Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thumbs up to Pension Advisory Service (Read 10,924 times)
Keith

Surrey
Thumbs up to Pension Advisory Service
Apr 5th, 2007 at 4:46pm

A few weeks ago I called the PAS for advice. At the end of the call I pointed out that I thought they should give an alternative to their 0845 number and explained the issue.

I normally expect my comments to be ignored however today I had a call from someone who looks after their admin side. Following my previous conversation they have been talking to BT and wanted to call me to get more information. They were completely unaware of the issue prior to this (why don't OFCOM understand this is the case for many organisations who provide 0845 numbers genuinely believing they are helping people).

Nice to see an organisation listening and taking action.

Well done PAS. Smiley

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: Thumbs up to Pension Advisory Service
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:06pm

But what action have/will they take? Nothing!
As they are making money from these calls I doubt that they will change the number,same as HMRC, DVLA  passport office, NHS Direct, etc.

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2007 at 5:08pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 7:31pm

Unlike ther others you mention they are not a govt agency, they are a charity and the advisors give up their time for nothing in return. Let's give credit where it is due - they didn't have to call me, but they did.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 11:05am

I was under the impression the PAS,(Pensions Advisory Service?), was part of DWP, (Department of Works & Pensions), or is it the Passport Advisory Service? that is the problem with using initials, they can be mixed up,( i.e. FSA, could be Financial Services Authority, or Food Standards Agency), if I am mistaken, then that is what it was, a mistake, however they still did not give you the geo number, sorry still a thumbs down

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:53pm

Interesting.  Their website describes them as:

Quote:
The Pensions Advisory Service, is an independent non-profit organisation that provides free information, advice and guidance on the whole spectrum of pensions covering State, company, personal and stakeholder schemes.

However, THIS (government) PAGE states:

Quote:
Stakeholder pensions (general enquiries), call the helpline on: 0845 601 2923, Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 5.00pm; the helpline is run by The Pensions Advisory Service and is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions and the Financial Services Authority, and deals with consumer enquiries about stakeholder, occupational and personal pensions
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2007 at 3:57pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

pw4

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 6:53pm

The Pensions Advisory Service is not a registered charity (and does not claim to be).
According to its website, its advisors are pensions professionals, practising or retired, working voluntarily.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 7:18pm

There is a way of calling the Pensions Advisory Service on a geo no, I think it is via the Pensions Ombudsman, press I think option 1, ignore the bit about calls being charged and you will get an advisor.   I think there is something already on this site as I had cause to mention this last autumn.  I know it is not the same as publicising their geo no but it does make it possible, and they are volunteer advisors (and very helpful too!)   Sorry the detail is a bit vague but I was posting this in a hurry.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:41pm

Sorry been away for a week.

In reply to above posts:

a) They did give a geo number. I didn't post it here as we already have access via the database. So still thumbs up.

b) My error in calling them a charity, but the point stands - they are volunteers. They get funding from the govt to run the service and the fact that they spent time responding to a complaint in a very positive manner which they could just have ignored is good. Remember they contacted me, not the other way around. They could have just ingored me. The proof will be if a geo number appears on the web site.

c) Sorry for causing confusion on initials - just trying to save time and thought it was clear from the first post as to what I was refering to.

So agree with barbara and pw4. Heinz, your post is accurate and although this looks like a contradiction I think the subsequent posts explain why it isn't.

This is the first organisation that has ever responded to me in a positive way. All others have either ignored me or put up stupid defences. They called to find out the facts having first spoken to their BT salesman.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge