Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Asda Bills - Geographic Number & Store Mgr Name (Read 13,982 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Asda Bills - Geographic Number & Store Mgr Name
Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:08am

After shopping at Asda yesterday (not my usual supermarket) I checked my bill and was pleased to note prominently listed at the top of it both the name of the store manager and a geographic phone number.

Its a sad comment on the regulatory failure of Ofcom that this helpful and considerate behaviour by Asda is currently still the exception rather than the norm.  It seems that Asda's always low priced philosophy even extends to the matter of telephoning them. Smiley Smiley Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: Asda Bills - Geographic Number & Store Mgr Nam
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:03am

Yes but, their phone number for CS on the website is an 0845 number!

http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/help/offline.html

Although there is an alternative freephone number in the database:- 0500 100055

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:34am

derrick wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:03am:
Yes but, their phone number for CS on the website is an 0845 number!

http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/help/offline.html

Although there is an alternative freephone number in the database:- 0500 100055

To be fair it may be a large complex call routing system and at least its not 0870.   Let us hope they replace it with an 03 number in due course.

As to Tesco the fact they allowed nationwide replacement of all their geographic store numbers with 0845 is utterly ridiculous.

<div style=

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:09pm

I recently noticed at my local Tesco Express that they had a list of the two other Tesco stores in the area and their geographic numbers. When I next pop in (in the next few weeks), I'll see if the list is still there and make note of the numbers for addition to our database.

As always with our fight against non-geos, it is useful to see if sheets with geo numbers are stuck to walls or left lying around and note those numbers  Smiley.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:32pm

jgxenite wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 4:09pm:
I recently noticed at my local Tesco Express that they had a list of the two other Tesco stores in the area and their geographic numbers. When I next pop in (in the next few weeks), I'll see if the list is still there and make note of the numbers for addition to our database.

As always with our fight against non-geos, it is useful to see if sheets with geo numbers are stuck to walls or left lying around and note those numbers  Smiley.

So far as I'm aware the original geographic numbers of Tesco stores to which the 0845s are pointed remain the same as they have always been.

So if anyone has an old phonebook for their area they ought to be able to find the geographic number of their local Tesco and add it to the database.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:17pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:34am:
As to Tesco the fact they allowed nationwide replacement of all their geographic store numbers with 0845 is utterly ridiculous.
In all fairness we don't know if Tesco did it because they were misled and thought it was cheaper for their customers to ring (ie because it's meant to be local rate).  I'd be surprised if they get revenue from the calls as in most cases revenue doesn't exist on 0845 but there are still a few CPs that offer revenue on these numbers.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:28pm

bbb_uk wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:17pm:
In all fairness we don't know if Tesco did it because they were misled and thought it was cheaper for their customers to ring (ie because it's meant to be local rate).  I'd be surprised if they get revenue from the calls as in most cases revenue doesn't exist on 0845 but there are still a few CPs that offer revenue on these numbers.

bbb,

Tesco's is a massive ruthless and highly efficient commercial organisation that only gets where it is by screwing its suppliers down to the lowest possible prices and threatening to cut them out of its stores permanently if they don't agree and don't regularly agree to promotions like 2 for 1 that the supplier has to fund the cost of.

For you to suggest that the board director of Tesco's responsible for recommending its telecoms arrangements to its board is as naive, incompetent and as easily hoodwinked as a doctor's practice manager is completely unrealistic.

Tesco will have switched to using 0845 numbers nationwide because their telecoms suppliers will have offered them their national contract for phone line rental, outgoing calls and phone equipment more cheaply than if they maintained the geographic numbers.

Calls to Tesco stores on 0845 are not routed around elaborate call centres but are handled in the store and are closed when the store is closed.  The only reason to use 0845 is so that Tesco's telecoms supplier gets a cut at 2p per minute or more on the calls to its many hundreds of stores 7 days a week.  That's a huge number of calls and a big revenue share number.

For you to make statements such as Tesco's probably didn't know what they are doing stretches the bounds of all credibility given the organisation we are talking about here.  Equally I'm sure that Asda's decision to maintain geographic numbers and list the name of the store manager at the top of every till receipt reflects a matter of company policy decided at board level.

<div style=

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:34pm

Quote:
Equally I'm sure that Asda's decision to maintain geographic numbers and list the name of the store manager at the top of every till receipt reflects a matter of company policy decided at board level.

Well, I know that Walmart (Asda's parent) gets criticised for a lot of things in terms of its enormous market power in the US retail industry, but I can assure you that in customer service, they are excellent in every respect!

(And while the stores - or "Super Centers"  Grin - don't have 1-800 numbers, they all have a local number which means the cost of calling is generally included in US phone plans - and yes, the store manager and phone number is on the top of every till receipt! It must be a company policy Wink )

Hmmm....wonder what Tesco will do now they are moving into the US market?  Shocked
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:37pm by mikeinnc »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:15pm

I have challenged several head office Tesco customer service staff on the use of the store 0845 numbers and they all to a man repeat the same lie that 0845 "is a local rate number" and that I am definitely mistaken in believing it is not.

They all seem to behave like frightened battery chickens and I can imagine them getting severe demerit points if they quote anything other than the stock company propaganda line on this issue.

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:24pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:08am:
After shopping at Asda yesterday (not my usual supermarket) I checked my bill and was pleased to note prominently listed at the top of it both the name of the store manager and a geographic phone number.

Morrisons do the same

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:32pm

If you go to the Sainsburys web site....http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shoppingandservices/storelocator/storelocator.htm

Type in a post code and you get your local store's address and geographical telephone number.

As previously stated on this thread not so with Tesco where they give an 08 number.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:45pm

sherbert wrote on Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:32pm:
As previously stated on this thread not so with Tesco where they give an 08 number.

And Tesco head office customer service denies there is a geographic alternative and has a stock lie they give out that 0845 is "local rate"

OK I have just realised I need to stop shopping at Tescos and use Sainsbury or Asda instead.

But on the other hand Tesco have the longest opening hours and the only local long hours Express convenience store.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge