Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers (Read 470,081 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers
Reply #90 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 10:18am

Well it looks if you were badly advised in the first place, as all 01, 02 & 03 numbers are free on a lot of packages and 08 numbers a'int. So anyone telephoning an 08 number is going to be rightly miffed. Also any 08 number, whether it is a 'local' call or not, costs an arm and a leg from a mobile.

IP Logged

Precision_Print

Reply #91 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:14am

I just wanted to clear up the fact that we`re not making money out of this, even if the Telephone companies are.

Just an update, we have published our 01 number on our website contact page. as an alternative to 0845.

[url]http://www.precisionprint.co.uk/index.php?page=contact[/url]

IP Logged

ms01

Reply #92 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:43am

sherbert wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 10:18am:
Well it looks if you were badly advised in the first place, as all 01, 02 & 03 numbers are free on a lot of packages and 08 numbers a'int. So anyone telephoning an 08 number is going to be rightly miffed. Also any 08 number, whether it is a 'local' call or not, costs an arm and a leg from a mobile.

Bang on! That really sums up this whole industry scam. Angry

IP Logged

beanoni

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reply #93 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 9:28am

Add AOL to the list.  This is a quote from an email received by a customer as posted at HotUKDeals:

Quote:
2. Our Member Services number is changing
From 26th November 2007, the main Member Services customer support number will be changing from 0870 320 2020 to 0844 499 5555.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #94 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:27pm

In view of my latest post under National Trust (article in magazine) I think this organisation should be added to the Hall of Shame forthwith!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #95 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 3:34pm

http://www.hardens.com/articles/article_details.php?type=blog&id=566

<<
FIFTEEN JOINS THE 0871 RIP-OFF

An emissary of Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen N1 calls the Harden’s office. You’ve published the wrong website, she says, and the phone number’s wrong too.

Well, it all depends what you mean by wrong. It does seem that the website and phone details have been changed in recent times. Quite why the website has changed – from fifteenrestaurant.com to fifteen.net is a bit of a mystery – but there it is.

Why might it be, though, that the official telephone number has changed from the relatively catchy 7251 1515 – now disconnected – to 0871 330 1515? Perhaps it has something to do with the new number being one of those premium numbers, which those of us not au fait with the nuances of the telecom business refer to as a ‘rip-off’?

Reference to the excellent saynoto0870.com confirms that there is an alternative number, which is 020 7702 5511, which does indeed seem to work. Those of you who think it’s outrageous to be charged for the privilege of booking a restaurant table might like to use that instead.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #96 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 3:48pm

Quote:
An emissary of Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen N1 calls the Harden’s office. You’ve published the wrong website, she says, and the phone number’s wrong too.

Good on Harden's for not changing either the web address or phone number. The page for Fifteen's London restaurant is here.

Quote:
Well, it all depends what you mean by wrong. It does seem that the website and phone details have been changed in recent times. Quite why the website has changed – from fifteenrestaurant.com to fifteen.net is a bit of a mystery – but there it is.

Why might it be, though, that the official telephone number has changed from the relatively catchy 7251 1515 – now disconnected – to 0871 330 1515? Perhaps it has something to do with the new number being one of those premium numbers, which those of us not au fait with the nuances of the telecom business refer to as a ‘rip-off’?

Perhaps the premium number is paying for the purchase of the domain fifteen.net which was presumably not available when they got the unmemorable fifteenrestaurant.com.  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Reference to the excellent saynoto0870.com confirms that there is an alternative number, which is 020 7702 5511, which does indeed seem to work. Those of you who think it’s outrageous to be charged for the privilege of booking a restaurant table might like to use that instead.

I've moved that number to the verified list. Note how they give +44 870 for calling from abroad.
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007 at 3:57pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #97 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 9:22am

It would appear that we aren't the only country to use premium rate numbers for contact...

From http://www.fifteen.net/contact/Pages/default.aspx:

Fifteen Amsterdam: 0900 343 8336 (premium rate - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_the_Netherlands#Overview_and_h...)
Fifteen Melbourne: 1300 799 415 ("local rate" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Australia#Other_non-geographic...)

However, in those countries, the real geographic number is given as the alternative. Someone will be rolling in the cash somewhere...

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #98 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 2:45am

Quote:
Fifteen Melbourne: 1300 799 415 "local rate"

1300 numbers in Australia are charged at a single price regardless of the length of the call. Typically, it is 25c (which IS more than a 'local' call, which will usually cost 17c) - but local calls and calls to 1300 numbers are untimed. This means that if it is a "quick" call, it can be seen as expensive, but if you are hanging on for 40 minutes or so, the cost is quite reasonable. In addition, 1300 numbers are generally charged the same as a 'normal' call on most cell phone plans.

They are expensive if VoIP is used, as many plans include all normal calls in the monthly plan cost, but continue to charge extra for a 1300 call. In addition, they are almost impossible to call from outside Australia (as I have found out!). Luckily, most organisations will happily give you a 'normal' alternative.

IP Logged

jimjim

Reply #99 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 3:53pm

Probably the first of many Sky number changes, Sky Travel has changed from an 0870 number to a 0871 number.

IP Logged

crabtree

Wigan
Reply #100 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 1:55pm

The SIA (Security Industries Authority) now changed from an 0870 to an 0844 number.

IP Logged

analyst

Reply #101 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 1:14pm

Just for your common interest.

I have a claim with Liverpool Victoria (Frizzell) Insurance who have referred it to Independent Inspections as assessors.  They keep calling and leaving their stinking 0871 number on my answering machine to call them back. I don't call them back.

Today, after 3 messages, I called LV to complain (gave them real hell actually) about this company's practices. Short version - I said if LV didn't stop using such companies they would lose my business at next annual review and mentioned that there is a petition of 21000+ others who think the same way as me (and that represents only the "few" who are so motivated to find it and do so). Told them to pass my feelings up to senior executive level.

So 5 mins later, Ind Inspections calls me (as instructed to LV).  So off I go on another rant now, calling them cheating, conniving, dishonest, shameful and a whole host of other words of that ilk.
Strangely enough, the lady I was speaking to seemed genuinely concerned and interested in my viewpoint, but she was just the "phone girl" but she did say she'd relay it to the top.

Now then, please tell me that I am not alone in making an idiot of myself in this way.
I do believe if EVERY TIME we spoke to these companies (using the alternative number of course) we ranted at them and threatened to withdraw our business, it would wear them down.

I am no longer satisfied with just passively using the alternative number strategy against an ever increasing heap of 0870/0871 shïte being forced upon us while the smug bar-stewards laugh their way to the bank, or Bermuda, or the Seychelles or their yacht in Monte-Carlo.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #102 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 6:57pm

National Express has now jumped on the 0870 -> 0871 bandwagon. Their numbers have all changed from 0870  to 0871 numbers (08717 818181 for their main contact).

See http://www.nationalexpress.com/utilities/contact.cfm for details.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #103 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 7:00pm

Oh, it should also be pointed out that they are lying about the cost too! It doesn't cost 7.91ppm, it costs 10ppm (probably 8ppm if you don't pay the VAT).

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #104 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:04pm

jgxenite wrote on Dec 26th, 2007 at 7:00pm:
Oh, it should also be pointed out that they are lying about the cost too! It doesn't cost 7.91ppm, it costs 10ppm (probably 8ppm if you don't pay the VAT).

No, 0871 781 xxxx are charged at g7 rate - 8.51p/minute at all times excl. VAT (10p/minute at all times incl. VAT) from a BT landline

The 7.91p/minute rate they appear to be quoting is the old (un-discounted) rate for calls to 0870 numbers - so is their supplier telling them porkies?
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2007 at 8:06pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge