Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Spare a thought for UK businesses… (Read 108,711 times)
acezing

Re: Spare a thought for UK businesses…
Reply #15 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:10pm

acezing wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 3:24pm:
This is nothing but SPAM by the back door. Why is it being allowed?

Clearly if it suits the mod its ok to keep plastering links that lead to ngn suppliers. 7 links in this thread alone? Which conveniently brings up their Google Ad at top of page!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:14pm by acezing »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #16 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:51pm

I employed a landscape gardener when I moved into my new bungalow - to do the 'hard landscaping' I think it's called.

He was a one man band.

He had an 0800 number.

Why is it that UK companies which employ hundreds or even thousands don't have 0800 numbers too (like they do in the States)?

Sorry, I'll answer the question myself to save others the bother.

Greed!
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:52pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

0870advice.com

Reply #17 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:52pm

Hi BBB_UK,

Still a slight mis-understanding.  Obviously, I agree with what you're saying regarding OCPs and I bet you're as worried as we are about the potential 'mis-use' of the network level message on 0870 calls post Feb 2008...

I was trying to explain that we have no influence on making our clients promote an 0845 number to their consumers at 3.95ppm - ie on a brochure or website or advert - call XXX company on 0845 123 4567 (call costs 3.95ppm) - as they would have to do with Premium Rate.  This should be down to Ofcom to potentially enforce.

I think what we're highlighting here is that this is a very complex area and we have done our best to inform our clients and now the wider business 0870 users of what the Ofcom proposals actually mean and what viable options they have going forward.

Maybe there's a need to do something similar (from an independent stand point) for the consumer - ie 'NTStransparency.com' or 'therealcostof08xx.com' or whatever ?  Maybe it's even something we could work on together... ?

Anyway, it's great to see consumers actually effect change and congratulations on the site and all you've achieved.

All the best,
0870Advice

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:57pm

acezing wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:10pm:
Clearly if it suits the mod its ok to keep plastering links that lead to ngn suppliers. 7 links in this thread alone? Which conveniently brings up their Google Ad at top of page!!!
It's very difficult to have a conversation about these NTS numbers without, as in this case, mentioning a website or company that use or sell them.  The google Adsense is not picking up on the website I've mentioned, it's the fact that I've had to mention 'NTS' 0845, etc in this thread.

As I said, it's difficult to have a conversation without mentioning these numbers and it is this and anything else that is discussed that Google AdSense works.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:02pm

Heinz wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:51pm:
Why is it that UK companies which employ hundreds or even thousands don't have 0800 numbers too (like they do in the States)?
It is extremely common to have freephone numbers in the states and companies like BA use freephone in the states but 0870 here in the UK!!?!?

I believe its because its become the "norm" to have an NTS (mostly 0870) number in this country especially as the government themselves use them!

I have no idea of the cost difference of running a freephone in the UK compared to the states.  It could be a lot more expensive to run a freephone in the UK compared to the states which is inkeeping with us being in ROB (Rip Off Britain).

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #20 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:08pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:02pm:
I have no idea of the cost difference of running a freephone in the UK compared to the states.  It could be a lot more expensive to run a freephone in the UK compared to the states which is inkeeping with us being in ROB (Rip Off Britain).

But, as I said, if a one man band can afford it .........

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #21 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:08pm

0870advice.com wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:52pm:
I was trying to explain that we have no influence on making our clients promote an 0845 number to their consumers at 3.95ppm - ie on a brochure or website or advert - call XXX company on 0845 123 4567 (call costs 3.95ppm) - as they would have to do with Premium Rate.  This should be down to Ofcom to potentially enforce.
I totally agree you have no control over this but I was referring to the fact that you mislead your own customers (businesses) by stating 0845 is local rate and 0870 is national rate.  You are clearly aware that you are misleading your customers and this could be brought to the attention of your local trading standards for misleading potential customers.  When I say 'local' or 'national' rate I don't just mean stating the cost I was talking about the misleading use of the two phrases, 'local and 'national'.  Both these phrases, by definition, could easily imply that 0845 costs the exact same as a real/geographical local number and that 087x costs the same as a real/geographical national number but I know you are aware that there are differences in prices.

This is why so many consumers are still confused simply because of the continuing misleading description of 'local' rate and 'national' rate.

Many years ago 0845 was local rate (and cost the same as a local geographical call) and 0870 was national rate (and cost the same as a national geographical call) but this changed two years ago due to competition, etc but yet CPs still misleadingly continue with these two phrases despite the fact it's not true at all and hasn't been for 2 years.

I'm sure the ASA ruled that a CP couldn't mention that 0845 was local rate and 0870 was national rate, etc.  Does anyone still have this link by any chance?
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:14pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:16pm

As I said in a thread earlier on today, I am very concerned that people are being sidetracked about the cost of ngn calls being PUBLICISED.   I KNOW they are more expensive & not included in my call package BUT THAT DOESN'T HELP ME WHEN I HAVE TO CALL THEM!   What I want is a legal compulsion on ALL users of ngns to provide a geographical alternative that IS included in my call package.   I don't care if this causes the organisation problems or if I have to hold for longer or call back  or whatever because at least it won't cost me anything!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #23 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:18pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 2:13pm:
This regulation came into force about 3 months ago now but yet hardly any OCP has actually complied with it - not even BT - simply because OCPs don't want us consumers knowing just how much these calls actually cost and that in most cases they're not included in any inclusive tariffs we may have.

This was discussed more in this thread which I think clearly shows how far OCPs will go to continue to mislead their customers and rob them blind.

Presumably this is because of the recognition that Ofcom is an utterly incompetent and/or more likely utterly corrupt toothless tiger who will never ever fine a good old business bro of Stephen Carter or David Currie in the telco industry when it would be easier just to let down the general public again content in the knowledge that nobody can ever fire the useless board directors or their other complacent 2nd level named but not actual "director" henchmen all earning in excess of £100,000 per annum total salary package. Angry Angry Angry

I suspect this could be a good issue to go to one's MP over asking for a complaint to be referred to the Parliamentary Ombudsman.

<div style=

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #24 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:19pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:57pm:
acezing wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:10pm:
It's very difficult to have a conversation about these NTS numbers without, as in this case, mentioning a website or company that use or sell them.  The google Adsense is not picking up on the website I've mentioned, it's the fact that I've had to mention 'NTS' 0845, etc in this thread.

As I said, it's difficult to have a conversation without mentioning these numbers and it is this and anything else that is discussed that Google AdSense works.

You could remove the links,could you not.

IP Logged

acezing

Reply #25 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:23pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:08pm:
I'm sure the ASA ruled that a CP couldn't mention that 0845 was local rate and 0870 was national rate, etc.  Does anyone still have this link by any chance?

See the Artiste Smiley formerly known as NGM recent post in this thread.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1163008795

~ Quote box tidied up by Dave
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 8:55pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:25pm

Barbara wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:16pm:
I KNOW they are more expensive & not included in my call package BUT THAT DOESN'T HELP ME WHEN I HAVE TO CALL THEM!   What I want is a legal compulsion on ALL users of ngns to provide a geographical alternative that IS included in my call package.!

Mr Matt Peacock, Communications Director of Ofcom, gave an unequivocal public commitment on a BBC Radio 4 You & Yours program two years ago that Ofcom would at the very least force businesses with 084/7 numbers to publish a geographic alternative number.

Unfortunately like most commitments on this matter by Ofcom personnel Mr Peacock's commitment has not been honoured and has been proven to be utterly worthless.  Perhaps though the commitment given at that time was just a matter of public display though? Wink

You have to face it Barbara that Ofcom have clearly received instructions from on high in the New Labour apparatus to keep this scam going so as not to destroy the valuable teelcoms businesses of various important New Labour friends.

The fact that they now select 0370 for the geographically priced non geographic number range goes to show just how throughly they deliberately try to mislead the public over the cost of the number they are likely to be calling.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:28pm

Heinz wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 4:51pm:

There are some American companies operating in the UK who do deploy the same telecoms strategy as they use back home across all their telephone contact numbers.  MBNA use 0800 numbers for all forms of customer contact. Smiley

See www.mbna.co.uk/contact/index.html
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:29pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #28 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:33pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:02pm:
I believe its because its become the "norm" to have an NTS (mostly 0870) number in this country especially as the government themselves use them!

Its not because 0870 is the norm so much as because its hidden and these scam lines aren't forced on to Premium 09 and made to state the revenue share they earn per minute to callers.

I would imagine having an 800 number in the USA doesn't require you to pay much more than the cost of making a normal geographic phone call.

Ofcom and their predecessor OFTEL are entirely to blame for the organised Mafia like scamming that pervades the whole 084/7 NGN Industry.  Well them and New Labour and New Labour Cronies in business who are behind the whole sordid industry.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #29 - Nov 9th, 2006 at 5:41pm

0870advice.com wrote on Nov 9th, 2006 at 8:45am:
So… who actually benefits from these Ofcom proposals ?

Both companies like yours that sell the numbers and take part of the revenue share and the scam UK businesses who run these numbers and will continue to be able to earn hidden premium rate revenue share regulated by ICSTIS bit incredibly no longer presented to the public as or called Premium Rate.  Or just carry on without control at all on 0844 at 5p per minute at all times as scammers NEG have done with all the doctors surgeries practice managers they have encouraged to ripoff their patients.

The Ofcom proposals are deliberately and cynically intended to be seen to be doing something about 0870 whilst Ofcom knows full well that all the scams on 0870 will simply transfer to 0844 or 0871 at 5p or 10p per minute.  The only exception will be the BBC and major government agency contact centres who will find moving to 0871 politically unacceptable.

If you really objected to this whole scam you wouldn't have been selling it and earning your living from it and instead would have been finding a way to keep all your telecoms customers on PSTN 01/02 or Voip based 01/02 Geographic Numbers (which do exist as www.sipgate.co.uk shows).

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge