Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers (Read 470,005 times)
jim.orrell

Sheffield
Re: Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers
Reply #30 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 3:42pm

Perhaps we need another campaign to "Name and Shame". the 0870 got good coverage a few months ago. I'm sure BBCs Money program, You and Yours etc would be interested.

Perhaps a publicised boycott of these firms

IP Logged

benthewolf

Reply #31 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:05pm

yes agree with you, changing to 0871 is just going to make it worse for all of us.
People need to be educated on this. It doesn't seem that companies changing to 0871 is going to give us 'Joe Public' what we want. It seems that Ofcom have failed to see this coming. what a mess as per non-geo above.

They try and change things so the costs go down, the result, companies move to 0871, making it more expensive than before. A total joke.

But how do we get some coverage on 0871 - who do we blame - the businesses or Ofcom!?

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 5:53pm

benthewolf wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:05pm:
But how do we get some coverage on 0871 - who do we blame - the businesses or Ofcom!?
Both. The former for greed, the latter for incompetence.

IP Logged

dennyblair

Northwood, Middlesex
Reply #33 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 6:46pm

Angry  Can anything be done to overcome Virgin Media's latest "improvement" to introduce 090 numbers for Broadband customer helpline calls?  Their cheery message reads:
"Hello,

From 1st July, our broadband helpline number is changing and from then on it'll cost 25p per minute to call from a Virgin home phone, plus 10p to connect. Mobiles and other networks may vary. The new number is 0906 212 1111.

Over and above this, we want to make it quicker and easier for you to find the information you need. So when you need help, here's what to do:

Step 1

If you're having trouble with your broadband service, for example if it's running slower than it should be, or you're having trouble seeing certain pages, the first thing to do is switch off your computer and modem, then restart it again. This may repair any basic faults right away and get you back up and running quickly.

Step 2

If that didn't work, the next thing to do is call our service status line on 0800 561 0061 to find out if there's a problem in your area. It's absolutely free. Or if you still have access to the internet, you can visit our help site. It's at http://www.virginmedia.com/help

If you have questions about things like how to set up your email account or how to sort out your internet security, you'll find the answers online too.

Step 3

If you can't find what you're looking for online, or you can't look online, then you can call our new broadband helpline.

We have over 200 Virgin Broadband experts ready to help if you're having issues with your Virgin Broadband modem or service. So they can help you faster, you'll need to have your account details to hand and be at your computer.

If you have a question about equipment that hasn't been supplied by Virgin Media, like your computer or your Blackberry, then you'll need to get in touch with your manufacturer or you can call the PC helpline on 0906 991 0001. It costs £1 a minute plus 10p to connect. Mobiles and other networks may vary.

We hope that helps and that you continue to enjoy the same great service!

The Virgin Media team"

IP Logged

fleksys

Reply #34 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:25pm

Virgin Media is discontinuing its free 151 technical support line on 1 July - to be replaced by 10p connection charge, plus 25p/minute!
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:26pm by fleksys »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #35 - Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:34pm

fleksys wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 9:25pm:
Virgin Media is discontinuing its free 151 technical support line on 1 July - to be replaced by 10p connection charge, plus 25p/minute!

It seems that NTL/Virgin Media can't decide what it's doing. IIRC it introduced 0845 customer services and 10p/min 0871 technical support last year and then reverted back to free 150/151.

IP Logged

jenniferfh

Reply #36 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:04pm

My local Benefits Agency in Totton Hants. have phased out the Geo. number over the last 2 weeks and are using 0845.

It cost me £1.16 yesterday to phone them about their mistake.  This is a Government Agency!

JH

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #37 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 1:21am

jenniferfh wrote on Jul 17th, 2007 at 1:04pm:
My local Benefits Agency in Totton Hants. have phased out the Geo. number over the last 2 weeks and are using 0845.

It cost me £1.16 yesterday to phone them about their mistake.  This is a Government Agency!

JH

Has the old (geographic) number become unobtainable? Or have they just started publicising the 0845?

If it's the latter, just carry on using the old one - it will almost certainly still work

(08 numbers are just like a forwarding service - they still "point" to a proper number, which can still be used)

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

GrahamH

Reply #38 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 2:07am

benthewolf wrote on Jun 22nd, 2007 at 4:05pm:
 It seems that Ofcom have failed to see this coming. what a mess as per non-geo above.

They try and change things so the costs go down, the result, companies move to 0871, making it more expensive than before. A total joke.

A total joke indeed - but OFCOM of course clearly saw this coming - they deliberately set the changes up so that exactly this would happen.

Allegedly, according to their website Quote:
Ofcom's Statutory Duties Under the Communications Act 2003:
" 3(1) It shall be the principal duty of Ofcom, in carrying out their functions;
(a) to further the interests of citizens in relation to communications matters; and
(b) to further the interests of consumers in relevant markets, where appropriate by promoting competition"

The above section is obviously deleted from all their job descriptions and operating procedures, to be replaced with something like
Quote:
"OFCOM's real duties, as dictated by my boss at the company I last worked for and intend to go back to:
3(1) It shall be the principal duty of Ofcom, in carrying out their functions;
(a) to utterly ignore the interests of citizens (as opposed to businesses) in relation to communications matters;
(b) to further the interests of telecoms providers in relevant markets, wherever possible promoting deception and theft;
(c) to confirm the notion among business, media and government that telephone charging is the perfect rip-off opportunity in which any deceit goes; and
(d) most importantly, to create press releases pretending OFCOM is helping the consumer, which only gullible journalists and politicians will fail to notice are blatant lies, so allowing OFCOM to disguise yet more anti consumer measures"

What's the point of 0845? Local rate my ar$e. Usually MORE than Inverness to Penzance on normal nos. Occasionally the same, never less!&&&&OFCOM - A Truly Great Regulator, if you're out to gouge consumers

IP Logged

jenniferfh

Reply #39 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 8:12am

Quote:
Has the old (geographic) number become unobtainable? Or have they just started publicising the 0845?

If it's the latter, just carry on using the old one - it will almost certainly still work

(08 numbers are just like a forwarding service - they still "point" to a proper number, which can still be used)

They are answering the Geo. number and refusing to connect me to an extension.  Only the 0845 is given as an alternative and that's after some solid questioning.

JH

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:18pm

Travelodge - they're all (10p/minute at all times) 0871 numbers now!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #41 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:31pm

Cruz wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:18pm:

That's spooky. I was just about to post the same message as I'm checking out an entry for one of their outlets and was looking on the Travelodge website.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:32pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #42 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:44pm

I think they're a bit slow on the uptake - one or two are still 0870s. I guess it is now pretty clear that Travelodge want to keep the revenue stream from their 0870 numbers when the change takes place next year...  Smiley

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #43 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:57pm

Dave wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:31pm:
Cruz wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:18pm:

That's spooky. I was just about to post the same message as I'm checking out an entry for one of their outlets and was looking on the Travelodge website.

In which case, do the (quite a few) geographical numbers on the database just transfer to the new 0871 numbers?
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:58pm by Cruz »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #44 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:27pm

Cruz wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:57pm:
In which case, do the (quite a few) geographical numbers on the database just transfer to the new 0871 numbers?

Don't know, I haven't tried them but I imagine that the geographicals have stayed as they are.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge