Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
0844 Hall of Shame? (Read 4,175 times)
0870sucks

Essex
0844 Hall of Shame?
Nov 4th, 2007 at 10:56am

[size=14][/size]I believe 0870 numbers should be left as they are!
We all know companies are rapidly switching to: 0871/0844 numbers before Feb 08 and no doubt, long after Feb., this is fine if the GEO alternative is known!
However, some companies are also changing thier GEO numbers at the same time making it impossible to call them direct and more importantly, without paying OTT for the call, (my Dr's surgery for example).
I have also noticed that Woolies and Currys have switched to 0844 (not as bad as 0871) but still a number I will avoid!
The end result of all these companies deserting 0870 will be this once great website will have pages of alternative numbers for 0870 that wont work and will need updating!
Eventually though (with every members determination), we will not rest until alternatives are found and listed.
I am waiting with anticipation as to what Argos and other large companies will do with their 0870 numbers, they wont keep them if they can't earn out of them (thats why they chose 0870 in the first place)! 
New problems caused by daft changes to 0870 next Feb?
"SAY NO TO 0871 AND 0844"!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
They speak with forked tongue too!
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:25pm

And you may also have noticed how some of the firms changing from 0870 to 0844 (despite their previous protestations, when responding to the Ofcon consultation, about how difficult it would be for them to do because of the need to reprint stationery etc.) are advertising the change as if it's beneficial for punters.

Typically, they publish garbage like, "We're dumping our 0870 numbers, which were charged at up to 7.91p* per minute and changing to lo-call 0844 numbers which are charged at 5p per minute"  * Note the cynical use of the old BT un-discounted price for a peak rate call, the absence of any reference to [the old] evening or weekend rates and the missing "at all times" comment after the 5p per minute text there.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:34pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: They speak with forked tongue too!
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 2:03pm

Heinz wrote on Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:25pm:
And you may also have noticed how some of the firms changing from 0870 to 0844 (despite their previous protestations, when responding to the Ofcon consultation, about how difficult it would be for them to do because of the need to reprint stationery etc.) are advertising the change as if it's beneficial for punters.

Typically, they publish garbage like, "We're dumping our 0870 numbers, which were charged at up to 7.91p* per minute and changing to lo-call 0844 numbers which are charged at 5p per minute"  * Note the cynical use of the old BT un-discounted price for a peak rate call, the absence of any reference to [the old] evening or weekend rates and the missing "at all times" comment after the 5p per minute text there.

What stationery has to be re printed? What stationery do companies keep with telephone numbers on? When you write a letter the computer prints out the address and telephone number. The only thing that I can think of is buisiness cards and to re print a few of those is no big deal. Perhaps the biggest problem is sign writing on cars, vans & lorries, but there again for doctors, police, government agencies and those who don't have lorries and vans, this is not a problem for them. Me thinks the sationery excuse is a 'cop out' (no pun inteneded!). No doubt someone will put me right!! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge