Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0871 Hall of Shame (Read 5,668 times)
farci

Glasgow
0871 Hall of Shame
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:26pm

I'm not sure how we do it technically, but should we not start a Hall of Shame for those companies that just switched from 0870 to 0871?

The objective is to gain exposure from sympathetic news outlets along the 'Rip-off Britain' idea. Those here in the know will understand how to publicise this.

My first company that changed:

Expedia.co.uk

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: 0871 Hall of Shame
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 9:52pm

Other companies have been mentioned. I know Going Places has. I think that the best way will be to have a locked thread that I modify when others get suggested. That way, it's all kept clearly in a list.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I will have a think about it and look at implementing this.

IP Logged

bill

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:32am

We know that some 0871 numbers cost less than 10p per minute to call - but it's no surprise that Going Places' number is not one of those.

The question to all companies changing to 0871 numbers must be, "Why did you change to a 10p per minute 0871 number and not to a 10p per minute 0901 98 number?"

Apart from the fact that call queueing is not banned on 0871 numbers but is on 09 numbers, the reason, of course, is that everyone knows 09 numbers are premium rate but few people know that 0871 numbers are too - so they're hoping they won't be rumbled.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:35am by bill »  

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:09pm

bill wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:32am:
... the reason, of course, is that everyone knows 09 numbers are premium rate but few people know that 0871 numbers are too - so they're hoping they won't be rumbled. 

Exactly the point - most companies hope that Mr Average Punter doesn't understand the difference. Let's face it, that's true; apart from us Nerds nobody does....

Unless we make it easy - screaming headlines " Expedia denies ripping off customers..." nobody will care. Despite the sometime arcane discussions here, there IS a real point to this - informed consumer choice

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge