Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggest date-coding directory entries (Read 3,814 times)
cheaperafter6

Suggest date-coding directory entries
Mar 31st, 2007 at 3:20pm

Hello (and a big thank you for a great site!)

It's occurred to me using geographical/freephone numbers advised here on SayNo that some will be much older, some newer. Has any thought been given therefore to placing a 'last checked' date code against entires - if only as a safeguard to call and recheck the current applicability? (I think a date stamp would be a helpful guide in selecting a number - especially if it were rather old, and the number was not found to be functioning)

Regards
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2007 at 3:21pm by cheaperafter6 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Suggest date-coding directory entries
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 2:08pm

In principal I see what you mean, but it will be of limited benefit because many entries contain more than one alternative number. What you have said is that you will be basing your choice of alternative on the newest, where there is more than one. Once an entry has been verified, it isn't checked again. So it's down to visitors to report numbers that don't work. If some (older) numbers don't work and aren't tried by visitors, then they will remain forever.

IIRC the idea of ratings has been mentioned on here. But again, there are often several numbers per entry and if there were to be such a scheme, it would need to differentiate between numbers else those working on the database will have to check each number.

I think that the best way to report a number that doesn't work is to put another entry in the database with an annotation in the 'Other Information' field. In some cases the geographical number has changed and there is an announcement saying that it has changed to another geographical (perhaps when a company has moved). In this case, all it requires is for us to amend the entry with the new number. Simply giving the entry a "thumbs down" would not convey to us that there is an announcement. That's why a new database entry with something along the lines of "This is the new number given when you call the old one."

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Suggest date-coding directory entries
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:21pm

Would it be possible to provide a link on the number (as an example), and when you clicked on it, it could link you to either a forum topic or some comments page about that specific number? Maybe even a reporting form to email the admins saying this number no longer works?

James

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge