Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers (Read 469,996 times)
jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers
Reply #45 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:08am

Cruz wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:18pm:
Travelodge - they're all (10p/minute at all times) 0871 numbers now!

It is probably unsurprising to find that in Ireland, the US and Canada, Travelodge uses normal geographic numbers. However, it is perfectly fine to charge us to call Travelodge here in the UK...
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:09am by jgxenite »  

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 12:30pm

Just tried the Gatwick one 01293 533441 and that worked OK

Tried switchboard head office,(unverified lists), 01844 358500 that took me to a voice mail, probably because it is Saturday afternoon

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #47 - Jul 31st, 2007 at 8:35pm

Of course, all of these companies who choose to go to 0871 and opt for 10p/min are ripping their customers off even further. They could have opted for an 0871 charged at the same (or more or less the same) rate as 0870.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #48 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 7:40am

Tiscali have now changed to 0871 at 10p/min.
The porkers are really getting their noses in the troughs now!!
Perhaps we've shot ourselves in the foot with this campaign against 0870??!!  Now it's turning out even more of a profit-maker for businesses.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #49 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 7:42am

firestop wrote on Aug 1st, 2007 at 7:40am:
Perhaps we've shot ourselves in the foot with this campaign against 0870??!!  Now it's turning out even more of a profit-maker for businesses.

There will come a time when everyone wakes up to this rip-off. The more they bite off, the sooner this will be when people realise the cost of these calls.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #50 - Aug 1st, 2007 at 8:33am

I sincerely hope that people do 'wake up' to the new threat that is 0871 - but considering the length of time we've been banging on about 0870 (with only little success it seems) that wake-up does not seem too imminent.
But we must carry on trying!

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #51 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:17pm

Capital Gold

Another one to add to the Hall of Shame.

It is changing it's name to "Gold" and replacing the 0845 35 60 70 80 number with a brand spanking new 0871 number 0871 2222515 , probably to enhance the service.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #52 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:53pm

jimjim wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:17pm:
It is changing it's name to "Gold" and replacing the 0845 35 60 70 80 number with a brand spanking new 0871 number 0871 2222515 , probably to enhance the service.   Roll Eyes

Where is this 0871 shown? The website, here, shos the 0845 and consider it to be "charged at national rate".

The 0845 is infact wrong as it's 1 digit too long, and is therefore, presumably 0845 356 0708.

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #53 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:27pm

Dave, The "new" station starts tonight at 7.00 PM  under schedule you will find the new 0871 "National Rate" numbers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:32pm

jimjim wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:27pm:
   Dave, The "new" station starts tonight at 7.00 PM  under schedule you will find the new 0871 "National Rate" numbers.

I see. It's here:

Quote:
16:00          Paul Coyte's Drivetime
Laughs, guests, requests and top tunes + news and travel reports. Call 0845 35 607080 (local rate). E-mail paul.coyte@capitalgold.com. Online at www.capitalgold.com/paulcoyte

19:00      Soul Party with Greg Edwards
Kick off your Friday night with the best mix of funk, soul and disco. Call Gold on 0871 22 22 515 (national rate) or text 80038.

A complete bunch of liars then.

Would you believe it, the 0871 2222515 number is 10p/min at all times from a BT landline. Call, whilst you're out and about, from your mobile and you're likely to be charged anything upto 40p/min.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:35pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #55 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:51pm

jimjim wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 4:27pm:

Contact GCap Media's chief executive, Ralph Bernard, about this. Email addresses are firstname.lastname@gcapmedia.com

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #56 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 5:30pm

Atleast one radio station has made a somewhat good move in reference to 0870 numbers - Galaxy Yorkshire (and presumably all the other Galaxy stations, although I haven't checked) have now moved "down" to an 0845 number for phone-ins. The new Galaxy Yorkshire number is 0845 14 82200 (which, incidentally enough, matches their text number 82200).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #57 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 11:53pm

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~1083772,00.html

Bristol City FC

Can't copy and paste text, at least not without disproportionate effort, so:

0870 number being replaced with 0871.

New number described as 'national rate'

See url above.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

vinylweatherman

Reply #58 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 4:52pm

This just shows OFCOM is "not fit for purpose". OFCOM stated that they did not expect to see companies mass migrating to 0871 as they assured us that it was the facilities they were interested in, which would not change.
     A table of companies making the change between the OFCOM announcement and the changes next February will be useful in demonstrating how big a snub UK Business has delivered to both OFCOM and citizens.
  So far, only Tiscali has come to my attention, but it seems that together we will find many more.

I have already tried complaining about mis advertised 0870 numbers, but it gets me nowhere, the company simply claim ignorance, and promise to "look into it", but nothing changes.

One dodge is to phone the free or geographical number, and claim you have tried without success to phone the preferred 0845 or 0870 number, and have found/been given, "this number". This should get you put through rather than told the preferred numbers to call. I have even claimed my "phone provider seems to have blocked 0870...., and the only other alternative would be to write in".

Any complaint needs to be supported by evidence, so many complaints about this topic fail because they are put into general terms. One example would be 0844, I would have to demonstrate an actual instance of a rip-off, or failure to get through, in order to pursue a complaint.

Virgin Media - they still have 150, and all it takes is a threat to cancel and they will "cut a deal". I was able to get £20 off a month over the loss of SKY ONE, and this was before the change to Broadband phone support. I previously complained when they changed from 151 to 0845, and they changed back to the 151 service a couple of months later. Broadband support is not even worth the geographic charge, let alone the 0906, half of it is done from India, where they are graduates, but totally clueless outside of their script of tests and responces. They completely misdiagnosed my problem TWICE, and when the engineer finally came a different problem was found.
   They will make a lot of money from the new 0906 broadband number when there is an "area fault", this is because they only declare one if a given number of customers call to report a problem. This means that nothing will be done UNTIL they have enough "volunteers" on their 0906 number, after which the service status line will be updated and a fault declared. All engineer bookings will then be cancelled, not that they let you know, and this can be confirmed by phoning 0906 after you have waited in all day and no-one turns up.
    With the change to Virgin Media, they have resumed the NTL habit of each change being detrimental to the customer.

I spoke to TalkTalk about their "free" broadband and asked about the cost of technical support. They told me this was free from a TalkTalk landline (I have not verified this - I never trust such statements from a sales rep, but I will use this against Virgin Media at the first opportunity).

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #59 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 5:06pm

I can vouch that from a TalkTalk landline, the calls to their 0870 support numbers are free. Even if the people on the other end are inept at doing anything outside their scripts (like every other broadband provider it seems), atleast it is free from our landline. That said, there are geographic equivalents in the database for TalkTalk (one that gets you straight through to second line, who are a damn side better than first line!)
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2007 at 5:07pm by jgxenite »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge