Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do I advertise with 0800 or 01 ? (Read 10,874 times)
principal

Do I advertise with 0800 or 01 ?
Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:07pm

Hi there,
I was suggested this site from my brother as I'd never heard of it before but think its a great idea.

Hence,
I have added the 01 number for our own 0800 number to the listing.

I have a question for others though,
We are doing some local advertising and have been showing the 0800 number, then we tried the 01483 number and now we use both !

what do you suggest would appeal to you (if you lived in the 01483 area) ?

or show both

I'd be glad to know so please help me out.
many thanks
Shaun.

http://www.principalinternational.co.uk&&Investment Property Abroad from&&Principal International

IP Logged

kk

Re: Do I advertise with 0800 or 01 ?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:19pm

I would use both 0800 and 01

Although 0800 is a free number from a UK land line, mobile users often pay in the order of 35p/min.  So using both numbers keeps everyone happy.  

[ All internal UK calls to 01 or 02 numbers cost the same for 99.9% of consumers, regardless of location or call distance ]
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2007 at 5:25pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 6:24pm

I suggest both too, but put a note next to the numbers as to which number callers should use. Remember calls to your 0800 number cost your business the same regardless of where the call comes from or whether it benefits the caller or not.

Calls from landlines are free to 0800 numbers, but for customers with a packages where calls to 01 numbers are included at no extra charge (so are free anyway), there would be no benefit for them to call 0800, so it would be preferable if you could dissuade callers in this case.

So in essence, the only benefit financially to the caller of calling a 0800 number is for those on landline packages where calls are chargeable.

Mobile providers can charge more to call 0800 than calling 01 numbers, remember we are living in rip off Britain!

It's up to you how you word this, just informing you how it works.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2007 at 6:25pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:06pm

Yup, use both numbers.
Well done for thinking of your caller.
And the idea of a little guidance is excellent. An ideal way to get the message out.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:28pm

You definitely need to show both numbers.

0800 is best for anyone calling from a home landline as the call is free of charge to them by that route.

But unfortunately due to the ineptitude of Ofcom 0800 has been allowed to be charged at a premium rate from both mobiles (where it is excluded from bundled minutes on contracts and charged at a much higher rate than normal calls by some Pay As You Go operators like Tmobile) and also for International calls.  Someone in the USA could call a UK 01 or 02 number for the equivalent of less than a penny a minute with the cheapest carrier but calling an 0800 number might cost them 30p per minute or more with the same carrier.

The best way to do it is probably to quote your 0800 number slightly more prominently in the advert and then show the 01 number in international calling format eg +44 1306 787549.  And anyone who has a UK mobile rather than calling from abroad can actually even key in the number in that format on their mobile and it will work (all mobiles have a + key for the international access code on them somewhere.)

I suppose you could should "if you are calling from a landline" against your 0800 number and "if you are calling from a mobile or overseas" against the 01 number but perhaps that might over complicate things.  Most customers who care which number they are calling will be aware which numbers they should use in most circumstances and I think most people know that 0800 numbers are not free and can be very expensive to call from a mobile phone.

<div style=

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2007 at 7:54pm

I agree with others that you should show both. The 0800 costs from mobiles so the geo number if preferable for them and also people like me who have an inclusive landline package will use the geo number as I can't get the discount twice so I might as well save you the cost of the call by using the geo number so you don't have to pay for me using the 0800 number.

IP Logged

principal

Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 1:07pm

Many thanks for all your replies.

By the sounds of it we ought to use both, so we'll continue with that.

It seems the whole idea of the 0800 freephone is a dying breed.  So many people use their mobile all the time or have inclusive minutes on their landline that I can't see the long term benefit - but the whole idea was to save the customer the cost of the call !

So here we are a company operating in 2007 and trying to give our customers the chance to talk to us for free and we have these hurdles to climb over.

I could just put in a 0870 number at 25ppm but would I get less calls ? who knows.  But were not out to rip off our customers so we continue to offer the 0800 to those who can use it and wish them well.

thanks again,
Shaun.

http://www.principalinternational.co.uk&&Investment Property Abroad from&&Principal International

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:09am

On my advertising I offer 0800, land and mobile. All of which are diverted, eventually, to the mobile.
How much are you paying for your 0800. Call08 (I use them) offer 800 mins for £5 per month diverted to a landline.
Thanks to a box bought from Burnside these calls are diverted to my mobile via a contract mobile chip at far less than BT call divert.
I can offer you Burnside and Call08 details if required.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:47am

a very nice man wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:09am:
How much are you paying for your 0800. Call08 (I use them) offer 800 mins for £5 per month diverted to a landline.
Thanks to a box bought from Burnside these calls are diverted to my mobile via a contract mobile chip at far less than BT call divert.
Call08.com offer 500mins (not 800mins) for £5 per month and incoming calls thereafter are charged at 2p/min.

As far as I'm aware, Call08.com are the cheapest supplier of freephone numbers out there.

Also, on some occasions it's possible to port your number from your current supplier to other suppliers.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2007 at 11:48am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 12:15pm

a very nice man wrote on Jan 10th, 2007 at 8:09am:

Its www.call08.com to clarify.  £5 per month for the first 500 incoming minutes so only 1p per minute and then 2p per minute incoming over and beyond that.  You should be able to port an existing 0800 number to them, although your current 0800 provider may be allowed to levy a fee to let you do so.

So far as redirecting to the mobile goes you could also have something called a Sipura SPA 3000 ATA attached to your phone line and broadband router.  If you then got yourself a Voip number for your local area exchange code at www.sipgate.co.uk you could then give the geographic Voip number to your 0800 service to redirect to and then use the Sipura's call forwarding function to connect to your mobile over your landline using the cheapest current service listed at www.loiol.co.uk/cheapphonecalls/Country/Mobile/United%20Kingdom/United%20Kingdom...; Currently this seems to be 2p per minute although these deals tend to end and costs then revert to 5p a minute to forward to a mobile.  Or you can use the Sipura to receive calls on your BT landline number and redirect to the mobile using Voip but unfortunately voip calls to mobiles seem to be more expensive than ones using the PSTN via an 0844 number.

<div style=

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 6:18pm

Current information is that they will only give you 500 mins, and as such I stand corrected.
However, when I took out my contract on 26 Feb 06, I was supplied with 800 mins, with email confirmation, but agree I should have used more recent info before offering an opinion.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2007 at 6:49pm by a very nice man »  

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge