Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Setting up an 08 dial through (Read 20,188 times)
a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Setting up an 08 dial through
Aug 23rd, 2007 at 1:14pm

Does anyone have any experience in the dial through industry regarding setting up an 08?? dial through service, or a "fax to email" service?
Obviously I appreciate that we are trying on this site to avoid 087? & 084? numbers, but we have an understanding if such numbers are valid.
Technical and/or financial experience preferred, but obviously sensible theories welcome.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2007 at 1:46pm by a very nice man »  

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: Setting up an 08 dial through
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:29pm

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 3:17pm

Regarding the fax to email, I was thinking of something like this http://www.efax.co.uk/search.html?VID=38707&gclid=CJ_bw7jni44CFQQdEgodWD1gDw (Only used as an example, NOT an agent of)
whereby you send a fax to an given number, which then (and this is the bit I'm interested in) forwards it to your specified email address.
Thus you are able to collect your faxes, wherever you are, as long as you have email access.
Obviously as a one person set up, it would be easier to join a service. But I'd like to set up my own if possible.

The same thought goes for the 08 dial through. Who knows, you might be going through my service in future!

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 9:06pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 3:17pm:
Regarding the fax to email, I was thinking of something like this http://www.efax.co.uk/search.html?VID=38707&gclid=CJ_bw7jni44CFQQdEgodWD1gDw (Only used as an example, NOT an agent of)
whereby you send a fax to an given number, which then (and this is the bit I'm interested in) forwards it to your specified email address.
Thus you are able to collect your faxes, wherever you are, as long as you have email access.
Obviously as a one person set up, it would be easier to join a service. But I'd like to set up my own if possible.

The same thought goes for the 08 dial through. Who knows, you might be going through my service in future!

I use eFax and it works perfectly; all my faxes are forwarded to e-mail. As I pay a subscription I can also send faxes using fax-to-web ie: from any browser. Incidentally, being a true 'son of Noto0870' they provided me with an 01x fax number at no extra charge Wink

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 11:47pm

However, what I am trying to ask for is............
How do I go about setting up a service for myself, with the intention of selling it on to others, as a commercial enterprise, in a similar vein to eFax?

IP Logged

moneysavin

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 3:00am

Sorry i cant help, but a Free Fax to E-Mail service using 0845 is already available here.

http://customers.aceinternet.co.uk/telco/
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2007 at 3:03am by moneysavin »  

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 5:37pm

That's just it. I can get free fax to email services, with the sender paying the bills.
In fact I can get any amount of them with a 30 second Google. But what I cannot seem to find is the info of how to actually set up my own company offering the service.
For this instance I don't mind the service using an 0870. It's in the other party's interest to send it, and I don't want to tie up my phone with a fax. And before anyone says that the machines can pick up when it a fax signal,.. the phone is always diverted to the mobile, and there's nothing worse than listening to a fax screaming through your earpiece when you are driving.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2007 at 6:31pm

I don't understand why you want to do it yourself, however here you go...

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Fax+to+email

Using Asterisk (the open source pbx) you can do it.  Sign up for a free voip acount that gives you an incoming number, and use that as your fax number.  Just google about (or follow the links elsewhere on that website) and you can get free NGN and geographic numbers in the UK or abroad.  Asterisk will run under any UNIX-like operating system, and I think there is a port for windows.  It can even run directly on your router as a package under OpenWRT (though I don't know if that way generally has got the power to do faxes).

If you don't have a *nix machine about, but do have a spare PC, then trixbox have downloadable install discs that will (wipe it, and) set up a complete system for you, complete with easy to use web based interface, I believe,

Rob

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 12:28am

a very nice man wrote on Aug 24th, 2007 at 5:37pm:
That's just it. I can get free fax to email services, with the sender paying the bills.
In fact I can get any amount of them with a 30 second Google. But what I cannot seem to find is the info of how to actually set up my own company offering the service.
For this instance I don't mind the service using an 0870. It's in the other party's interest to send it, and I don't want to tie up my phone with a fax. And before anyone says that the machines can pick up when it a fax signal,.. the phone is always diverted to the mobile, and there's nothing worse than listening to a fax screaming through your earpiece when you are driving.

I don't understand this either

If it were possible to get a free fax to email ordinary area code number, why would anyone either get a free 0870 number one instead, or pay for the other?

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:48pm

Andy9
I'm not quite sure where the misunderstanding is, but.....................

I wasn't looking for a free to everybody service, where they issue a landline number, do all the donkey work, and expect nothing in return.
I can get, and have since got, a fax to email service that operates at no cost to me, whereby the sender pays 10p per min on an 0871. It's in the sender's interest to send it (trust me, it is) and I get a fax receiver whereby I can get my faxes wherever I have email access. As I often go abroad, or sometimes need further instructions which need a paper copy issued whilst on the road, this service is great for me.

If it's good enough for the likes of eFax to operate a business offering this service, then why not me? Hence the question posed in the first post. Subsequent explanation in the third post, and reiteration in the fifth and seventh posts.

Thank you Irrelevant for the pointer to the asterix set up. It would appear my current supplier operates in the same way. So obviously this is the method I need to study more.

But it still leaves the other question about setting up a dial through service.
But if fax to email caused problems then who knows what will happen with dial through.
Any thoughts on the last bit?
let's consider the F T E service dealt with.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:05pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:48pm:
But it still leaves the other question about setting up a dial through service.
But if fax to email caused problems then who knows what will happen with dial through.
Any thoughts on the last bit?

Oh that's even easier...

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+DISA

DISA - Direct Inward System Access

i.e. incoming calls get given an "internal" dialtone from which they can then dial out to anywhere that your routing rules allow.

For your application, just make sure you only allow outgoing calls to destinations that cost less than the revenue you get from the incoming calls..

Asterisk is a bit of a learning curve, especially if you get "deep and dirty" with the configuration files and not use one of the friendly GUI applications, but it has the power to do pretty much anything you want, telecoms wise.

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:26pm

So in reply to Irrelevent.

My Very Basic interpretation.
I buy 50000 minutes of voip time. The suppliers of voipstunt etc offer this facility.
This will allow me to dial europe for 0.2p per min (example only)
I configure Astrix to only allow access to these countries.
I rent an 08?? number with multiple lines. (how many pcs would be required?)
This line charges at 1p per min with 0.5p going to BT (example) for carrying the initial call.
I sit back and rake in 0.3p per min, every min. Paying for rent etc from my cut.
Have I understood correctly?

This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:34pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:48pm:
Andy9
I wasn't looking for a free to everybody service, where they issue a landline number, do all the donkey work, and expect nothing in return.
I can get, and have since got, a fax to email service that operates at no cost to me, whereby the sender pays 10p per min on an 0871. It's in the sender's interest to send it (trust me, it is) and I get a fax receiver whereby I can get my faxes wherever I have email access. As I often go abroad, or sometimes need further instructions which need a paper copy issued whilst on the road, this service is great for me.

I think people already knew what you were talking about.

An 01xxx number is even more in the sender's interest, but if you can't find this, then use an 0845 or 0870 number.

I suppose I could forward an 0871 to the other number and make a few pence, but why - I didn't think that was the ethic of this place

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:44pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:26pm:
So in reply to Irrelevent.

My Very Basic interpretation.
I buy 50000 minutes of voip time. The suppliers of voipstunt etc offer this facility.
This will allow me to dial europe for 0.2p per min (example only)
I configure Astrix to only allow access to these countries.
I rent an 08?? number with multiple lines. (how many pcs would be required?)
This line charges at 1p per min with 0.5p going to BT (example) for carrying the initial call.
I sit back and rake in 0.3p per min, every min. Paying for rent etc from my cut.

0.2c a minute ???

France     0.89 to 0.908c
Germany 0.74 to 1.004c
UK           0.55 to 0.70c

Electricity bills, rent and rates, vat ...

Marketing ... ?
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:45pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:56pm

a very nice man wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:26pm:

Yup.  Though I'd be inclined to haggle for better prices!

Quote:

Remember to deduct your hardware costs, bandwidth costs, number rental costs (if any) and of course the vast amounts on advertising you will need to do, to persuade enough punters to use your service...

Here is some suggested hardware requirements for different numbers of calls.  Bandwidth I can't find examples for the moment, but assuming 9600bps per call (as per GSM) a 2Mbps SDSL or leased line would support up to 100 simultaneous calls. (in+out*10Kbps*100).  A typical ADSL line with 256Kbps upstream would theoretically support 12, if you could cope with the unreliability at that speed, and until youhit your usage allowance.  Of course, better codecs will take more bandwidth...

Your 50K mins at 0.3p/min profit would net you £150.  You'll probably need three times that a month to cover an SDSL line rental, which works out at 7 simultaneous calls for 12 hours a day.  More still to cover the other costs.  Then you want to make a profit..

You could start small, run on a cable or ADSL line, only taking occasional calls, but your profit from the calls would be pennies a month...  How much do you value your time?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge