Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Look East/Doctors' use of 0844 numbers (Read 5,643 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

BBC Look East/Doctors' use of 0844 numbers
Oct 17th, 2007 at 7:26pm

I have started this as a new thread as there seem to be a number of threads on this and related subjects so I trust the moderator will move this to the most appropriate if necessary.

Don't know if anyone else saw this evening's Look East which ran an item drawing attention to the use of 0844 nos by some doctors.   It was run as if it was something new which they had only just discovered and was quite well done as far as it went.   I have emailed them, obviously first recommending this site for the fullest information, adding that these nos are expensive to call from public phone boxes as well as mobiles (the methods most likely to be used by the poorest in society) and pointing out they are excluded from inclusive call packages.   The one doctor they interviewed who had not gone to 0844 expressed sympathy for those who had because of the cost of new phone systems - as I pointed out to Look East, I believe they do receive funding towards practice costs and this should be used, also if they refurbish the toilets or decorate the waiting room they don't charge the patients so why should the sick pay for the telephone system?!   Also mentioned the EU classifies these nos as premium rate and I referred to them as covert premium rate.

One interesting fact to emerge was that in the Cambridgeshire PCT area 6 out of 76 surgeries have moved to 0844 and they have told surgeries not to sign up to 0844 until the new guidelines have been issued by the NHS (or DOH).  DO we know anything about these and/or can we influence them?

Don't know if anyone else would like to get involved in this (I expect you can watch the item on the internet somehow).   Also, I don't want to speak publicly on this as I don't know enough - is there anyone who would be prepared to do so?   Perhaps they could PM me if they don't want to give details through the forum.

I have suggested Look East might wish to continue to campaign for a ban on th use of these nos by doctors and other public bodies!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BBC Look East/Doctors' use of 0844 numbers
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 10:19pm

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2007 at 10:23pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: BBC Look East/Doctors' use of 0844 numbers
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 10:30pm

Thank you Barbara for spotting this story and mentioning it here.
Anyone can see this broadcast here : ---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lookeast/    And click where it has "Watch the latest edition".     The doctors 0844 item is about half-way through the programme.

A patient tells the reporter, Stuart Ratcliffe, that her doctor's new 0844 number is "quite a rip-off".    Matthew Smith from Cambridgeshire PCT is interviewed and says "more must be done" and they are working with the doctors.

It isworth noting that Cambridgeshire PCT issued this written statement on 21st September 2007 : ---

The DoH has announced plans to review the use of non-geographical numbers including 0844 numbers.    Whilst awaiting the outcome of that review, Cambridgeshire PCT has advised practices choosing to implement an 0844 number that they should give equal prominence in all patient information to an alternative local standard rate line.   This is in line with Ofcom guidance for public sector bodieswhich, although not legally applicable to general practices given they are independent businesses, would enable patients to choose the route they use to contact their local practice.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Banks
Chief Executive

The reporter states at the end of the BBC Look East piece that Cambridgeshire PCT has issued instructions to surgeries within it's area NOT to sign any new contract for an 0844 number until the result of the DoH review is available.   This is a much more definate instruction than that issued on 21st September.    We now need to insist that all other PCTs issue similar instructions!
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2007 at 10:35pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge