Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ASA questions truth of Virgin Media broadband ads. (Read 3,771 times)
moneysavin

ASA questions truth of Virgin Media broadband ads.
Jul 18th, 2007 at 3:53am

"The Advertising Standards Authority has started an investigation into Virgin Media after claims that its advertising campaign “Truth, Lies and Broadband” is misleading consumers."

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article209...
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2007 at 3:55am by moneysavin »  

IP Logged

Maxadolf

Re: ASA questions truth of Virgin Media broadband
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 5:28pm

At about the time that NTL and Virgin jumped into bed together, I received their advertising flyer on a mobile phone offer (Octopus).  Although the letter was printed by NTL, the given advice was to phone Virgin to pursue the offer, which I have to say was one that I couldn't refuse.  In essence, for NTL broadband customers, a mobile phone worth £60 was being offered free of charge with a £10 monthly rental and a large amount of further free phone time etc.  The phone also offered digital image capture, etc, etc.

I went ahead with this fantastic offer and, right at the conclusion of the phone order, I was advised  by the agent that they no longer had the Octopus phone, to which I responded with: That's OK.  I'm quite happy to take another of a similar spec.   The embarrassed agent then pointed out that Virgin were now only offering a basic Nokia phone!!!!   Now that sudden sell-out of the Octopus phone was within 20 minutes of receiving  the NTL/Virgin  offer to its broadband customers.  I demanded to speak to a senior manager to obtain an explanation for this demonstration of gross mis-representation, only to learn that, "We actually ran out of the Octopus phones a month ago and we told NTL about this.", according to the manager.   Needless to say, I cancelled the order and told them that I would be reporting the matter to the appropriate authorities (Advertising Standards, Trading Standards and Ofcom).  After much time wasting by these agencies they decided that no action would be taken against NTL/Virgin, only a warning!

Incidentally, have you guys noticed that as from last July 1st 2007, the long-time practice by NTL of providing a free technical help-line no longer exists.  In the weeks leading up to July 1st, and when customers were not aware of the loss of the  imminent free phone line to NTL customers, there were promises by their Indian call centres to phone back when they couldn't provide solutions to problems of their making (they never did)!  E-mailing issues to them resulted in delayed responses along the lines that they were experiencing technical problems, and with no resolution of the stated problem.

With the benefit of hindsight, we now can reasonably infer that Virgin's takover of NTL (and that's what it was, not a merger) was an exercise in increasing market share followed by asset stripping and offering the company for sale in the expectation of the share-holders acquiring massive profits.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: ASA questions truth of Virgin Media broadband
Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2007 at 1:25pm

I see that Virgin Media is continuing to mislead the public. From a flyer pushed through our door:

1. "Only £10 a month" - for the first year, then £18 afterwards. This is only mentioned in the small print (how many people actually read that?)
2. "We ... use fibre optic cables specifically designed for broadband. Meaning ours literally whizzes to you." - not really, since the fibre optic only extends as far as the end of the road. It's copper all the way to your modem. Plus - as I understand it - the more people connected to your "road-side box", the slower the internet is.
3. "There are no download limits" - yes there are - see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3073-virgin-media-introduces-traffic-shaping-... for their traffic shaping regulations. For their 2Mb service, you can download 350MB before you are traffic shaped!!

Oh, and they don't mention that if you need broadband support, you'll have to pay 25p a minute for it. Thanks, but no thanks, Virgin Smiley.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge