SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Poll Poll
Question: Would you choose PCWorld over ebuyer

« Last Modified by: trubster on: Nov 27th, 2006 at 1:00am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
E-Mail sent to E-Buyer (Read 29,088 times)
trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
E-Mail sent to E-Buyer
Nov 24th, 2006 at 10:21pm

I got fed up of ringing them up and getting the usual "We dont have a geographical number" or "Whats That"... THEY WORK FOR AN ELECTRICAL GOODS COMPANY AND DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT A GEO NUMBER IS!!!!!!!!

So I sent a nice email, thanks to the pre-typed one but made a few alterations and sent it to them... hopefully they will respond, but I mean what I said, I would rather pay PC World's extortionate prices to have someone I can speak to for free over the counter...

Quote:
Dear Sir(s),

Your Contact Number

Lately there has been a lot of newspaper articles and news items on TV about companies such as yourself that use numbers beginning 084x/087x.

In most cases a company using such numbers actually earns a revenue from each minute that us consumers are on the phone to you.  This revenue you receive varies depending on the number but can be up to around 4p/min (higher in some high usage cases).

These numbers are commonly misleadingly advertised as 'local' or 'national' rate and Ofcom, the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) and Trading Standards have agreed that describing any number beginning 084x/087x as either 'local rate' or 'national rate' is misleading. The reason is that the cost of the calling these numbers varies and in most cases costs more than a normal geographical (those beginning 01 or 02) calls.  In fact, it can cost anywhere up to 40p/min (on some mobile networks) to ring these numbers.

The newspaper articles about the use of these numbers are available in the following links:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5405620.stm
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2389087,00.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=4086 60&in_page_id=1770
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005300000-2006460369,,00.html
and a BBC news video:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/nolavconsole/ukfs_news/hi?redirect=st.s tm&news=1&bbram=1&bbwm=1&nbram=1&nbwm=1&nol_storyid=5410232

I would hereby like to make a complaint about your number, 0871 521 33 00, and the fact that you are most likely are receiving revenue from us calling on these expensive numbers as mentioned in the above newspaper/TV articles. I would also like to make it clear that I will not be purchasing anything from yourselves and I will recommend my friends and family to do the same until you stop using this premium rate number...

Looking at your call stats, it states yesterday the longest wait was 12 minutes, If I had called from a mobile, through the day it would cost me £4.80 just to be put through to an adviser, then only to be put on hold again. I do not understand why you can’t put your geographical number on your website for customers like myself, who would rather pay extortionate prices at PC World than pay extortionate prices to listen to music for 12 minutes... and pay nearly £5 for the privilege!!!

Due to continuing use of these numbers, Ofcom has announced that a new number range beginning 03x should be available from January/February 2007.  This new number range will offer the exact same facilities/network features like IVR (Interactive Voice Response), Intelligent Call Routings, etc that are available now on existing 084x/087x numbers EXCEPT these new numbers will not cost us consumers anymore money than a normal geographical call and will actually be free for us consumers that have inclusive call plans (the existing 084x/087x numbers in most cases isn't included in any plans).

I would also like to ask for your procedures for starting an internal review into the extortionate use of these numbers

Yours faithfully

Edited:
Forgot to remove name + address Cheesy
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2006 at 10:23pm by trubster »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: E-Mail sent to E-Buyer
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 12:47pm

Well in my field, I use multiple suppliers but have to say mainly Ebuyer because they are generally cheap.

It really depends on how cheap they are compared to any nearby competitors.  If its a small amount then I would choose another supplier for piece of mind but depending on item, the difference can sometimes be a lot.

Saying that, I've just bought the new Belkin wireless N router for £104 from PC World as they were doing an introductory offer and they were the cheapest when I did my search.  Ebuyer was £108.

You could add another option, "Depending on price difference of item(s)"
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2006 at 12:49pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:37pm

Hi trubster,
Do you have the email address for ebuyer, as I can't find it on the web.

KK

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:31am

kk wrote on Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:37pm:
Hi trubster,

They have a live online chat facility via the website which is free during opening hours but when they are closed you can then send them an email instead using their contact form:-

www.ebuyer.com/customer/enotes2/index.html?rb=23320736553&action=Tm90ZUZyb250&_L...

So there do seem to be ways to contact Ebuyer without having to use the 0871 number.  But as to why they offer the live chat facility online free of charge but try to charge 10p per minute to call them on the phone I far from clear - it certainly doesn't seem logically consistent.

As to the Poll on this site I would not buy from PC World instead as they are total cowboys.  Wherever possible I would instead try to buy the product on the high street from either Maplins or Staples, who both stock a large range of PC related goods, or online from another supplier whom it was possible to contact via a geographic number, even if only a geographic number published on this website.

This is the direct link to the form to email EBuyer when they are closed:-

http://c17.chatsupportlive.com/message_box.php?theme=&l=ebuyeruk&x=90&deptid=187
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:34am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

trubster

10 Meg Broadband Rocks...

Sheffield
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 12:58am

kk wrote on Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:37pm:
Hi trubster,

complaints@ebuyer.com

I also sent the email through there website in case they did not recieve it

IP Logged

redant

e-buyer
Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 8:12pm

Just noticed that e-buyer have changed their contact number from 0870 to 0872 111 222.  I'm sure rate won't have gone down but 0872 is a new one on me! Any ideas what price 0872 is charged at?

IP Logged

redant

Re: e-buyer
Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 8:21pm

Sorry, appears I may have made an error re the above-the product & sales advice line is 0872, general enquiries remains at 0871 5213300.  Still, it's the first time I have encountered an 0872 number.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:14am

You are correct, the 0872 number is for sales at ebuyer, and - surprise surprise! - is charged at 10ppm. Just shows how greedy ebuyer are when it comes to their telephone numbers (considering I know of other suppliers like ebuyer that have geographic numbers!)

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:21am

Oh, I don't know if this helps at all, but Howden's dialling code is 01430, so I did a search of ebuyer+01430 in Google and got this result. However, it is possible that that number is actually the home phone number of the person associated with ebuyer FC (since the area of the given address also shares the 01430 dialling code). However, nothing to say that dialling around that range wouldn't hurt Smiley.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2008 at 12:25am by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 1:23pm

0872 and 0873 are extensions of 0871 and 0843 is an extension of 0844. This is because all the numbers in 0844/0871 are nearly allocated to telcos.

IP Logged

Mr_Snuggles

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Cheaper than the men with moustaches.. ooohh Dorothy Shocked

EBUYER    01430 433605

IP Logged

echo734

Investigator

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Hello
This what I gleaned from a website called Made in China. This is their grammar and spelling, not mine.
"We are the biggest the electronics product retailer in UK. We sold 10k order a day. We are currently looking for full range of home entertainment product. We need Blu-ray player, DVD player, Hi-Fi speakers, home theatre etcs.
Company Name: Ebuyer UK Ltd
Company address: Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Thought this might help potential buyers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge