Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ministry of Justice (Read 25,532 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Ministry of Justice
Sep 19th, 2007 at 5:05pm

Received the following today from Ministry of Justice,( Appeals Tribunal),

Ministry of Justice                                                                                        

Access Rights Unit
                                                                                                          5th Floor, Boulton House
                                                                                                        17-21 Chorlton Street
                                                                                                        Manchester M1 3HY
                                                                                                        T 0161 238 6191
                                                                                                        F 0161 238 6161
                                                                                  E-mail   Stephen.hunt@iustice.qsi.gov.uk

www.justice.gov.uk
Mr
Our Ref: 53250      17 September 2007
Your Ref:

Dear Mr

Subject: Freedom of Information Request

I am writing regarding your e-mail dated 18 August 2007, in which you requested information relating to the use of 0845 telephone numbers by the Tribunals Service, from the Ministry of Justice (MoJ).

For ease of reference, I will list your questions and answer each in turn.

Why do you use 0845 numbers?

This is a local business decision for the portability of the telephone number.

What is the equivalent geographical number?

I can confirm that the Department does not hold the information you are seeking, as there is not an equivalent geographical telephone number for the Customer Service Centre.

[b]What revenue do you receive per minute and in total from the use of 0845 numbers?[/b]

I can confirm that the Department does not hold the information you are seeking, as there is no revenue generated by the use of the 0845 telephone numbers at Leicester.

Are you aware of the revenue collected by your telecom provider from your callers?

I can confirm that this Department does not hold the information you are seeking. The 0845 telephone numbers are provided by COLT and as such, any details of revenue collected from callers would be held by them.

Have you considered the revised COI guidelines and if so what conclusions did you come to?

The COI guidelines have been considered, however the guidance is not mandatory and it is a matter for individual departments to decide whether they follow it.

Are you aware of the ASA/CAP rules on the use of these numbers? If so what conclusions did you come to?

We have been made aware of the rules on the use of 0845 telephone numbers and the necessary amendments will be made to the websites that mention local call numbers as soon as possible.

Do you realise that all calls (local/national) cost the same?

Calls to local geographic and national geographic numbers will vary depending on which telephone provider the caller uses and therefore not the same.

Do you realise that 0845 numbers now offer no cost advantage to callers irrespective of their location, only disadvantages?

When 0845 telephone numbers were first introduced, the costs associated with making calls to these numbers were cheaper due to them being pegged to BT's local rate. However, as the cost of calls have fallen, you are correct in that they no longer offer any cost advantage.

Are you aware of the cost implications to your callers, when using 0845 numbers?

The cost implications will depend on the telephone provider that the caller is using.

Please supply the geographical number for Information Tribunal contact details.

I can provide two telephone numbers for the Information Tribunal, however I would advise that these numbers can change. The telephone numbers are 0116 249 4322 and 0116 249 4378. For your information, once an appeal is made to the Information Tribunal, all parties are provided with the direct telephone number of the caseworker assigned to that appeal.

If you are unhappy with the result of your request for information, you may request an internal review within two calendar months of the date of this letter.

If you wish to request an internal review, please contact:

Access Rights Unit
Ministry of Justice
Post Point 6.17
Selborne House
54-60 Victoria Street
London
SW1E6QW

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision.

Information Tribunal ( Tribunals Service), website  http://www.informationtribunal.gov.uk/

Contact number still 0845 !!

~ Edited by Dave: Thread split off and renamed
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2008 at 7:58pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Re: Ministry of Justice
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:42am

Further to my request from the Ministry of Justice, (above), I have today, after waiting over 20 weeks , (I had forgot about it Roll Eyes) received an answer to my internal review request.

Ministry of

JUSTICE

Access Rights Unit
6th Floor Selbome House 54 Victoria Street London SW1E6QW
T 020 7210 0695
F 020 7210 8388
E paul.brigland@justice.gsi.gdv.uk
www.justice.gov.uk

5 March 2008            Ref: FOI/53***/PB
Dear Mr

Re: Request for Internal Review

Thank you for your letter of 25 September 2007 requesting an Internal Review following the Department's handling of your request under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Department has now completed the Internal Review. The review concludes that the Department handled your request correctly.

The Freedom of Information Act gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities. Although we have answered your questions, this was done at our discretion, as some of the questions you asked did not constitute Freedom of Information requests.

In your letter of 25 September, you raised some additional questions. Those that constitute requests for information as defined by the Freedom of Information Act are dealt with below. The Tribunals Service, who will write to you direct, will deal with the other questions you raised.

In your original letter you asked about the equivalent geographical numbers to the 0845 numbers used by the Tribunals. We responded by confirming that the Department did not hold the information you requested.

In your letter of 25 September, you raised the supplementary question

"I notice on your website (http://www. informationtribunal. sov. uh'contactsUs. htm), that you supply an 01 number for your fax! Fax: +44 (0)116 249 4253. But your phone number is 0845, Phone: +44 (0)845 600 0877. This suggests that your phone number would be 0116 249 ****, COLT will have this information and you should request it from them! Also that you put in the international prefix!

Are you aware that most Telcos abroad will not connect to 084/087 numbers? ALL 084/087 numbers have an underlying 01/02 number that they point at (that is the way they work), please supply it."

This is not the case in this instance. International calls are made and accepted at this office. The telephone numbers for the Tribunal are as follows: 0116 249 4322 and 0116 249 4378.

In your original letter you asked what revenue was received per minute and in total from the use of 0845 numbers. We responded by explaining that we did not hold the information you requested, but confirmed that there was no revenue generated by the use of 0845 numbers at Leicester.

You subsequently stated that "someone is taking revenue from these numbers, (they are revenue sharing numbers), therefore it is your Telco supplier".

I cannot comment on this. I can only reiterate that the Department itself does not receive revenue.

If you are not content with the outcome of this internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Walter Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

The Tribunals service will be writing to you to respond to the other questions you have raised.

Yours sincerely

Paul Brigland

Access Rights Unit

However we now have 3 number locations, 0161,(Manchester), 020,(London), and 0116.(Leicester), so not sure which one(s) will be correct? Although the one in the database is 0116 2494100, so maybe the 2 in this response; - 0116 2494322, & 0116 2494378, could be added?

~ Edited by Dave: Thread split off and renamed
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2008 at 7:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Ministry of Justice
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 8:40pm

derrick wrote on Mar 8th, 2008 at 11:42am:
However we now have 3 number locations, 0161,(Manchester), 020,(London), and 0116.(Leicester), so not sure which one(s) will be correct? Although the one in the database is 0116 2494100, so maybe the 2 in this response; - 0116 2494322, & 0116 2494378, could be added?

I have amended the entry which was title "Asylum and Immigration Tribunal" and renamed it "Tribunals Service" as the 0845 number is a general switchboard (some contact pages make this point) and appears on the contact page for several Tribunals, not just Asylum and Immigration one.

I suspect that the direct alternative for 0845 6000877 is as we have it; 0116 2494100. This is because (at present) both answer with the same network announcement; "This service is not compatible with this call."

The two 0116 geographicals given in the response are presumably for the Information Tribunal. This is provided because you specifically referred to its contact page. I have added these as a separate entry for "Tribunals Service - Information Tribunal".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge