Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Number’s up as OAP fury hits health line (Read 8,022 times)
idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Number’s up as OAP fury hits health line
Jan 20th, 2007 at 2:14am

http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/s/222/222261_numbers_up_as_oap_fury_hits_...

<<
ANGRY pensioners have slammed a doctor’s surgery decision to install a 5p-a-minute phone system.

Patients have been ringing Littleborough Health Centre only to find it has replaced its old system with a special rate 0844 number.

The chairwoman of Littleborough Pensioners’ Association, Annelise Fellingham, says elderly people will suffer because of the change.

AdvertisementShe said: "There was no warning, I just rang last Thursday and found the number had changed.

"It doesn’t give you any warning about the cost – I later found out it would be 5p a minute.

"When I rang the surgery I found it took a few minutes to get through, so it would have cost a lot.

"As I understand it, one half of the money would go to the private firm that operates the system and the other would go to the surgery."

She added: "I think it is absolutely unacceptable.

"The pensioners who use the surgery should not have to pay any more to make appointments."

Councillor Peter Evans has also expressed concern and has vowed to investigate the claims.

He said: "I want to know whether this is a decision taken by the surgery or the Primary Care Trust and also whether it is following a national trend.

"I worry it will put people off visiting the doctor when they are in poor health."

Littleborough Health Centre refused to comment on the new phone number but said it would contact Mrs Fellingham.

A spokeswoman for Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale Primary Care Trust said: "Last year health minister John Hutton banned health services from operating premium and national rate telephone numbers that charge patients over the odds.

"National rate telephone numbers start with an ‘087’ prefix. Premium rate telephone numbers start with the digits ‘09’.

"In accordance with NHS guidance health services can use numbers that offer patients a guaranteed low rate call such as ‘0844’ numbers like the one introduced by Littleborough Group Practice.

"The new 0844 charges patients local rates and is compliant with the relevant legislation and guidance."
>>

Yet more bullsht from an NHS spokesperson - what on earth does "guaranteed low rate call such as ‘0844’ numbers" mean in English?

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Number’s up as OAP fury hits health line
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 10:31am

idb wrote on Jan 20th, 2007 at 2:14am:
"The new 0844 charges patients local rates and is compliant with the relevant legislation and guidance."

Victor Medlrew hat on - "I Don't Believe It"! Shocked Angry Cry

With the Information Commissioner's Office also just getting an 0845 number and calling it local rate the moment is ripe to strike with MPs, the Parliamentary Ombudsman and the EU Commissioner to suggest a total dereliction of duty by Ofcom in failing to educate members of the public about the real cost of 084/7 calls and the fact that they are not local/national rate.

Ofcom are nothing but a charter for telecoms scammers to operate legally and have failed to deal adequately with an issue that they had every opportunity to address. Angry Angry Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

moneysavin

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 11:23am

The mission statement of the trust in question.
http://www.hmpct.nhs.uk/

is "Our purpose is to make sure everybody who lives in Heywood and Middleton has access to the right care in the right place, at the right time and to reduce health inequalities"

But fails to take into account that by not stopping/condoning the use of what is effectively  a low rate premium number they will be encouraging inequalities as people will be loath to ring it because of the extra cost of calling it. Particularly for those who have to use a payg mobile or a phonebox.
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2007 at 6:14pm by moneysavin »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 11:41am

moneysavin wrote on Jan 20th, 2007 at 11:23am:
Particularly for those who have to use a landline or a callbox.

I think you meant Pay As You Go mobile phone or callbox?

<div style=

IP Logged

kk

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 5:19pm

Yesterday we see official reports that the average earnings of a GP are now over £100,000 a year.  It is nice to see that the doctors of Rochdale can now make a little extra from patents by the use of the special rate 0844 telephone number - and officially sanctioned at that.  

The good people Rochdale must draw comforted from the news that their taxes are put to such good use and that the Minister is so helpful.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2007 at 5:14pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

moneysavin

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2007 at 6:14pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 20th, 2007 at 11:41am:
moneysavin wrote on Jan 20th, 2007 at 11:23am:
Particularly for those who have to use a landline or a callbox.

I think you meant Pay As You Go mobile phone or callbox?

Many thanks suitably amended.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge