Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TV licenscing (Read 17,360 times)
Keith

Surrey
TV licenscing
Nov 17th, 2006 at 9:55am

Just got a letter trying to get me to move to direct debit. No discount for doing so and an 0870 number to call to do it.

So to make life easy for them we pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also see an 0870 number is given for those who need to get discount for being blind or old or you are moving. Cynical!

Note alternative is available here but it isn't for the number given (0870 850 0218) of for the deaf 0870 575 8604 (let's exploit another disadvantaged group)

IP Logged

Anti-0870

Re: TV licenscing
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 4:58pm

These was the only two numbers I found from tv licensing.biz but think they are from here.

0800 551 550

0800 328 2020

If you are really fed up with the rip-off tv licence, then visit these forum's Smiley

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/phpBB2/index.php

And

http://tvlr.co.nr/

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 9:18pm

I don't have a problem with the TV licence and have no intention of taking out a DD a) because there is no financial benefit and b) because they use 0870. My point really was just highlighting another example of explotation by using the 0870 number and in particular picking on groups that can least afford it or are disadvantaged (blind and elderly) both of which are also less likely to know about or be able to access this web site for an alternative number.

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:22pm

Keith wrote on Nov 18th, 2006 at 9:18pm:
I don't have a problem with the TV licence and have no intention of taking out a DD a) because there is no financial benefit and b) because they use 0870. My point really was just highlighting another example of explotation by using the 0870 number and in particular picking on groups that can least afford it or are disadvantaged (blind and elderly) both of which are also less likely to know about or be able to access this web site for an alternative number.

I agree 100%, it is 1 of the very few services you can not refuse to pay for because they use an 0870 number, do it online and email them, asking them to call you.

I think it is silly, I pay £70 per month to telewest for my 2 tv boxes and broadband+phone, I then pay £130+ to tv licencing... its all a big con

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:53pm

trubster wrote on Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:22pm:
I agree 100%, it is 1 of the very few services you can not refuse to pay for because they use an 0870 number, do it online and email them, asking them to call you.

I think it is silly, I pay £70 per month to telewest for my 2 tv boxes and broadband+phone, I then pay £130+ to tv licencing... its all a big con

A TV Licence at £130 a year is about £11 per month.

Your two Telewest boxes cost £840 per year! The TV Licence is a drop in the ocean compared to your cable TV.

Sky costs £30 or £40 per month, that's £360 to £480 per year and for that you have to sit through adverts. Was it not Sky that started with three commercial breaks every hour before ITV and Channel 4 did?

The BBC has no adverts and you can have as many TVs as you like. With Sky or cable you need to buy another box/subscription.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 4:02pm

But I have to pay for ITV and C4, whether or not I watch them, because many purchases have their prices at a level to cover the advertising.

Suddenly the (even ill-run) beeb seems excellent value.

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 6:04pm

Dave wrote on Nov 19th, 2006 at 1:53pm:

A TV Licence at £130 a year is about £11 per month.

Your two Telewest boxes cost £840 per year! The TV Licence is a drop in the ocean compared to your cable TV.

Sky costs £30 or £40 per month, that's £360 to £480 per year and for that you have to sit through adverts. Was it not Sky that started with three commercial breaks every hour before ITV and Channel 4 did?

The BBC has no adverts and you can have as many TVs as you like. With Sky or cable you need to buy another box/subscription.

Sorry, my post was a bit misleading, I pay £27.50 for the 2 tv boxes on the top package... pretty good deal, but then I have a bundle with bb and phone... I have a TVDrive (Better than sky+) and I always fast forward all adverts Cheesy

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 8:21pm

Was it not Sky that started with three commercial breaks every hour before ITV and Channel 4 did?
It was yes.  They (Sky) said they were just following EU counterparts or something.

Given a choice between paying BBC or them being funded by adverts then I prefer adverts so I can spend money on other more important things because personally I rarely watch BBC.

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:44pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 19th, 2006 at 8:21pm:
Was it not Sky that started with three commercial breaks every hour before ITV and Channel 4 did?
It was yes.  They (Sky) said they were just following EU counterparts or something.

Given a choice between paying BBC or them being funded by adverts then I prefer adverts so I can spend money on other more important things because personally I rarely watch BBC.

And when you are watching channels other than bbc, just fastforward adverts Cheesy

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2006 at 10:59pm

I think I'll go out and come in again !  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

The reason I brought up the subject of adverts and Sky is because you pay a subscription to certain channels like Sky One, and then they go and show adverts! It has nothing to do with the BBC showing adverts (if the licence fee were to be dropped).

You pay the BBC far less than you pay Sky for certain subscription channels like Sky One, yet it still needs to show adverts to generate more revenue! Is this not less value for money?

By the same logic, if the BBC were to ditch the licence fee in return for showing adverts, it would presumably need to show more adverts than Sky, due to Sky's 'fee'.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:37am

The TV Licence is a drop in the ocean compared to your cable TV.

The difference is, you make a choice to pay for cable, the choice is made for you re the licence fee, (whether you watch the BBC or not), under penalty of a criminal prosecution. The licence fee should be abolished and the BBC made a fully commercial,( it is part commercial now as it sells prorammes all over the world), business and join the real world.

IP Logged

trubster

Sheffield
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 12:38pm

derrick wrote on Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:37am:

The difference is, you make a choice to pay for cable, the choice is made for you re the licence fee, (whether you watch the BBC or not), under penalty of a criminal prosecution. The licence fee should be abolished and the BBC made a fully commercial,( it is part commercial now as it sells prorammes all over the world), business and join the real world.

I agree 100% with that!!! And as I said, I would not watch adverts anyway (Just fast forward them Cheesy)

TV Licences are going up again next year Sad

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 4:35pm

TV Licences are going up again next year  Sad

And they will go up every year until,(if), they abolish it.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 4:44pm

derrick wrote on Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:37am:
The licence fee should be abolished and the BBC made a fully commercial,( it is part commercial now as it sells prorammes all over the world), business and join the real world.

The BBC should be funded out of general taxation revenue because then those with the lowest income would not face a regressive tax that is hugely disproportionate to their total income.

The current license fee collection apparatus must cost a huge amount to administer and enforce and the only reason it doesn't seem to be abolished in favour of a general taxation fee levy is that the BBC fears it would then lose its financial independence from the government.

The BBC should not be forced to take advertising as then its programming would become as shoddy as most of that on the commercial tv channels.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 6:10pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 20th, 2006 at 4:44pm:
The BBC should not be forced to take advertising as then its programming would become as shoddy as most of that on the commercial tv channels.
Weird, as I think their programming is just the same as commercial TV channels.  I and everyone I know very rarely watch it except for Eastenders.

A general taxation depending on income would probably not help much same as the rules now governing income tax as it always seems to be the 'normal' people that are worse off with tax increases because the government seems too afraid to increase the tax on those very high earners (probably because they contribute to their party  Wink ).

BBC already has adverts for which they don't have to abide by ASA guidelines so having them funded by advertising I assume would also mean their adverts would then come under the remit of the ASA.

Sky costs £30 or £40 per month, that's £360 to £480 per year and for that you have to sit through adverts
Sky can cost less (depending on channels chosen).  It's unfair to compare BBC TV licence fee to the monthly cost of Sky simply because with the license fee you have no choice to pay it (as mentioned earlier) and that BBC only have a few channels whereas Sky have a lot more channels albeit most of them you probably don't watch but the same could be said of the other few BBC channels there are.

Don't get me wrong, I know Sky are expensive but as they have a monopoly they can pretty much do what they like (and have done so).

For example, I pay £20 odd pound a month for all the channels except premium but yet just the few BBC channels on their own cost £11 for the license fee.  I realise Sky have adverts some of the shows on Sky's channels cost them an arm and a leg like 24, etc whereas I don't believe BBC have anything worth watching - including Eastenders (I'll be in trouble for saying that  Wink )

Out of the terrestrial channels, I watch channel 5 then ITV more than I watch any BBC channel.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2006 at 6:30pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge