Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Phoning Geographical Numbers from abroad (Read 17,721 times)
Jenpet

Tenerife
Phoning Geographical Numbers from abroad
Feb 3rd, 2008 at 9:15pm

I live abroad & have elderly parents in the uk who are not in good health.

I have a number for their GP's surgery but it is an 0844 number & I cannot use it from abroad for some reason, does anyone know what I can do as there is no alternative number?

E mailing is not an option

Jenpet

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Phoning Geographical Numbers from abroad
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:18pm

Well, firstly 0844 numbers are not a geographic number - they are a rip off number that some NHS numbers have brought in. You will not be able to ring them from anywhere outside of the UK. The only hope you have is to contact the surgery and ask for their international number (which will be 0870, and even more expensive to call!)

I would also encourage you to write to the local MP for the area which the surgery is in and explain to them about the issues you are having calling the surgery. The surgeries need to be informed that it is unacceptable to use these numbers, and that people who are abroad will suffer as a consequence!

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Jenpet

Tenerife
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:53pm

Thanks for the info. I did know it is a 'rip off' call charge. I have asked the surgery if they have an alternative & they don't have.

If I write to te MP the surgery may not look too kindly on it & I would hate for my parents to think I have upset the surgery as they are very good to them, as is their GP.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:58pm

Well, the surgery should have been told of an international alternative number they can give to those who are calling from abroad. If they do not have one, you will have to speak to either your MP, or the local PCT, or even Ofcom, so that you can get that number. It is completely unacceptable that they should not be able to provide you with that number (aside from the numbers being a complete rip-off anyway).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 9:53am

may be you can request number under freedom of information act and see what they can tell you.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:11am

If the surgery has said they don't know it, they won't know it, Unfortunately we cannot use the FOI against NEG so the most we would get from them would either be the 0870 number or nothing.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:17am

Interestingly my surgery's... Out of Hours for Emergencies is a geographical number, so perhaps that may be an option, when you are abroad.

IP Logged

Jenpet

Tenerife
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Thanks for all yiur helpful replies

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:56pm

Contact a local newspaper about the surgery.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:06pm

Dave wrote on Feb 4th, 2008 at 7:56pm:

That has been done in my neck of the woods and has not made the slightest difference, they ran the story for two or three weeks and it all fizzled out, this is a from on local doctor's website....

There has been a lot in the press about the new telephone system that the surgery is installing in October.

You may or may not be aware that part of the GPs contract with the NHS is that surgeries have to have annual patient surveys and act on improving any areas that are highlighted as being a problem.   Most of this survey is about access to the surgery and how easy it is to contact the surgery by telephone.  The results of these surveys and frequent comments from patients are that they do experience difficulties when phoning the surgery.  Comments range from the telephone ringing constantly with no answer, or it is engaged all the time.

Previously we had 2 separate lines for appointments and enquiries, but found that patients often tried each number in turn hoping to get through during busy periods and this causes a great deal of confusion for all.  Calls then had to be manually transferred internally to connect the patient to the correct person/number.  The system had been configured as efficiently as it can be, so to rectify these problems we looked at other systems.

The new system allows you as the patient to choose the most appropriate selection from a single telephone number.  It will then notify you as to how busy the lines are at the time you have called so you can call back at a different time if the problem is not of an urgent nature.

The selection you can choose are as follows and prioritised in order of the most frequently used:

Appointments

Visit requests

Repeat prescriptions

Test results

All other Enquiries

This will also allow us see what selection has been made so the call can be handled in a more efficient manner. 

The cost of calling this new number has caused a lot of confusion and there has been a lot of misquoting of prices in the press.  The calls are charged at BTs local call rate on a standard line, it is NOT a higher rate 0870 type number.  If you have a ‘telephone package’ which promotes ‘free’ local calls they sometimes exclude the 0844 number.  If that is the case, ask your provider to include our number to the free section of your contract. The cost for a 4 minute call to a 0844 number is under 20p from a landline, but will vary with calls from a mobile.

We have given a great deal of thought before moving to this new system and have canvassed surgeries in West Sussex who have had it installed for some time and there is an overwhelming feeling of success and positive feedback from the patients and staff of those surgeries.

Yea right, the highlighted bit is bound to happen!!!!

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 8:17pm

Quote:

You can do this under an assumed name.

NEG are aware of the inability to call 0844 numbers from many places abroad and to counteract the protest and indignation hurled at them from many quarters including this forum, they assigned +44 870.. numbers to the surgeries under contract to them for their telephone services specifically to enable contact from abroad. 

Speak to the surgery and if they have not come across this problem before, and don't have a +44 870... number, they will ask NEG for one. My GP surgery has done the same

IP Logged

Jenpet

Tenerife
Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:06am

Thank you all for your suggestions but I do not want to cause problems for my parents  by uspetting the surgery by contacting the press even under an assumed name.

I have an ex sister in law that works there so in an emergency I suppose I can contact her.

There are a lot of abbreviations is these replies that I am not familiar with

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2008 at 12:29am

I think we can safely assume that the surgery is well aware of the geographical alternatives. It is my understanding that there are direct dial numbers for staff, as well as reception which will be known to the surgery.

IP Logged

lucasmcp

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 10:27am

Jenpet - read this thread and felt I had to respond... Think I understand your predicament and fully sympathise (my dad is 81 and do the same, but luckily I live in the UK).

Also read various suggestions to complain or write to MP etc... but, understand you may not wish to do this / it may take too long to get a result.

There is another option (technically), but it would be very expensive - but this may not matter to you as much as gaining a direct line of communication with the surgery from abroad.

These days you can get what is known as a Geo Fix or Ghost Number, with (for example) and 0207 area code (which you can obviously call from abroad) and point this number at a specific UK 0844 number.

As I say, this is very expensive - there will be a set up fee for the Geo Fix, probably a monthly rental and they will charge you a transit fee + the 5ppm (pence per minute) call delivery cost for the 0844 number.

My guess would be somewhere around £25 set up, £10 a month rental and 8ppm call delivery.  I know this an awful lot of money to enable calling a doctors surgery in the UK !!  But, at least it is an option........

FYI - I'm not in NTS trade (so don't all shoot me and fully agree with the ethos of this site), but work with Call Centres / Advertising and have to keep an eye on the market.

There are a number of providers that could help you here, but certainly 'in call solutions' (you can google them) should be able to help you out here (they are C&W reseller).

Expensive... But, at least an option... Best of luck !

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2008 at 11:18pm

The operator Voipfone can call 0844 numbers. I was a little surprised to see the tariff as 8p + vat when I expected 5p + vat; maybe I remembered wrong, or they had to increase it.

You can set up a prepaid account with £5, and use it in a choice of several ways:

1. Using VoIP via a softphone in the computer, with headset and microphone or plugged in phone handset. Or a wi-fi phone with the account settings in it.

2. They give you a free 0560 and optional free 0870 incoming number; then you could forward your account to the 0844 number and dial your number from your home. But maybe reaching the +44560 would also present difficulties from abroad. And it still costs you that int'l call.

3. You could call Voipfone's London callthrough access number, from a recognised caller ID registered in your account, then dial the destination.

4. They have a callback system, which you can use online by logging in and entering the 2 numbers you want to connect together, i.e. your home number and the destination. There are also 2 callback method options for use from a mobile

5. Again after setting up call forwarding in your Voipfone account, you can call your account via Sipbroker access numbers in Spain that act rather like a callthrough number, though the onward number is a different format. Dial the access, then either *35030xxxxxx where 30xxxxxx is your 8-figure Voipfone account number, or *01344560xxxxxxx where (0)560xxxxxxx is the incoming phone number for your account

I realise this all sounds complicated, but I'd suggest the last one, as it's access via a Spanish landline, then just dial your number forwarded to the destination

There are rather more complicated methods still, but unless you want to start calling many destinations via the Sipbroker numbers, this is enough for now.

http://www.voipfone.co.uk

http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers -  scroll down to Spain

http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/providerWhitePages
- this lists all the provider prefixes, which you don't really need, as I've already given the *350 and *013, but in case you or someone else finds other VoIP providers that can reach 0844 numbers a bit cheaper

It's a solution for now, if you aren't given a geographic number for the surgery ..... if it needs more explanation please ask
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2008 at 11:29pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge