fax lead back to The Insolvency Service, a government organisation. Geographical contact numbers for offices are on that website.
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2006 at 6:14pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: The Insolvancy Service (Farepak)
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 6:44pm

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: The Insolvancy Service (Farepak)
Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 8:06pm

Dave wrote on Nov 7th, 2006 at 6:44pm:

This Farepak Response Fund is operated by Family Fund, a registered charity. They have provided an 0845 number for contact.

IP Logged

buzbee

Farepak administrator denies profiting using 0870
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:55am

Article in todays Sunday Observer.

"MPS have slated Farepak administrator BDO Stoy Hayward for setting up an expensive premium-rate telephone information line for victims of the collapsed Christmas savings company.
BDO Stoy Hayward will itself receive a portion of the money earned from the 0870 telephone line, which charges 8p per minute during peak hours, 5p per minute in the evening, and 3p per minute at weekends.

The accountancy firm says this is intended to cover the costs of handling compensation claims from up to 150,000 Farepak savers, and strongly denies it is profiting at the victims' expense."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956915,00.html
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:59am by buzbee »  

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Re: Farepak administrator denies profiting using 0
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:56pm

buzbee wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:55am:
Article in todays Sunday Observer.

"MPS have slated Farepak administrator BDO Stoy Hayward for setting up an expensive premium-rate telephone information line for victims of the collapsed Christmas savings company.
BDO Stoy Hayward will itself receive a portion of the money earned from the 0870 telephone line, which charges 8p per minute during peak hours, 5p per minute in the evening, and 3p per minute at weekends.

The accountancy firm says this is intended to cover the costs of handling compensation claims from up to 150,000 Farepak savers, and strongly denies it is profiting at the victims' expense."

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956915,00.html

On page 2:

A spokeswoman for the National Consumer Council said: 'There are a lot of clever people at BDO Stoy Hayward. You would think they could organise something that wouldn't penalise the poor claimants.' Ofcom has also expressed concern about 0870 numbers. A spokesman for the telecoms regulator said: 'The problem is that consumers sometimes think they will be charged the same as for a national phone call.'

I wonder how consumers got THAT impression?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:22pm

farci wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:56pm:
A spokeswoman for the National Consumer Council said: 'There are a lot of clever people at BDO Stoy Hayward. You would think they could organise something that wouldn't penalise the poor claimants.' Ofcom has also expressed concern about 0870 numbers. A spokesman for the telecoms regulator said: 'The problem is that consumers sometimes think they will be charged the same as for a national phone call.'

..or why they (Ofcom) wont do anything to stop this misleading of claimants/consumers.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:22pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:42pm

The administrators themselves have an 0870 to contact them so I guess it was enevitable to use an 0870 for needing to make a claim to them.

Check out their 'Contact Us' page.

I suggest we email them.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 2:45pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:42pm:
The administrators themselves have an 0870 to contact them so I guess it was enevitable to use an 0870 for needing to make a claim to them.

Check out their 'Contact Us' page.

But under Locations they list the geographicals for all offices.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Farepack administrator uses 0870
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 4:29pm

BDO's Reading office is at the same address as the Government's Insolvency service. The Kings Wharf, Reading address is given on the Farepak website. So the alternative to the 0870 could be the Reading BDO office which is 0118 925 4400. I suggest that we list this as an alternative for people to call.

The fax number quoted on the Farepak website is 01793 606057 and appears very similar to Farepak's switchboard number which is 01793 606000 and is listed in the Say no to 0870 database. I therefore assume that the fax is at Farepak's office.

I have listed the Reading office number in the database as an alternative to BDO's 0870.

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:05pm

I notice that the line is administered by Opal Telecom, part of the Carphone Warehouse, who are no strangers to the 0870 number.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:18pm

jimjim wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:05pm:
I notice that the line is administered by Opal Telecom, part of the Carphone Warehouse, who are no strangers to the 0870 number.

Or to 'creative' ways to squeeze more out of punters!
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2006 at 5:19pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 7:50pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 1:22pm:
farci wrote on Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:56pm:

..or why they (Ofcom) wont do anything to stop this misleading of claimants/consumers.

Off topic on Farepak but relevant to BBB's comment.

I recently had a belated reply to my letter to MEPs concerning Ofcom's obligations under the EU Universal Service Directive as it relates to the provision of pricing information. See this thread http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1157980303/15#15.

Viviane Reding, European Information Commissioner told my MEP that:

"...It is fundamentally the role of the National Regulatory Authorities in each member state to ensure the obligation...is implemented..." MEP Davd Martin comments this responsibility is for MPs at Wetsminster, although Commissioner Reding "would..appreciate to stay informed". In other words, any complaints that Ofcom is not doing its job must be routed through Westminster.

This is an official opinionandn could prove grounds for further action through parliamentary questions. I have no confidence that my MP would give a damn. So, would anybody on this forum like to have copies of my correspondence to take this further through a sympathetic MP?

If so, PM me or post a comment

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
BDO Stoy Hayward: 0800 for Dixon Motors' customers
Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 2:17pm

Dixon Motors has gone into administration and the administrators, BDO Stoy Hayward, have issued a freephone number for customers. It is 0800 612 1340. Is this a turnaround?

More from BBC News here.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge