Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ofcom Proposes Cosy Sky Deal on Conditional Access (Read 4,383 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Ofcom Proposes Cosy Sky Deal on Conditional Access
Nov 23rd, 2006 at 1:14pm

Good old Ofcom.

Whilst they think the poor old NGN number vendors and call centre operators need at least 21 months to adjust to the loss of the 0870 revenue share ripoff they have now decided Sky can be granted a special one off exemption to notify broadcasters of changes to their charges for "Conditional Access" (encrypting pay, FTA and FTV channels on Sky) 1 day after they have made the changes instead of 90 days before they make them - this all seems to be so Sky can slide through a new round of increases before a new set of rules take place on 1st Jan 2007.  Talk about one rule for Ofcom's chronies and another rule for everybody else. Wink Shocked Cry Angry Angry Angry Angry

See www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/accesscharges/statement/

Ofcom always gives the pathetic excuse on its failure to take proper action on 084/7 that the Communications Act 2003 and its terms of reference did not let it stop the whole scam in its tracks.  The reality as we have seen with their draconian and unnecessary ban on advertsing so called "junk food" in childrens tv programs is that Ofcom has the power to do absolutely anything it wants and what it wants to do is what its New Labour masters who approve its choice of CEO tell it to do. Roll Eyes Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 1:16pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: Ofcom Proposes Cosy Sky Deal on Conditional Ac
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:55pm

I remember quickly scanning through Ofcom's response to their consultation on CA (Conditional Access) and I get the impression that in most cases come January 2007, some of the expensive rates that Sky charge these TV channels are likely to be reduced.  I actually read that Sky when they advertise their product, can claim some of the cost involved in making/showing the adverts back from tv channels themselves simply because these channels could also gain more viewers.  Personally, I think Sky's adverts about its products are advertised purely for their own use to get more customers and not so much for the TV channels as well but the channel owners are still nontheless expected to contribute towards Sky's cost of making/showing the adverts.

Don't you just love how fair Ofcom is?   Wink

Anyhow back to the thread, going by the responses by ITV and Five, they both agreed that on this occasion it would be ok for Sky to announce their new prices (I assume they hope it will be cheaper for them) that take effect on January 2007.

Actually, when I first read that consultation when it was out, it was worded to me at least, that Sky could at any time in the future change prices without any kind of advance notice like the 90 days they have to give now.  Looking at the response from Five, they also picked up on this and queried this with Ofcom so now Sky have been given the all-clear on their new (and I'm guessing meant to be fairer) prices to begin from January 2007.  All other price changes after this date, is again subject to 90 days notice (which wasn't clear in Ofcom's original consultation wording).

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:55pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Ofcom Proposes Cosy Sky Deal on Conditional Ac
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 7:06pm

I couldn't bring myself to read the consultation and I suppose there would have to be some reason why everyone was apparently happy for the usual 90 days advance notice to be dispensed with.  But remember what happened to BT call prices and line rental after Ofcom ceased controlling them on the basis that it would mean cheaper call prices for UK consumers!  Wink Roll Eyes Cry Cry Cry

Actually I can't see why the BBC or ITV would even have a view on this issue since they no longer use Sky's conditional access facilities any more.  I suppose there is always a possibility they might do again at some point down the road.

But the very fact that zero days notice can be accepted tells me that 084/7 revenue sharing could have been ended on 6 months notice if Ofcom had wanted it to (giving the scammers the choice to move to 09 ranges i they still wanted to revenue share) and the only reason it didn't happen is because Ofcom and its telco chronies didn't want it to happen.

This all depends on Ofcom's special English dictionary with its own unique interpretation of the interests of uk citizens and uk consumers. Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge