Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Folkestone & Dover Water (Read 9,361 times)
Victors_Bruvver

Folkestone & Dover Water
Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Am I correct in assuming that FDWS have got it wrong in their reply to me when I enquired about how much they "make" on the use of 0845 numbers? I have copied the reply here;

Dear Mr XXXXx

I am sorry it has taken me a while to respond but I am assured that we do not recover any monies from the use of the 0845 number.  The number ensures that our customers are charged with a local call charge only -it is not a premium number as 0870.  

If you require any further information, please let me know and I will endeavour to obtain this for you

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Folkestone & Dover Water
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:39pm

Victors_Bruvver wrote on Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:32pm:
Am I correct in assuming that FDWS have got it wrong in their reply to me when I enquired about how much they "make" on the use of 0845 numbers?

Whilst you may get the impression that 084/087 numbers are revenue generators for the company being called, this is not always the case. The point is that you, the caller, pay more than a normal geographical call rate. The telco providing the 0844/0845/0870/0871 is not forced to share any of the revenue. They usually (at least) provide services in kind.

Please explain to this person that the vast majority of people will now pay more to call FDWS than on their 01303 numbers. Local and national rate geographical calls don't exist (except for a small minority), and where they don't, 0845s usually cost more than geographicals.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:40pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Victors_Bruvver

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 5:56pm

Dave thanks for putting me straight on this.

Yes, I was under the impression that all users of 0845 numbers were like 0870 numbers and that they all received a rake off from their telco provider. I have had a conversation of sorts with their customer service department on the use of the 0845 number, even to report a leak, and their excuse was the usual "it's only local rate call charge" which we all know to be a misnomer, to say the least.

Since moving to Folkestone and ending up with a truly local water company (the last was a large regional one, Anglian) I found it crazy to see that FDWS were using a NGN for the size of an area they serve which I estimate to be, what a third or less of the whole of the county?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 7:48pm

The point to get across is that YOU (the customer) have to pay more for your call to THEM (the service provider) because, instead of an 01 number to which you could make a weekday call of unlimited duration for a flat rate of 4p (via 18185 or 1899), you have to pay 3p connection and 3p per minute to call their 0845 number.

In any case, if they want to ensure that 'customers are charged with a local call charge only' (even though 'local call charge' has been a meaningless phrase since 1/7/2004), they could just revert to using ..... er ..... a local number!
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2006 at 8:35pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

brian47

Folkestone & Dover Water
Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 5:40pm

I just received this reply from FDWS and I was wondering if anyone would comment on what they say is true or not regarding their use of the 0845 number. It infuriates me when I live about a mile away from their office and on the same exchange and they have the gall to tell me it is a local number.

With regard to our telephone number I can confirm that this is charged at a local rate (to all customers within our supply area not just these within the Folkestone area code) and we are not permitted to obtain revenue from this.  If you would prefer, you may use our credit control telephone number (Monday to Friday 8.30-5.00) of 01303 298850 and request that they transfer you to the relevant department.  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 6:14pm

I'd recommend you inform them that the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) advise against the use of such descriptions because it is misleading.

See Useful Links & References for the ASA links and I recommend you provide the links to them.

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2007 at 6:15pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2007 at 10:26pm

brian47 wrote on Jun 13th, 2007 at 5:40pm:
I just received this reply from FDWS and I was wondering if anyone would comment on what they say is true or not regarding their use of the 0845 number. It infuriates me when I live about a mile away from their office and on the same exchange and they have the gall to tell me it is a local number.
They are liars, stupid or both. Let them know the facts.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge